News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Part I - Siwanoy Country Club
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »
Siwanoy CC – Bronxville, NY.
Architect: Donald Ross
Restoration: Stephen Kay (1995-98)
Blue 71.8/139      White 70.4/136      Red 69.0/123
6481                        6176                     4868

The Experience of Siwanoy’s Design:  History and Restoration

The boulevards and by-ways of the Metropolitan NY region are like the “Hollywood Walk of Fame” of Golf Course Architecture. Names such as Tillinghast, Raynor, Macdonald, Emmet and Travis are the prolific Golden-Age box-office stars that draw the biggest crowds and the most flamboyant notices.  Great character and supporting actors like Herbert Strong, Charles Allison and Charles Banks also have significant pieces of their oeuvre in this rich golfing district, drawing their own accolades.  But in all the glamour of those classic architects who chose to leave an imprint in the Met district, we find one star curiously missing; that of Donald Ross.

While Ross was significantly involved with the design evolution of some notable Met Area courses including Wykagyl, Whippoorwill, and Greenwich – his work at these sites served as either an appendix or preface to the work of other architects - and that mostly lost in time and dilution. But like a long-forgotten treasure miraculously recovered, Ross’ lone intact effort in this architecturally-rich region - Siwanoy Country Club - has been reclaimed, restored and lovingly reborn into the finest “pound-for-pound” golf course in a region loaded with seasoned and able contenders.

Today’s Siwanoy Country Club golf course was created by Ross in 1913 and opened for play the following year, but the club’s rich history dates back to 1901. After two nomadic moves around the Mount Vernon NY area this land was bought in consultation with Ross and included a significant portion (today’s #2, 4, 5, 6, &7) of a scuttled 19th century harness track and its natural amphitheater. The course lies just a hair southeast of where the first rudimentary club layout was located before it had moved a few miles to a Mount Vernon property between the years 1902-1913.  Siwanoy’s design has a historical and architectural significance which well-complements other noteworthy elements of its historical tradition:

1. Siwanoy hosted the Inaugural PGA championship on this course in October of 1916. The Wannamaker Trophy was first captured by “Long Jim” Barnes on the 36th hole of the Final Match vs. Jock Hutchison.

2. Siwanoy was the long-time home course of 1922 US Amateur and 1926 British Amateur Champion Jess Sweetser. Sweetser was the first native-born American to capture the British title. In winning the earlier US title he administered one of Bobby Jones’ worst-ever beatings (8&7) in the Semifinal Match.

3. Tom Kerrigan was one of the first homegrown American club professionals in an era dominated by transplanted Scots. He held just about the longest tenure in professional history as Siwanoy’s home pro for 50 seasons (1914 -1964).  Among many professional awards and noteworthy tournament performances, it was Kerrigan’s honor to strike the inaugural shot of that first PGA Championship, heralding the birth of a whole new era of golf. 

4. Siwanoy is the home of the most enduring Winter Golf organizations in America, “The Sno-Birds,” an annual grouping of some 30-40 members who compete in late-autumn qualification rounds for a 16-player match play bracket culminating in early January.  The Sno-Birds compete over the front nine of the regular course until weather dictates that the regular greens be closed; at which time they shift their activities to a “Sno-Bird” course. That course is a shortened amalgam of the regular front nine played to tiny oil-infused (for keeping moisture off) sand greens that utilize brooms for flagsticks (the brooms are used to brush the sand smooth prior to putting).

Though Siwanoy’s traditions will never tarnish, Siwanoy’s course was indeed “lost” for many years, cloistered in a veritable forest of Depression-era tree plantings and a layered-on hodge-podge of bunker styles and visual aesthetics.  Playing width had been completely strangled; recovery shots had little strategic merit and the tiny greens with their heavy interior contour were often a sour end to holes that morphed into an exercise of fretful straight hitting. What was conceived by Ross as an open, rolling hillscape of strategic tacking merely became “that tight, mean little course with the small greens and bad rough.”

In a salvage and restoration effort that took almost 15 years from conception to final execution, Siwanoy has been lovingly dusted off and polished up, ready to reclaim its place as a stalwart of strategy and shot-making in the Ross tradition.  The process began in the early 1990s when Stephen Kay was engaged to plan and execute a well-researched restoration that would subtract the layers of flashed, high-profile, oval-shaped bunker work done by RT Jones in the early 1950s and various consulting designers from 1970-1990.  In coordination with such a restoration, the issue of the 2000+ trees the club purchased and planted in 1932 (and hundreds of later cousins) had to be addressed.

