News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Stamm

Re: First time to Scotland
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
I think this advice is great. But, for what it's worth I don't agree with it all. I thought I'd mention those points. Feel free to disregard!

Caddy.

At most places playing with a caddy is going to make you look like a tourist. If budget is a concern, this is a good place to save as they are dear in Scotland. If possible, put the money toward a second round. Play the first round just feeling things out, and by the second you'll be fine.

Rain gear.

I don't think you need gore-tex or the ultimate in rain gear. I use my 10-15 year old non-gore-tex Mizuno rainsuit here and in Scotland. Works great, and I've never gotten wet. It's gotten a workout at times, as I actually like to play in the rain. And as mentioned, it's fairly easy to avoid serious rain, even on a tightly planned trip. This is another good place to save money as top of the line rainsuits cost a fortune. The new rain gloves that were mentioned before are an absolute MUST though. A double-canopy umbrella can be used in most conditions and is helpful but not necessary.

Shoes.

Two pairs are nice but not necessary. One pair that is broken in and known to be comfortable is a must. My last trip I played probably 45 holes a day for 2 weeks straight in one pair and was just fine. The other pair gave me horrible blisters the 9 holes that I wore them, so they were dead weight, and I didn't use them again.

Lunch.

Lunch at the club is one of the highlights, so I wouldn't skip that. Rounds are fast, as is lunch, so I don't think you should have too much problem fitting them in.

Balls.

I'd bring a good amount of amo, because the wind and turf can through off your game and some courses will have a lot of places to lose them. And, you'll be playing new courses every day, and you might not know where to play on the blind shots! You won't find balls all over the course either, like you can in the states. In fact, not SERIOUSLY looking for a lost ball will make you look like a tourist! You can always buy balls there, but by American standards they are VERY expensive.

Most of all, enjoy. It's not just the courses. The Scots have a love and respect for the game that is truly wonderful. And infectious.

Hope that helps!

BCyrgalis

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
Again, everyone has been really helpful through all of this and I appreciate it.  I'm sure my first trip to golfing Mecca will be better for it.  To show my appreciation, I leave an open invitation for a pint (or more) on me to any GCA'er in the area.  I will be staying at:

St. Andrew's, April 25-27; Turnberry, April 28-29; Edinburgh, April 30-May 2.  Thanks again.

-Brett

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »
David - Are tees, markers and pitchforks really complimentary in the USA? Last time I was there the members of the clubs we visited were all paying $10k+ pa for free tees, valet parking, 50 greenkeepers, flower arrangers and goodness knows what else. £1000pa and tees at £1 for 20 is pretty acceptable!!

The weather is currently brilliant, we hosted a very fine group of Americans this past weekend and there wasn't a sweater in sight let alone waterproofs, some members were using sunscreen. The forecast is looking great which is brill as Dan Moore arrives for the Easter competitions tomorrow followed by Ari Techner and Patrick Glynn on Thursday. Black tie dinner Thursday followed by three days of competitive play....happy days!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:16:20 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
"Are tees, markers and pitchforks really complimentary in the USA?"

Mark -

At many clubs and resorts they are indeed complimentary, but that certainly does not mean they are fee! ;)

DT

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
Brett

As an inhabitant of edinburgh I would highly recommend just walking around the city centres old and new towns sampling some real Scottish ales and beers as you go.  It is such a beautiful city that just chilling out drinking and eating well can be the best way to spend your time.

As for travel out to east lothian there should be plenty of trains out to North berwick and less frequently out to drem. 

Here are some places you might like in edinburgh

Falko's (also in gullane)

http://www.falko.co.uk/

If you want a patisserie experience then check this place out

http://www.patisseriemadeleine.com/

For some good pizza

http://www.mammas.co.uk/

This place has an awesome seafood platter (they have north berwick lobster)

http://www.theshipontheshore.co.uk/

Get a three course Michelin starred lunch for £25 (a scottish produce inspired restaurant)

http://www.thekitchin.com/kitchin/home

If you are into coffee visit one of the V&C cafes or shops.

http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/

If you want a burger that resembles something from the states

http://www.wannaburger.com/

If you want to know about anything just PM me.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 01:58:45 AM »
Long johns? The Gulf Stream comes from the Carribean not Iceland.

