News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Congressional
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
Have we done any threads on the evolution of Congressional?  'm having a little trouble with the site search engine and have not been able to pull up anything meaningful, but I doubt that we haven't talked about Emmet's original work and compared/contrasted it with what is there now...

Doing my prep work, I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that Rees still maintains that a great par-5 has to be a 3-shotter...he kept hammering that point at Hazeltine, and there was precious little to like about the architecture there.  Is this going to be a milquetoast venue?  Much like Torrey in its pedestrian-ness?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:13:09 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

PCCraig

Re: Congressional
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:48:58 AM »
Have we done any threads on the evolution of Congressional?  'm having a little trouble with the site search engine and have not been able to pull up anything meaningful, but I doubt that we haven't talked about Emmet's original work and compared/contrasted it with what is there now...

Doing my prep work, I'm still absolutely flabbergasted that Rees still maintains that a great par-5 has to be a 3-shotter...he kept hammering that point at Hazeltine, and there was precious little to like about the architecture there.  Is this going to be a milquetoast venue?  Much like Torrey in its pedestrian-ness?

Jay:

Obviously, I agree that a par-5 doesn't have to be a 3-shotter to be considered a "great" par-5, and that is a weakness of Hazeltine in that all the par-5's are very very long and 3-shotters for 99.9% of golfers. However, your comment "there was precious little to like about the architecture there" makes no sense as Hazeltine has some very good golf holes. In fact, given 10 rounds at Hazeltine or Congressional, I would pick Hazeltine probably 7-3.
H.P.S.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
I have played Congressional recently in its Open form.  I love the course, but it is going to be very tough.  If they want to use them, there will be 5 par-4's over 500 yards--and they aren't just long, but also bending and tree-lined.  The fairways are very narrow and the rough is thick and long.  I think it will be as difficult as Mike Davis (new head of USGA) wants to make it.
I'm sure there has been discussion on this site already about the changes a few years ago to the 18th/10th and 17th/18th.  Basically, the old 18th--a par 3 over the water--has been flipped and the new tee is where the green was and the green where the tee was.  Still a par-3, but now hole number 10.  I like the hole better now--certainly  no worse.  The old 17th hole has not been changed much, except for a new far-back tee, but it is now the 18th.
The rest of the course is well-known with the exception of new back tees.  I am looking for--and hoping for--a good Open.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »
Pat, I hear ya, but Hazeltine pales in comparison to White Bear, Interlachen, and perhaps even Minikada.

The thing about Hazeltine was how friendly the fans were and how ergonomic the layout was...perfect for a hard working journalist:  drive the car right to the front door of the media center, and have the 1 tee, 9 green and 18 green right there, so we have easy access to the flash area, locker rooms, and range to get interviews...

...as opposed to Pebble, where we had over a 1 mile walk just to get to the first tee...Where we had o drive through the DelMonte Forest just to get t the shuttle for a ride to the course...and Where we had to have a clone to cver the guys coming off 9 as well as the guys coming off 18!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
Jay, probably not what you are looking for, but here is a photo thread from a few years ago with some commentary on the course... http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35400.0.html

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:58:57 AM »
Ed...GREAT thread and great pix.  Thank you for that.  Got any updated observations to make about the architecture?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
Pat, I hear ya, but Hazeltine pales in comparison to White Bear, Interlachen, and perhaps even Minikada.

The thing about Hazeltine was how friendly the fans were and how ergonomic the layout was...perfect for a hard working journalist:  drive the car right to the front door of the media center, and have the 1 tee, 9 green and 18 green right there, so we have easy access to the flash area, locker rooms, and range to get interviews...

I would think a hard-working journalist would want to get out on the course.

But be that as it may:

Out on the course, you ought to find a lot to like. You might not find much to LOVE (I would, but you might not) -- but Hazeltine (unlike Interlachen, White Bear, Minikahda, and a bunch of other fine Twin Cities clubs) was not designed to be loved. It was designed to hold national championships -- and, unlike any of those other courses, it still can.