Like a Mafia don taking out his rivals, the club undertook what perhaps is the single most aggressive tree removal program in the country and the trees – well, they are simply not there anymore.  The reward for such a bold and steadfast initiative is a singularly interesting and utterly stimulating demonstration of inland “links” design.  For any player or critic who experienced Siwanoy prior to the Millennium, the sight of Siwanoy now is simply…stunning. It takes one’s breath away to see the Ross course so dramatically revealed.  For as far as the eye can see, it is golf, golf, golf; long sweeping vistas of golden green terrain rolling and swelling dotted with flag sticks and peek-a-boos of sand behind a low profile knob or brow.

Possessing similar arcane charms and museum-piece contours of courses like Maidstone and Engineers, the restored Siwanoy reveals Donald Ross perfectly seasoning ingredients of frank, solvable strategy with enough camouflage and outrageous fortune to make a savory feast of trying to control one’s golf ball. Now dramatically cleared and restoratively styled, Siwanoy can accurately be revisited by the raters, the critics and most importantly, the players, to truly reclaim its long-lost stature amongst Golden Age designs.  It truly deserves a detailed look which the author hopes to provide in this reading.

END of PART I

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Charlie Visconsi

Re: Part I - Siwanoy Country Club
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »
As a Siwanoy member, look forward to reading. A few intersting notes, Joe Bausch had posted an original map of the layout from 1915 from one of the NY newspapers.  The stream runs through #1, #10 and #14 which is all now culverted.  Additionally, there was a fairway width bunker on the 4th hole (about the place of the large tree) approxixmately 80 yards out.  These would be good changes to restore the course closer to the original layout.

This winter also the club cut down some trees behind the 7th green creating about 50 yards to room behind this green that could be used to extend the hole.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »
VK:

What's interesting is how high a slope the course has from back tees lengths that are just under 6,500 yards.

Although the CR is 71.8.

Even the white tees have a high slope given the lack of length.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:34 PM »
Hi Charlie,

If I can get my pics squared away, the course tour will start in a few nights in Part III and I make mention of the 4th hole cross bunker which disappeared sometime between 1925 and 1947.

I have heard the rumblings regarding #7.  While I have no horse in the race, I can only hope that such a measure will be ultimately tabled. The 7th green is an out and out treasure and the hole itself is, for this critic, an absolute thesis on merits of strategy versus bashing, which the entire Siwanoy course resists with such sagacity and calm.  There is no replacing that green and if it goes...its gone for good, all for a stinking 40 yards. Whatever deficiencies are perceived in the hole by those who do have a horse in the race, could be addressed with far less disturbing notions.

And should it come to pass that the cross bunker is ever re-instated on #4, whatever continuance of a faithful iteration Ross is meant by that will be inexorably ended and reversed with such an action on #7.  Any action that obliterates a Siwanoy green - only 5, 6 and 16 - have been touched in terms of contour, would undo the perfect pitch that was achieved and so well-earned over the last 15 years.

cheers

vk

if you wish, contact me by private mail and I'll tell you a brief tale of a time when I DID have a horse in the race vis a vis the seventh green...a horse that came in!
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

V. Kmetz

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »
Matt,

Everyone should know that it is a card par of 71.  the 15th hole, currently the beastiest and longest 4 on the course at an everyday yardage of 435 and tips nearing 450 was thought of as a short par 5 in the first beholdings and cards of the course.

What it is, is really a classic half-par hole, maybe one of the best found.  When I get to that portion later this week, I'll go over this in detail.

cheers

vk

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:10 PM »
VK, thanks for putting this together.  This is a course I have not seen before, but have heard of. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »
I am looking forward to this thread as well.  I have a friend who grew up in Bronxville and is familiar with the course.  I have only seen the aerials, but it looks great from what I can tell.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
Mr. Kmetz, I took the liberty of resizing and adding a bit of contrast to your photo.  The old image I found on Google Images.  This looks like very nice work on your part.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
Great work Chris, thank you so much...

I want to address the text portion of the article that you provided. 

Let there be no mistake, this property which was developed into the course in 1913 was NOT a nine hole course previously...This article is making reference to Siwanoy's first two courses, the first of which ("the Rose property" of 1901 ) was less than 1/2 mile NW of the Ross site.  The club then moved some miles away into Mount Vernon proper for a decade, before returning to almost the original land of the first year(s) of the club formation.

