News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Lamlash Golf Club on the Isle of Arran
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:22:13 AM »
I read a two year old review , which for me was rather surprising as I feel they generally do not balance with my thoughts, but this time they seem to have a fair description of Lamlash, so I include it for your information and it reads as follows

The Lamlash Golf Club is a Heathland Golf Course designed by Auchterlonie at a length of 4510 it has 18 holes with a medal par of 64 and a 64 SSS Rating. Situated in the town of Lamlash it is one of the Isles Golf Courses that you may want to play and add to our golf course ratings to see if it will become a RateYourCourse top golf course.
An example of the challenge set can be seen in the fact that it has many long Par 3's, including two measuring over 220 yds. In addition to these lengthy Par 3's, Lamlash offers many tricky Par 4 holes where an off-centre tee shot will more than likely never be seen again. Set on the hillside above the village of Lamlash on the Isle of Arran, there are some spectacular views overlooking the Clyde Estuary and the Ayrshire coast, including famous courses such as Royal Troon & Turnberry. With its lush fairways and beautiful greens, Lamlash Golf Course stands head and shoulders above the other courses on Arran and really is a must play course in the west of Scotland.

The Island Map

The History

The Current Course Map

The Scorecard

Photos of the Course

Each course can leave many a feelings be they good, bad or indifferent. However at times our feelings
have little to do with the course but our own state of mind, the weather conditions and those we
share the round. So I always find it difficult to go alone with rating let alone ranking a course.
Those who know links course will understand that the course one played in the morning may not
resemblance the one we play in the afternoon, yet it’s the same fairways, Greens and bunkers.
Whatever, that’s golf and real value for money by being lucky to experience the two faces of the
same course.

Hope you enjoy  Lamlash Golf Course.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:41:19 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Phil McDade

Re: Lamlash Golf Club on the Isle of Arran
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
Melvyn:

Nice review, and neat additional information in the old clips. Lamlash to me is a notch below Shiskine at Blackwaterfoot on the Isle of Arran, even with the latter's odd and truncated 12-hole routing. Lamlash is a lot of fun, lots of quirk, lots of odd, sidehill lies, but I think the links land of Shiskine makes for a slightly better course.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
Good stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »

Phill

Yes I do not think that overall I would disagree with you, my only comment is based upon the golfer disposition as he walks out onto the First Tee.

Interesting point, the club lost its records and believed until we (that's the young ferret Niall Carlton and myself), undertook some research that their course played the other direction and had more than just two existing Holes.

As an island Arran is a great place to relax and enjoy life at the right pace of play.

I hope to post a few more behind the scenes clubs to look at and play when in the area, while not in the top league, they do represent the game at our club level, which can be more entertaining than always playing the usual top names. What's that saying 'A change is as good as a rest' same goes in golf.

Melvyn

Jeff

As I said more to come.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »
My word Melvyn, I've been called a lot of things but never a young ferret. I suppose there are worst things.

Keep up the good work. Love the photo's, I just wish I'd made it over last year.

Niall

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
Melvyn:

I also really enjoyed my round at Corrie -- after playing the 1st hole, you turn a corner, and Goat Fell just sits there staring you in the face. Really dramatic stuff. Similar to Lamlash, albiet only 9 holes, with quirk and odd lies abounding.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back