The par-5s from the Championship tees are longer than long -- but at least three of them are not necessarily three-shot holes for the touring pros. All four might be reachable, now.

My advice (not that anyone asked for it): Don't play from back there.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
Look forward to learning more about the updates to Congressional in advance of attending the US Open in June.  

Additionally, as a spectator, I would be interested in learning of the best areas to watch play. In recent US Opens, it would be tough to top the grandstand at 17 at Bethpage that also provided views of 16 green, 15 tee, 1 green, 18 fairway. Perfect location to spend the day -- once the storms finally stopped.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Using the Historicaerials.com website, one can see changes in the course, using 1949 as the oldest parameter and 2006 as the newest parameter.  

A lot of the playing corridors are roughly the same; the original course comprised the land of today's front nine of the Blue and front nine of the Gold.  In fact, I was struck as to how similar some of the holes are as compared to today.  The fairways appear to be considerably wider years ago.

The notable par-6 hole was gone by 1949.  In its place, you have the par-4 first and par-3 second.

In 1957, there appears to be a double green on hole #1.  This is not present after 1962/3.  

The first green appears to have been relocated a short distance forward from where it is now, and slightly left (from the line of play).  By 1962, the current green was constructed.  This does not appear to have changed location since.  

Hole #2, the teeing ground in 1949 appears to be in roughly the same location as today.

The green appears to have been located, prior to 1962, much closer to the tees, about where the fairway starts today, and slightly left (from the vantage point of the tee box, looking towards the green).  The 1962 aerial shows a green basically in the same location as today's 2nd green.

Hole #3 appears to play basically the same corridor as today.  The green appears more offset to the right in 1949, guarded by a cross bunker.  By 1962, the green appears to be moved left, more so the long axis is directly in the line of play, and bears the more typical RTJ bunkering (which is to say, front/back, left and right).

Hole #4 fairway is straighter in 1949.  By 1962, the fairway is shifted more to the right, narrowed, and bears the slight dog-leg right that is still on the ground today.  The old green appears to be located about 20 yards left of today's green, when approaching from the fairway.

Hole #5 appears relatively similar-greenside bunkers added, same playing corridor.  

Hole #6 is relatively similar as well.  What is notable is the water feature; whereas it was a small stream in 1949, by 1962, it was fashioned into the pond that exists today.  

Holes 7 and 8 are drastically different.  

In 1949, the aerial shows a longer hole playing over the terrain of today's 7 and 8.  The original green appears to be located in the middle of today's #8 fairway, immediately before the front edge of the greenside bunkers.  

The 1957 aerial shows the same configuration.

The 1949 aerial shows the 8th hole as playing down today's 9th hole corridor.  

The original green appears to be located about 50 yards back from the current end of the current 9th fairway, right in the middle of the fairway.

The current 9th green appears to have been built between 1957 and 1962.  

In 1949, the 9th hole appears to have been a par 3.  There is a practice green currently in use at the club that was the original 9th green.  It is not the green directly in front of the pro shop, it is the current 'chipping' green that is situated to the left and behind of the current 9th green.  The tee appears to be gone, however, there is still a corridor with cartpath running up the middle.

I will post my analysis of the second nine tomorrow.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:19:09 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:09 PM »
Just adding to Dan's comments on the par 5's at Hazeltine -- I was standing a few feet away from Padraig Harrington when he hit the 15th green in two from a fairway bunker. It was a good lie, and a ridiculously good shot (Tiger, who had outdriven Harrington, smiled and shook his head), but that was proof to me that there are precious few 3-shot par 5s anywhere for PGA Tour players. Rich Beem eagled Hazeltine's 11th to beat Tiger in 2002; Hazeltine's 7th has been routinely reached in two, despite constant lengthening. Only #3 tends to resist being reached in two because of its double dogleg fairway, plateau green and narrow front opening next to a huge bunker.