The Rose property course, Siwanoy's first, was not unlike the rudiments of the first two Yonkers, NY versions of St. Andrews (the Shonnard Place, and then famed "Apple Tree" course less than a mile north of the Shonnard scratchings)  It was 9 holes up and back and at the foot of a gentle hill.  The Rose "clubhouse" was the Rose family's home and still exists (in location if not authenticity).   

Confusing matters somewhat is the fact that all of this original Siwanoy area was incorporated into Mount Vernon in those years and did not become Bronxville until the course had been in operation for sometime.  The article is accurate as to the Paulding Manor connections - the current course is on that land granted to Paulding for his role in the Major Andre affair.  As I mention in Part I, this Paulding Manor land included a portion (today's 2,4,5,6,7) of a scuttled 19th century harness track with natural ampitheater.

The article is accurate as to Ross' specific selection of this property, but the extant nine-holer info is erroneous and refers to the original Rose property just up the street.  It is so close to the extent course that the confusion is understandable but Ross wrought and routed this course completely by design.

cheers

vk

David Lott

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
Great photo rework by Chris.
David Lott

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:48:09 PM »
VK,

Outstanding! Can't wait to see the rest.

I hate to admit but I have not been to Siwanoy recently enough to see the results of the tree removal and other recent renovations. Played there a bunch in the 80's and 90's.

Yet, I take issue with your "long lost stature" comment. In my opinion this has been always one of the greatest Westchester County clubs and golf courses even prior to the recent work. Shall we say "less celebrated" instead? I can imagine how much better it looks and plays today!

Now... how about some similar tree removal at Wykagyl or did I miss that, too

Charlie, I agree with VK. Whoever intends to extend the seventh just to add yardage should be shot.

Charlie Visconsi

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 10:24:21 PM »
In the master plan for several years ago, the proposal was to move the sixth green down to the right of its current location  and then move the seventh tee back to the loaction of the sixth green.  This proposal was met with stiff resistance from the club membership; I agree with not wanting to change the character of the 7th green but if we could replicate it 40 yards back....  I do not want to move the sixth green.

Ultimately, the club and Mike DeVries (who is the architect on the renovations) will have to decide but I am very glad we have Mike involved as he will recommend the best alternatives.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:16:13 AM »
VK,

Thanks for posting the info.  I have been working with the club for about 5 years and did a long range plan for the course in 2007.  So far, we have not done much to the golf course with the exception of changing some of the fairway cuts, tree removal a few winters ago (in cooperation with assessments by the USGA Green section) to remove the poor specimens from the course, tree additions with proper species selection and location to enhance the golf course and not deter from the playability and maintenance of the golf course, and some drainage work.  Work on the pool facilities and recent economic downtown have put any other work on hold at the moment.

With regard to former work, I  do know that about 15 years ago, Art Hills did a major reovation to the course, with the tees all rebuilt, bunkers all redone, pond expansion on #16 and #12 with the rock wall, and a new green at #6.  I am not aware of what Stephen Kay may have done, but the 16th green is also new, so maybe that was done by Stephen and Art did the pond and fairway after that?  Or Art did the green also?

As to the 7th green, I have not proposed moving the green back.  The long range did propose shifting teh 6th green to the right, as the current green was the original location but Art cut it down substantially into rock.  The current green (as well as the 16th) does not reflect the character of the 16 original Ross greens on the course and should be redone, hence the opportunity to shift the location slightly and push the 7th tee back, which would give the course another long par 4.  The only real long par 4 on the course now is #15 - a GREAT hole -- and my long range plan looks to add yardage to #2 and #7, which were longer, tougher holes in their day and this added length would not impinge on other parts of the course (with exception of changing the 6th green, which is not original and not in keeping with Ross) while keeping the rhythm of the original Ross philosophy intact.

Siwanoy is an amazing place with a wonderful history and membership.  Truly a gem of a course and fun to play.

Cheers,
Mike

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 12:53:22 AM »
Hi Mike,

I sent you a private message to pass on what I know regarding the topics you touched on here.

cheers

vk

Tom MacWood

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
VK
Very interesting information.

For whatever reason Ross did not list the course on his 1929 pamphlet of designs. I suspect the reason being it was nine on top of nine. I've also read somewhere Tom Winton was involved in some way.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:37:53 PM by Tom MacWood »

V. Kmetz

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »
Tom MacWood:

See my Reply 8 on the topic of what was there (No nine on top of nine)

Winton (it has also been spelled Wynton) was, in 1913, a building associate of Ross, Siwanoy's first greenskeeper and later the Superintendent of the Westchester County Parks system, where he is credited with the designs of munis Saxon Woods, Maple Moor and the quite underrated Mohansic.

