News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

My "American Links"
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:01:37 AM »
Something about Forrest Richardson's idea just seemed really cool to me, so I did my own. It was a really fun exercise, I have to say.

A few notes:

- I happened to use a map that had a lot of rivers, which made things a lot more challenging.
- I used the Washington, D.C. area for the clubhouse because it seemed right, as in Forrest's. It's certainly not the easiest location to route a course around.
- I did my best with the illustrations, so I hope you call can make out the Rockies, Sierras, Appalachians, desert vs. trees, etc.
-Par is 33-37=70

So here is my design, with hole descriptions below.

1. Par 5 from a shared tee with #12. Super wide fairway downhill from the Appalachians, but the rivers necessitate some thinking.

2. Mid-length downhill par 3 from the Rockies into New Mexico.

3. Please pardon my messy edits to this hole and the next as I had a late epiphany about a much better way to build them. Number 3 is a long par 4 where a bold tee shot left has a better view of the green, and a weak one to the right leaves an awkward lie and/or view with interference from the Sierras. I know my Sierras are too close to the shore but this hole and 5 actually both improve with the mountains shifted to their more proper location.

4. A short but dangerous par 3, nearly an island green.

5. Very long par 4 with several routes from the tee. Second shot is a grand carry over the Grand Canyon.

6. Mid-length par 3. Given the salt deposits just behind the green, we might plant this one in paspalum.

7. Shortish par 4 with two greens - almost two different holes really. The shorter one is straight ahead and drivable but narrow with a river left of the green. The longer one suggests a tee shot over the river and a short iron approach.

8. Loooong par 3 with a run up opportunity.

9. Medium-long par 4 with two greens. The left green is nestled between trees and the Appalachian foothils. The right green presents an Alps shot over the Appalachians.

10. Drivable but dangerous par 4, like the ones on the front nine but this time with the Atlantic on the right.

11. A shortish par 3 but trouble everywhere.

12. A long par 5 playing from upstate New York to Colorado. Several ways to navigate around the waterways.

13. Medium-long par 4, one of the toughest on the course. A good drive and then an approach to the LP of Michigan.

14. The longest par 5, from the UP of Michigan to the northern Wyoming/Idaho area. The third shot is an Alps-type approach over the Rockies, but with lots of room short of the green.

15. A pretty mid-length par 3 to a green backed up against the Rockies.

16. Long par 4 downhill off the Rockies to southern Texas. A huge fairway, but a much tighter approach.

17. Par 5. The last two holes are quite similar to Forrest's but I took the questionable step of placing the 17th green all the way at the tip of Florida, hoping nobody on the 18th tee will get pelted from afar.  ;D

18. Mid-length par 4. If you place the clubhouse in Washington, D.C., this is the only really obvious finishing hole.

Comments and questions welcomed!!!

Matt
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:01:01 AM by Matt_Cohn »

Mark McKeever

Re: My "American Links"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »
Nice work on the layout!  I used to do this stuff every week in my Geography class senior year at Villanova.  It's actually entertaining.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Colton

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
That's quite a hike from 6th green to 7th tee. Looks like a lot of fun though. Nice work.

Matt, you need to get in on the next Armchair Contest, assuming there is one.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »
Looks like the walk from 17 green to 18 tee at Cobbs...

Mark

Jim Nelson

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
Looks great, but why leave out Hawaii?  Big Island could be the ultimate island green!!  :)
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »
Looks great, but why leave out Hawaii?  Big Island could be the ultimate island green!!  :)

Forrest used Hawaii for the turf farm on his course, with the bye hole in Alaska!

I thought the same thing about the hike up from 6 green to 7 tee.  Probably will need a shuttle like up to 14 tee at Bandon Trails, or those treks at Rancho San Marcos!  :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
7 Tee sure looks to be a dangerous place.

Not only do you have to worry about balls flying overhead from 2 and 16 tee, but also from people over-clubbing on the approach into 1 and 12.    ;)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »

Not only do you have to worry about balls flying overhead from 2 and 16 tee, but also from people over-clubbing on the approach into 1 and 12.    ;)

From the very tips there are crosses. From the regular tees nothing crosses. And re: #1 and #12, I doubt people will accidentally hit their ball over the back of the green and then up to the top of the Rocky Mountains. So I don't think we need to worry about that one!

