News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Fred Gray

North Berwick Questions
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
My wife and I will be in Scotland in June.

We are part of a large group playing in Fife but are going over a few days early and staying in Edinburgh.

From my study, taking the train over to play North Berwick seems like a good idea but I have a few questions.

Is the train a reasonable way to get there for 2 people with clubs?

Caddies? Share one, trolleys, or just carry?

Is there a better day trip from a city center hotel?

Thanks

Fred Gray

Mike Hendren

Re: North Berwick Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
Very short walk from the train platform to the course - no problem at all.

Have fun.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
Fred - The North Berwick station is about 400-500 yards away from the first tee of the West Links. If your hotel in Edinburgh is close to Waverley station then it will be a very painless and straightforward journey. If you're further away I guess you'd need a cab to the station but that's still no great hassle. A perfect day out, I'd say, no need to drive so you can have a couple of beers in the clubhouse afterwards. And as the Edinburgh-North Berwick line is mostly used by people commuting into the city, you'll be going against the crowd both ways, so it should be nice and quiet too.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
Fred,

The train trip looks simple enough, and the car trip out there is easy as well.  The bonus of the car trip is the drive back, which goes along the East Lothian coast past places like Gullane, Kilspindie, Luffness, and Musselburgh.  That trip is something special.  Of course, as the resident golf train trip expert, taking the train to play golf is always a breeze.

When playing: carry or caddie, and play as many holes as possible--I still regret only playing 18 holes there.  North Berwick is a very special place--you will really enjoy it.

Maybe Simon Holt and other experts will chime in as well.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jim Nelson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:45:20 AM »
I am always a big fan of taking a caddy at a new course. You can get a great history and flavor if you're at all lucky and at North Berwick, the might be able to answer the question "why is that stone wall in the middle of the fairway?". Great classic.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »
I am always a big fan of taking a caddy at a new course. You can get a great history and flavor if you're at all lucky and at North Berwick, the might be able to answer the question "why is that stone wall in the middle of the fairway?". Great classic.

Thinking about it now, there are definitely a ton of hidden features at North Berwick that will be easier to negotiate with a caddie.  We played with a member, but we would have had no clue where we were going without some direction.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mark Alexander

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:04:21 PM »
Fred,

Here's a link to my website to get you and your wife in the mood - http://www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk/NorthBerwick/
Have a great day!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
My wife and I played there in 2005 and she had a ball, loved the caddies who were friendly and helpful to the two ladies.  The ladies laughed all day and really enjoyed the course.  Crail was the same.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
Just got back from a trip.  Took the train from Edinburgh three times to North Berwick. Perfectly easy to carry a bag to Waverly, hop on the train (33 minutes from Waverly to NB), walk to the first tee.  The views from the train are lovely! (at present the trains mostly leave Waverly at 33 minutes after the hour and leave NB for the return at 20 after).

btw, there are a number of short-stay apartments in Edinburgh (day or days or week(s)).  PM if you haven't booked lodging and I'm happy to provide some info.

Fred Gray

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »

Thanks all.

Looks like my plan is a good one.

So I should get caddies, the train is a good answer. We are planning to stay at The Scotsman which is very close to the rail station.

As my wife is letting me play 5 days in a row the week before in our member guest, then we are playing 6 days in a row in fife, I am trying to make our 4 days in Edinburgh as wife friendly as possible. Spa time, a bit of shopping, etc so keeping these days easy is wise.

In a year or two I will make the Scotland trip with guys and do lots of courses and play smaller names, I cannot complain about
North Berwick
TOC
Gleneagles
Kingsbarns
The Castle Course or Crail
Carnoustie

Thanks

Fred

Dave McCollum

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
Fred,
Have fun.  We planned to play the West Links in the AM and the East course in the PM.  The West was so much fun, we played it again after lunch.  A large part of the fun in the AM was our caddie, a great gent named Alec ?? (about 4 years ago), a retired banker who  had just stepped down as the Captain of his club.  I will try to remember his last name and email you.  Our other caddie was completely forgettable.  If Alec is still louping try to see if he is available.  Rather like the Old Course, having a good caddie makes quite a difference the first time around.   I remember one hole coming in, a blind approach over a well bunkered dune ridge, where Alec told me to play about 30-40 yards less than the actual yardage.  Without this advice, I would have been on the beach instead of collecting an easy par.  On the infamous 16th green (or greens) the pin was on the front plateau.  Alec had the three of us each drop three balls on the back plateau and putt to the pin.  Zero for nine leaving the putts on the green.   It doubles the fun playing that course with someone who loves it and has played it hundreds, if not thousands, of times.

I’d never played with a caddie before going to Scotland.  Sharing a caddie worked fine for us.  He’d be one guy’s Sherpa but give info to all.    

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
Dave yes his name is Alec.  I was in a group when he looped for someone unknown to me. but he enjoyed giving us all pointers.

I hope to meet him again next month.

I've told this tale once before.