If they even exist, I would have to have access to club records to see when his term as Siwanoy's greenskeeper ended and his later pursuits began but Dr. Bill Quirin in "Golf Clubs of the MGA" credits Mohansic and Maple Moor to 1925, so at least by then and probably a few years earlier.

No doubt he was there and perhaps can be credited for the first "as built" iteration of the course.  I have never found any provenance on his specific contribution, except that he was an associate of Ross and was Siwanoy's first greenskeeper.  I believe he was a transplanted Scot as well.

Ross may have omitted Siwanoy in the pamphlet you're referencing but it is certainly credited to him/by him in Golf Has Never Failed Me, including a photo of Siwanoy's original green approach at #16 on Page 88 as exemplar in a section on bunkering.

cheers

vk

V. Kmetz

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »
Malcolm.

"Less celebrated" - Agreed!  Under a veil of deciduous trees, actually...

The story goes that the club purchased those appx 2000 (!) trees from a Tuckahoe nursery in Depression/fire sale mode for 50 cents a piece.

I'm glad you have enjoyed the thread so far. 

With the experience and affection you indicate, please weigh in at any time if you think the prose errs.

cheers

vk

Tom MacWood

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
Tom MacWood:

See my Reply 8 on the topic of what was there (No nine on top of nine)

Winton (it has also been spelled Wynton) was, in 1913, a building associate of Ross, Siwanoy's first greenskeeper and later the Superintendent of the Westchester County Parks system, where he is credited with the designs of munis Saxon Woods, Maple Moor and the quite underrated Mohansic.

If they even exist, I would have to have access to club records to see when his term as Siwanoy's greenskeeper ended and his later pursuits began but Dr. Bill Quirin in "Golf Clubs of the MGA" credits Mohansic and Maple Moor to 1925, so at least by then and probably a few years earlier.

No doubt he was there and perhaps can be credited for the first "as built" iteration of the course.  I have never found any provenance on his specific contribution, except that he was an associate of Ross and was Siwanoy's first greenskeeper.  I believe he was a transplanted Scot as well.

Ross may have omitted Siwanoy in the pamphlet you're referencing but it is certainly credited to him/by him in Golf Has Never Failed Me, including a photo of Siwanoy's original green approach at #16 on Page 88 as exemplar in a section on bunkering.

cheers

vk

VK
I was not aware Winton worked with Ross. I'm pretty sure he came over in 1916 on the same boat with Willie Park Jr. It was reported April 1916 in Golf magazine that Winton had just come over (with Willie Park Jr.), and that he would immediately start work on the Siwanoy CC. Is it possible Winton redesigned the golf course, which is why Ross did not list it?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
Tom M.

The evidence for the Ross-Winton relationship is sparse at best - one paragraph in one book at Golf House - if memory serves from 9-10 years ago.

The only other hard evidence i've have encountered is that he was Siwanoy's first greenkeeper and that he was already on to his Westchester role by 1924-25.

If he came over with Park in 1916, that was nearly two years after the Ross course opened for play.

When I first did my primary research...1999-2000, I was operating on a similar thesis, that Winton, between the first PGA and 1925, altered features of the Ross design.  Routing - no way, green sites or essential character...likely not.  Bunker arrays, additions, removals...60-40 chance, yes.

I do not have any context for what latitude a superintendent in that era had to alter an existing design by an architect of Ross' stature nor did I find the one paragraph very fulsome as to their association.

I'll have to dig some more.

cheers

vk

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
I've found a couple of sources that reported he came over in 1916 (including an article written by Winton in 1923 in which he said he came over about 7 years ago), and apparently he went right to Siwanoy. I don't believe he ever worked with Ross, or with Park for that matter, at least not here in the US. I believe he built some courses for Park in the UK. He also built Woodcote Park for Fowler & Simpson. When he came to the US and began working at Siwanoy, he almost immediately began moonlighting as a golf architect. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he redesigned Siwanoy at some point - the bunkering today doesn't look anything like the bunkering in 1915 - and I suspect that is the reason Ross did not claim the course.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:08:23 PM by Tom MacWood »

Charlie Visconsi

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
the attached article from the newspaper in 1915 clearly states Ross as the architect as details his view of the second hole. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »
Tom M,

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that either.  