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:11:40 PM »
Cuba looks like it could be a nice out and back links.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

From the very tips there are crosses. From the regular tees nothing crosses. And re: #1 and #12, I doubt people will accidentally hit their ball over the back of the green and then up to the top of the Rocky Mountains. So I don't think we need to worry about that one!

Ahh well explained, that makes more sense then..

As for over-clubbing and being long, you have obviously never played with John Moore or Mr. Spaulding.  They are super long!  ;D

Tim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
Is Canada the practice range?  ;D
Coasting is a downhill process

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
why not use all of America (Canada and Mexico)?  Then you could tie in some nice holes on way to Alaska and back.   
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »
I wonder how many real courses lay under the greens and tees?
Or any one of them?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:41:15 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:16 AM »
Something about Forrest Richardson's idea just seemed really cool to me, so I did my own. It was a really fun exercise, I have to say.

A few notes:

- I happened to use a map that had a lot of rivers, which made things a lot more challenging.
- I used the Washington, D.C. area for the clubhouse because it seemed right, as in Forrest's. It's certainly not the easiest location to route a course around.
- I did my best with the illustrations, so I hope you call can make out the Rockies, Sierras, Appalachians, desert vs. trees, etc.
-Par is 33-37=70

So here is my design, with hole descriptions below.

1. Par 5 from a shared tee with #12. Super wide fairway downhill from the Appalachians, but the rivers necessitate some thinking.

2. Mid-length downhill par 3 from the Rockies into New Mexico.

3. Please pardon my messy edits to this hole and the next as I had a late epiphany about a much better way to build them. Number 3 is a long par 4 where a bold tee shot left has a better view of the green, and a weak one to the right leaves an awkward lie and/or view with interference from the Sierras. I know my Sierras are too close to the shore but this hole and 5 actually both improve with the mountains shifted to their more proper location.

4. A short but dangerous par 3, nearly an island green.

5. Very long par 4 with several routes from the tee. Second shot is a grand carry over the Grand Canyon.

6. Mid-length par 3. Given the salt deposits just behind the green, we might plant this one in paspalum.

7. Shortish par 4 with two greens - almost two different holes really. The shorter one is straight ahead and drivable but narrow with a river left of the green. The longer one suggests a tee shot over the river and a short iron approach.

8. Loooong par 3 with a run up opportunity.

9. Medium-long par 4 with two greens. The left green is nestled between trees and the Appalachian foothils. The right green presents an Alps shot over the Appalachians.

10. Drivable but dangerous par 4, like the ones on the front nine but this time with the Atlantic on the right.

11. A shortish par 3 but trouble everywhere.

12. A long par 5 playing from upstate New York to Colorado. Several ways to navigate around the waterways.

13. Medium-long par 4, one of the toughest on the course. A good drive and then an approach to the LP of Michigan.

14. The longest par 5, from the UP of Michigan to the northern Wyoming/Idaho area. The third shot is an Alps-type approach over the Rockies, but with lots of room short of the green.

15. A pretty mid-length par 3 to a green backed up against the Rockies.

16. Long par 4 downhill off the Rockies to southern Texas. A huge fairway, but a much tighter approach.

17. Par 5. The last two holes are quite similar to Forrest's but I took the questionable step of placing the 17th green all the way at the tip of Florida, hoping nobody on the 18th tee will get pelted from afar.  ;D

18. Mid-length par 4. If you place the clubhouse in Washington, D.C., this is the only really obvious finishing hole.

Comments and questions welcomed!!!

Matt

Nice, Matt. Now try Europe!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
why not use all of America (Canada and Mexico)?  Then you could tie in some nice holes on way to Alaska and back.   

The Yucatan peninsula could make an excellent Cape.  I know from experience.  Hahaha

Mark

JNC Lyon

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
I wonder how many real courses lay under the greens and tees?
Or any one of them?

1 and 12 tees appear to lie over Central New York, definitely close to Leatherstocking and Seven Oaks.

I'm a big fan of the Alps (Rockies) approach at 14.  Personally, I think there should be a punchbowl green in Death Valley--should play firm and fast.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back