Now, back to Congressional.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:42:19 AM »
And one must wonder what will be left after the USGA gets through taking the architecture away and installing their formula. The US Open is 3rd now after the Open and Masters.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »

But be that as it may:

Out on the course, you ought to find a lot to like. You might not find much to LOVE (I would, but you might not) -- but Hazeltine (unlike Interlachen, White Bear, Minikahda, and a bunch of other fine Twin Cities clubs) was not designed to be loved. It was designed to hold national championships -- and, unlike any of those other courses, it still can.

The par-5s from the Championship tees are longer than long -- but at least three of them are not necessarily three-shot holes for the touring pros. All four might be reachable, now.

Actually, I won the award from the PGA of America last year for walking 91 miles at Whistling Straits (remember they had the walking contest with the pedometers?  We all learned that if you walk 18 holes you burn off one Crispy Creme donut, so walk the course, but go for a jog too...)

It came out to 13 miles per day, so I get out considerably, whether following groups or walking the course backwards and forwards early in the week to map it out.  Ask Dick Daley about that...

But more than that, Dan, every journalist in the tent agreed:  we need to have ergonomic settings in which to work efficiently and it took INSANE amounts of time to get back and forth to the flash area at Pebble because it was a mile away and you had to actually go outside security and re-enter as that was the way to get there "as the crow flies."  When you're on deadline, your time is your most valuable asset, and a mile walk back and forth from trying to get quotes is a problem.

Yes, I'll see Congressional before the tournament, and I'll spend Tues and Wed walking it forwards and backwards so I know it well and can get some insightful observations for you all.  But I'm there to report on the golf tournament and the players too.  The course can't tell me what Dustin was thinking in that bunker on the 72d hole, the course can't tell me why it thinks Tiger fell short, and the course can't tell me where it felt the turning point came in [insert name of player]'s round came that catapulted him up the leader board.  The flash area, locker room, and range are critical to getting good stories for the week, and when you're on deadline a freakin' long walk can mean the difference between being in the right place at the right time and having to rely on someone else's notes.

Hazeltine is not the subject of discussion though, and neither is Pebble:  Do you have any salient observations on Congressional?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »
Jay,

They have these new inventions for rapid communications, they look like this:

They are magic, they have things like batteries and Wifi wireless cards. And U can use them from almost anywhere  ;)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »

But be that as it may:

Actually, I won the award from the PGA of America last year for walking 91 miles at Whistling Straits (remember they had the walking contest with the pedometers?  We all learned that if you walk 18 holes you burn off one Crispy Creme donut, so walk the course, but go for a jog too...)

It came out to 13 miles per day, so I get out considerably, whether following groups or walking the course backwards and forwards early in the week to map it out.  Ask Dick Daley about that...

But more than that, Dan, every journalist in the tent agreed:  we need to have ergonomic settings in which to work efficiently and it took INSANE amounts of time to get back and forth to the flash area at Pebble because it was a mile away and you had to actually go outside security and re-enter as that was the way to get there "as the crow flies."  When you're on deadline, your time is your most valuable asset, and a mile walk back and forth from trying to get quotes is a problem.

Yes, I'll see Congressional before the tournament, and I'll spend Tues and Wed walking it forwards and backwards so I know it well and can get some insightful observations for you all.  But I'm there to report on the golf tournament and the players too.  The course can't tell me what Dustin was thinking in that bunker on the 72d hole, the course can't tell me why it thinks Tiger fell short, and the course can't tell me where it felt the turning point came in [insert name of player]'s round came that catapulted him up the leader board.  The flash area, locker room, and range are critical to getting good stories for the week, and when you're on deadline a freakin' long walk can mean the difference between being in the right place at the right time and having to rely on someone else's notes.

Hazeltine is not the subject of discussion though, and neither is Pebble:  Do you have any salient observations on Congressional?

Mr. Flemma --

To your last question: No. (Excuse me for discussing Hazeltine -- a subject raised not by me, but by you.)

To all of the rest of it: I was just giving you a bit of the needle. I won't make that mistake twice. It was obviously uncalled-for.

(Oh, and by the way: I congratulate you on your award. I was going to say Major Award -- but that'd be the Needle, again.)

