News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

Taken together with the Norman Course in Texas last week that I basically liked, I think these two course are a welcome change of pace. 

Is the Tour taking the criticism of the same old same old every week and evolving the venues?

Greg Tallman

I am not sure but what seems apparent is this...

Remove all the trees and replace with long whetfield like grasses and there would be those that call it great.

So what the heck is the dofference between a pitch out from the trees versus a gouge from the "fescues" to use a sexy term on here? Hate to sound harsh but please spare me the workability of the golf ball as I would have to enlist Melvyn for support!!

JMEvensky

I don't know if there's that much thought going into it.The PGA Tour has been going to Hilton Head and San Antonio forever.Moving to a TPC course is probably more about cash than architecture.Same with whether or not the Harbor Town tournament remains--if they find a sponsor,it stays.If not,hello Motown.

Sorry to be cynical,but I think the Tour's sole motivation is money--they'll play wherever they're offered the biggest check.

Willie_Dow

Looking back to March 31, 1979 when Arnold Palmer shot a 71 playing with Allen Miller and Keith Fergus.  I have the signed card by Arney because my 75 year old mom was the marker.

How many great volunteers have created the growth because of their love for the game ?

As I recall the first Heritage Golf Classic was 1969, and it was in the fall.  Quite cold weather as I recall my mom, calling from the tent.

Kalen Braley

I'm guessing from what I've seen on TV, I wouldn't care much for multiple plays at Harbour Town, although I hope to play it someday.

On the bright side, at least they still give away a snazzy looking jacket to the winner!  ;)

Brian Ross

Quote from Luke Donald today on Twitter...

"Solid day today, love the intricacies of Harbour Town. Tests all the facets of your game.  Really hoping this tournament is here to stay."

FWIW
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Kalen Braley

Quote from Luke Donald today on Twitter...

"Solid day today, love the intricacies of Harbour Town. Tests all the facets of your game.  Really hoping this tournament is here to stay."

FWIW

Says the guy who is 172nd on tour in Driving Distance and playing a short course

And is 1st on tour in Putts per round and playing on flat, mostly featureless greens

Just sayin'  ;)

Brian Ross

Says the guy who is 172nd on tour in Driving Distance and playing a short course

And is 1st on tour in Putts per round and playing on flat, mostly featureless greens

Just sayin'  ;)

You forgot ranked #3 in the world!  Just sayin ;)

To the point of the original post though, it IS a nice change of pace for the tour, and at least some of the players can appreciate that.  Not everyone is Dustin Johnson or Bubba Watson.  If you want the PGA tour to be the REMAX Long Drive Challenge though, it is unlikely to be the course for you!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Jason Topp

Eric Smith

A lot of rumors and guessing as to what they'll announce at the close of the tournament on Sunday. It would be interesting if the WGC did move the match play to Harbour Town, but in the end, I would love more than anything for a new sponsor to step up and keep the Heritage just as it is -  A laid back post major / spring break beach vacation for the players and their families and the highlight of the golf calendar for the residents of Hilton Head and Savannah. Here's hoping for a happy ending come Sunday.

Tim Nugent

I like the fact that they play courses like Harbortown.  Driver, who cares where it lands, wedge, putt gets stale.  Probably why I only tune into a few tourney's a year.  I want some drama dictated by the architecture.  The Master's gives it to me, as does the Open, the LA Open and PB.  Torrey Pines, Medina, Cog Hill, most Texas and Fla courses don't.

What I would really like to see is a new tour that plays classic courses with a scaled back ball or maybe only wooded woods (like wooded bats in MLB) and forged blades.  We could call it Major League Golf MLG.  Ah, one can dream.
Coasting is a downhill process

Jud_T

Feherty said it's the most underrated course on tour yesterday.  Not saying I agree as I haven't played it...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Pazin

I am not sure but what seems apparent is this...

Remove all the trees and replace with long whetfield like grasses and there would be those that call it great.

So what the heck is the dofference between a pitch out from the trees versus a gouge from the "fescues" to use a sexy term on here? Hate to sound harsh but please spare me the workability of the golf ball as I would have to enlist Melvyn for support!!

Haven't played a lot of those courses with long whetfield like grasses, but the fairways and greens on them don't seem nearly as flat, no?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back