The more important notion on that line of inquiry is not whether the bunkering of today looks like 1915, but if the bunkering of 1925 looks like 1915...that would have been Winton's prime opportunity.

From all we currently have of the first PGA scorecard, the contemporary reports of play from that tourney, the map that Chris Buie provided and the 1925 aerials, we can say this:  Someone moved the tee of the original 16th back 100 yards.  (It went from 270 in the first iteration to the 365-380 distance by 1925)

Given the terrain and the former nature of that end of the course, that would have been a serious project in that era, a very likely candidate for significant Winton's involvement, given the sources you have cited.

As to other affirmative details, I can only suspect, but not confirm.

Charlie V.

There's ample evidence that the routing and green sites are all Ross; yet, as Tom M is pointing out, there is suggestive evidence to say that Winton, Siwanoy's first superintendent (and later architect in his own right) changed bunkering, at least one tee, 16, dramatically and perhaps some other tee boxes slightly.  The Winton issue was raised in the prelude to the Kay renovations of 1997-99.  That discussion is what got me interested in Siwanoy's history as they prepared to restore the course as far back to Ross as could be figured,

cheers

vk

Tom MacWood

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 06:11:50 AM »
Here is a link to Westport CC's site, and a little profile on Winton which claims he was involved in a major renovation at Siwanoy among others.. I did some checking and evidently he built Coombe Hill and South Herts for Park (and Abercromby).

http://www.westportcountryclub.com/adirondack_golf_history.htm

Here an interesting blog that discusses the changed he made to Sleepy Hollow. I'm a little surprised he has been relegated to the backburner

http://www.out-and-back.net/?p=2225

V. Kmetz

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:03 AM »
Tom M:

These are great finds on your part.  Here is a vexing problem that I cannot figure with regards to Winton's contribution to Siwanoy, in what should be one simple case, the 16th:

1915 - pre Winton arrival:  Brooklyn Daily Eagle (?) - 16th hole is listed as 357 yards, depicted without significant "combination bunker" style in the approach, deemed significant enough by the executor editors to include as an exemplar of the style in Golf Has Never Failed Me.  Now I'm not going to hold the BDE map artist to any rigorous standard, however he seems to have gotten other "special detail Ross features" correct (the cross bunkers on #4, #10 and #14) And the yardage is, again, 357 yards.

Apr: 1916 - Winton arrives (your article): will begin work on Siwanoy immediately.  Other later accounts verify his involvement.

Oct 1916 - first PGA is played, card (source: Siwanoy newsletter 1993) yardage is listed as 272 yards and is the #14 HCP hole.  Golf Illustrated and Outdoor America (I2V6) written by John G. Anderson (Siwanoy member and runner up to Robert Gardner in the 1915 US Am) covers the prep for the first PGA: "No expense was spared in getting the links in to the best of condition; there were no complaints registered by the professionals and much praise bestowed especially on the distances and the trapping of the holes.  The greens were in good shape thanks to the earnest care given by Thomas Winton, the new green keeper from England, and a course architect of renown."

1925 - aerial photos reveal that the 16th is back to being played at or near the 357 yard distance. (there would be numerous iterations/tee buildings of 357 and + yardages in subsequent years). The bunker array on 16 is also shown largely in the form it appears in Ross' book. Winton is credited with Maple Moor and Mohansic.

1938-41 - Card (Source: 1976 75th anniversary Club History) shows 16th at 382 and the No. 4 handicap hole.  I am dating the card to these years as there is a Stymie Gauge" of 6 inches along the bottom of the card and these years were those the USGA had implemented a hard standard at that distance, following on top of their 1920 rule of allowing opponents "next" putts to be conceded.

1947 - aerial photos reveal new bunker complex at 16th green, distance is still in the 375-380 area.

So all of this is to highlight the problems:

-  how did the 16th go from 357 in 1915 (pre Winton), to 272 for the first PGA (Winton arrives six months earlier), and back to the longer distance and companion adjustment to its HCP by 1925+ evidences?

- Why or how did the BDE artist miss out on the 11 bunker complex on this hole, when he got other significant bunker complexes right?

- Why does Anderson, a Siwanoy member and national competitor, choose to specifically insinuate Winton's role as an agronomic one, the green keeper.  Is this just a gloss or carelessness; writing about his own club... in a significant magazine... covering the inaugural professional championship in this or any country?

I can't figure it.

cheers

vk

Chris Buie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back