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »
Thanks, Dan, I accept your apology.  I appreciate it also.

For the record, the USGA announced that they heard the writers' requests from last year and have created two new "media/officials-only" bridges to help us get around some of the large lakes that divide the property.

From the announcement:

"The pond is a challenge. They're building a pair of bridges for players,
caddies, scoring and media from 18 green across the pond and then again from a point on a hill
up toward the practice area that will help make travel from 18 green to 1 tee (for Thursday and
Friday) a lot better."

Okay, so let's gt back on the clock:  What are the good holes at Congressional?  What are the half-par holes?  (11 perhaps?)  What are the architectural abominations?  What do people think about the 18th?

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
Jay, thanks for getting this back on topic.  IMO, Congressional (Blue) is a good golf course, but a GREAT club. (Full disclosure, I worked there in 2003 and 2004, and left because 1) I missed the NJ/NY/Phila area, and 2) I was passed over for a promotion).  

I think the question you are asking is a bit broad-are you asking this from the perspective of, say, average member play, top amateur, or professionals.  Because I am currently a 13 hcp, I will answer your question from that perspective; when I played the course regularly, I was maybe a stroke or two better.  

Conditioning-wise, the course is in immaculate shape, thanks to Director of Grounds Mike Giuffre and his crew.  When I was there, each course (Blue and Gold) had its own Superintendent, and a large staff.  In an area such as WDC, with varying and severe weather patterns this is not a small task.  The presentation of the course is better than excellent.

I recall there were established, written standards for the courses, defining all details, established by the greens/grounds committees, and a professional architect was retained for each course-Rees Jones for the Blue, Arthur Hills for the Gold.  I do not know if this has changed since 2004. I have a high opinion of this because to my way of thinking, it ensures standard operating procedures and consistency in presentation and playability.  

Architecturally, I felt the course was very one-dimensional; by that, I mean the basic modus operandi for most holes was a high, straight drive and a straight mid to long iron to most of the par fours.  I did not feel the fairway bunkering in most cases defined the ideal side of the fairway to approach a green from, or functioned as a sentinel, warning players to keep away.  In most cases, I think the greenside bunkering was the same-it did not necessarily push players one direction or another, in some cases, seemed purely cosmetic to me, rather than strategic.  When I look at an aerial of the course, yes, it's been 7 years, but I can recall many details.  I do seem to remember the greens were divided into well defined areas or sections, but not very severe in terms of spines, slopes, etc.  I do not recall the greens being oriented one way or another to better accept a specific shaped shot, or repel an indifferent shot, in most cases.  

I do recall many areas where flags could be tucked behind bunkers or placed in proximity to slopes, to make getting to the hole a challenge.

Having said that, the challenge of the course is accuracy; straight driving and straight, controlled long iron play.  There are a few holes where one could turn the ball-maybe a draw on 1, a cut on 4, a big draw on 5, and a draw on 12, maybe on 16, but 5 and 12 are really the only holes that bend considerably.  

There is a fair amount of containment mounding, which I am not sure the placement of which is for spectators, due to the architect's tendencies, or the membership's request.  I do recall chatting with a member, who said words to the effect of 'Rees Jones believes a good shot should stay on the golf course' (or words to that effect; do not quote me or use this as an excuse to bash.)

I will be back later to go through specific holes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:55:01 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »
I played there a few times in the late '80s/early '90s and can testify that Congressional's Blue Course absolutely chews up all but the very best.  Long, tight, subtle greens, and pretty forgettable except for a few holes. 

Given 10 plays, it's Columbia 8, Congressional 2.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 11:16:04 AM »
Actually a true conparison of the old DC courses needs to include Chevy Chase and Wash Golf.  For me - Cong - 4, Col - 3, Chevy - 2, WCC-1.

Jay - I am part of the press as well and will be at Congo doing a piece for The Open.  I'll look you up.

JC   

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 11:38:51 AM »
Actually a true conparison of the old DC courses needs to include Chevy Chase and Wash Golf.  For me - Cong - 4, Col - 3, Chevy - 2, WCC-1.