We got to the double plateau green and I’m on the fairway holding a 9 iron.   He sidles upto me and says "Fancy your chances of a Par? My pound says you won't".  I took the challenge and stuck my shot just short of the swale. It hopped up on to the back and then rolled off again. When I get to my ball, I'm 5' below the green and the hole is only 8' on.  Alec has his back to me and is trying to coax his player into putting from short of the green and across the swale. The player is asking for a lob wedge.  While the debate carries on, I practice the ready golf he's been encouraging all day. One of my best ever chips, hits into the bank, stuns and rolls out to 20".  Alec is now walking backwards towards the hole, showing the line the putt must follow,  seemingly without ever looking forwards he bends over and slips a pound under my ball!  The other caddy is in fits of laughter, saying he's never seen him lose that bet before!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dave McCollum

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Fred—

I looked and didn’t come up with a last name.  From Tony’s story it surely must be the same guy.  Very classy guy.  Can’t be too hard to locate.  How many retired bankers and ex-club captains can there be caddying on the West Links? 

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
Fred,

I'd strongly encourage you to make time for Crail.

The Balcomie course may not have the sheer quality of the Open rota courses, but it has some great (and quite unique) holes, it's as charming as they come, has wonderful views and you might just catch the gorse in bloom if you're early in June - the Spion Kop hole at Crail is fantastic and with the gorse in bloom it's a sight for sore eyes.

Re: North Berwick, I caught the train out and the stroll to and from the West Links is easy. It's wonderful seeing it slide into view as you amble down the hill.

I love these sort of threads, they cause the memories to come flooding back!

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
as someone who never learned to drive a stick shift and is scared of driving on the left and roundabouts,not even a question.Wish the train still went into St Andrews and thus no taxi required.Another advantage of a caddy at N Berwick is it will give you a comfort of when it is ok to hit.A few blind greens but also the scale with the sea and the old walls can mess with your perception of whether people are out of range.

Simon Holt

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
Fred,

Take the train, take a caddy, take a camera, come back often. 

Depdning on your ability I could recommend which would be the perfect caddy for you but if you put a request for Alec Henderson and Fraser Skene it will cover all bases.  Alec is as described, Fraser is a good friend of mine in his mid 20s, very good golfer, enthusiastic but very unexpectant as a caddy.  Both great guys who will add to your experience.  Obviously take care of them and I will try and negotiate a finders fee next time I see them!!

I would offer to walk round/take you on as my guests but I broke my shoudler the week before last in Utah so out of action for an agonising 2 months.

Get ready to have a new favourite course.

S
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Simon Holt

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 12:35:49 PM »
Oh, and Crail everytime over the Castle.  Far better value, far better gca IMHO.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
Simon

Spot on, well said.

Melvyn

Fred Gray

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »

Simon,

It will be late June so you have 2 months to heal. When will the gorse be in bloom?

I am a 14(sometimes) and the wife is a 23 so we can play most places and have fun.

I would prefer to play Crail over the Castle but am not the chief of this trip. If I had control, all the courses would be old, funky, and seaside but we will have a fun group and it will be low effort for me.

During the main part of the trip we will be staying at Craigsanquhar House which is supposed to be nice.

I have driven in the UK, can drive a stick, and would have no worries about going to the very remote and very local but this is not that trip. I would prefer cask conditioned ale in a pub that never sees an American but sometimes being a guest can be fun too. So I will ride in the van, enjoy my Ardbeg, and have a pleasant 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone

Fred

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »
Fred,

Take the train, take a caddy, take a camera, come back often. 

Depdning on your ability I could recommend which would be the perfect caddy for you but if you put a request for Alec Henderson and Fraser Skene it will cover all bases.  Alec is as described, Fraser is a good friend of mine in his mid 20s, very good golfer, enthusiastic but very unexpectant as a caddy.  Both great guys who will add to your experience.  Obviously take care of them and I will try and negotiate a finders fee next time I see them!!

I would offer to walk round/take you on as my guests but I broke my shoudler the week before last in Utah so out of action for an agonising 2 months.

Get ready to have a new favourite course.

S

Simon, I had a local businessman as my caddy in 2004, very nice fellow named John Letters.  Is he still around?

He showed me something very interesting on the sixteenth green.  Putts from back to front, or vice versa, should be played straight regardless of what the line appears to be.  The breaks offset.   Great fun!

Simon Holt

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 02:39:30 PM »
Bill,

I believe he is.  His family were clubmakers back in the day.

Fred,

Gorse is usually late May and June but that is a St. Andrews and Crail thing.  East Lothian is more sea buckthorn and the like.

Give me a PM nearer the time and I will see if I am mobile.  I will happily give you a quick tour around the Renaissance Club too.

Simon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 06:02:07 PM »

Fred

Play the Castle and you may find that I will have to excommunicate your clubs from you. Take plenty of sick bags too if you visit that 7th Hell. There are better courses further around the coast Level, Crail, Elie plus another 44 which I could name and that’s just in Fife.

Let the Devil have his own course, but play all the rest. In fact if you are playing TOC I would also play The New Course as it may well test your game but you will be the better for it, mark my words.

Melvyn

David Lott

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
When I played there several years ago with my girlfriend, we both had caddies, and both caddies were 15 or 16 years old. They were outstanding caddies, and not shy about communicating the local quirks that you need to know. I ended up shooting my lifetime low round. Alas, it will probably remain so, but what a great memory.
David Lott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back