Jay - I am part of the press as well and will be at Congo doing a piece for The Open.  I'll look you up.

JC   

Jonathan and Bill, you both are good guys, but I don't care about comparing old DC courses. Jay's question was, have we done any threads on the evolution of Congressional?

This other guy puts an Apple ad in the thread.  Please remove it. 

What Bill said, is correct.  It chews up all but the very best.  The rough is usually kept long, and balls not hitting the fairway have a tendency to sink down into the grass.  Now onto the second nine-

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 11:45:29 AM »
Doug:
I've played Congressional many times, have a lot of good friends there, and think it's a very cool place, but it's interesting that you think it's a better club than course.  Perhaps these are just quibbles, but it's got a huge membership [as a result of which they had to outsource the tee-times to a third party], the pace of play is pretty slow, and it's not that easy to get tee times.. . . .

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
The original second nine at Congressional occupies the land that comprises most all of today's first nine of the Gold Course, and parts of the current putting green (adjacent to the pro shop).

When comparing today's course to the 1949 aerial, some, but overall, very little has changed; the second nine of the current Blue course was not built yet. 

Some notes:

-Today's 16th green appears to use some of the land originally occupied by the original Blue course.  It appears that the front of the original 13th green pad was used, and there was more built behind it, back in that corner, although the approach was from the angle of today's 4th hole on the Gold. 

-The original 18th hole played from a tee behind today's Gold 17th green and all the way up to a green, the back half of which is today's practice putting green! (The green immediately outside the doors of the pro shop)  It appears this was changed between 1979 and 2002, ostensibly for safety and traffic flow up around the clubhouse. 

-It appears that some hole corridors are in the process of being cut in 1949.  What is notable is, the pad that contains the 18th green (today's 18th) was created in the lake, whereas the old pad for the old 18th green was more naturally ocurring, and the green was placed on the hillside leading to the water.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
The history of Congressional is well known and there really isn't anything which is a great unknown secret.  I attended the 1976 PGA Championship at Congressional and later attended the Kemper Open when it was played at CCC.  The course was always a big brute which played really tough because of its length but technology has changed that quite a bit.  I can remember Tom Weiskopf having to bomb his tee shot on what was number 14 and then having probably a five iron into the green in 1976 - I have to believe that it will now be a short iron for most players and some won't even hit driver off the tee.  Back then they did not use the par 3 18th and instead used a hole off their second course, the Gold. 

Prior to the 1997 Open they had a Senior Open in 1995.  I believe it was a year before the Senior Open that they hired Rees to redo the greens and it was a disaster and they considered moving the event.  They decided to go ahead and play it at CCC and I have never seen worse greens - there was more dirt than grass on some of the greens. 

I read many accounts about the 97 Open and I gathered that the USGA was not happy with the par 3 finishing hole and they insisted in the change so they would finish on the Par 4 17th. 

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 12:57:41 PM »
Jerry, I didn't know that about the greens.  Never heard Tom Weiskopf peep about their condition, and, from reading about him,  that he would have an opinion on it. 

Do you know to what extent Rees changed the greens? 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
Doug: Maybe I wasn't clear - Weiskopf didn't say anything about the greens all the players did - I was just pointing out how even the big hitters back in 1976 were hitting longer irons into 14.  I don't know that Rees changed the greens but it was my understanding that he supervised the green rebuilding/resurfacing.  I remember at the 97 Open that they had installed some underground air systems - I saw them hook up something at the 10th which I believe removed excess moisture. 

A side note - I was a marshal at the 97 Open and on Sunday my job was to sit on the stone wall which forms the pond to the right of the now 11th green and show the players who hit it in the water where they crossed the hazard line - it was very cool.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »

A side note - I was a marshal at the 97 Open and on Sunday my job was to sit on the stone wall which forms the pond to the right of the now 11th green and show the players who hit it in the water where they crossed the hazard line - it was very cool.

So you got to meet some unhappy players!  :)   Any tales?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back