In April there is minimal rough so dozens of balls is a waste and you can pick up ProVs for $65 out of the pro shop.

When did compulsory caddies come in before noon on TOC or has someone been had over?
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 02:49:19 AM »
I wondered the same thing, Mark. Definitely wasn't the case in July 2009.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 06:55:14 AM »
I don't use the ubiquitous ProV1 and last year's exchage rate was a bit more favorable but I didn't find golf ball prices all that extreme. The Titleist HP2 Tour that I use costs me $27.95/dozen at our pro shop back home and I paid like 24 quid at the Crowborough Beacon pro shop the day I arrived in England. Yeah, that worked out to about $38 or so but not so terrible.

I packed light on my last trip and will do so again in future. When I arrived at Gatwick I checked my big SKB hard travel case into the Excess Luggage franchise in the terminal. So once I left the airport I had:

--My 3-pound carry bag with 12 clubs, with a rain cover,
--All my miscellaneous golf gear plus a samll toiletries bag in the pockets of the golf bag,
--My golf shoes in a shoe bag hooked to the golf bag with a carabiner clip,
--One soft-sided shoulder bag with my week's worth of clothes
--A lightweight Goretex rain shell that I either wore or carried over my arm

Only room for a couple sleeves of golf balls and I did end up taking a couple pairs of slack to the laundry while I was there but it was nice not to be encumbered with that big old hard case. Never would have thought I could do a week of golf in England with 10kg of golf bag on one shouder and 8kg of "overnight" bag on the other but it worked brilliantly (as they say). The other nice thing was buying a T-mobile UK pre-pay SIM before leaving home. Plugged it into my home phone (GSM) while on the train from the airport and had my normal smartphone features working for pennies a minute and no data charges the whole time I was there. Cool.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 08:51:04 AM »
To clarify Caddies/Noon on TOC.Trolleys are not available on TOC until noon.Thus those golfers who do not
wish to carry and have an early time must hire a caddy.This obviously favors the caddies.This rule does not
apply to the other courses at St. Andrews.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
Brett,
I would highly recommend an early morning round on your first morning, the fresh air and exercise will also do wonders for any jet lag, so that is no matter where you, get out and play a quick round.

I would not miss North Berwick - to me it is a must play.
@theflatsticker

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
I am currently planning my first trip to Scotland as well.  I am studying abroad in Italy in the fall and a good friend and I are going over a week or so early to play.  My buddy has been before, but I'll be the virgin.  I couldn't be more excited.  Right now we are planning 3-4 rounds even though I want to play 6-7 (thats all we can afford before spending 3 months in Europe).  He doesn't care much about where we play, so I was thinking about doing TOC, North Berwick, and one more.  Any suggestions in that area?  I hear the New course is a good challenge.  Gleneagles? Kingsbarns? There has to be an equal architecturally, but cheaper.

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 07:11:48 AM »
Prestwick or Carnoustie, neither of which will break the bank...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Warren

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »
Rather than another heavy-hitter (TOC and NBWL are about £210 combined from memory and allowing for a little bit of inflation), why not sample a few of the smaller courses?

Not only will they allow you to play more golf for your money, you'll get a feel for Scottish clubs and see some great golf design.

Fife and East Lothian each have a few great candidates for that kind of golf.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
Kevin, in St Andrews make sure you play the wonderful Himalayas course.  £2, by a mile the best value in golf. 

Enjpy your trip.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »
Tony

Once known as the Morrow’s Nursery. Taught you the meaning of reading a course or was that an early version of GCA, whatever it made you read the land with only ones eyes. Forget putting Greens the Himalayas have a clever underlying purpose and are bloody good fun for nearly everyone as well.

Thanks to that little course, I have been able to read bigger and more awkward Greens, however it was awesome watching a good golfer reading and playing the Himalayas, none more enjoyable than watching my father trying to understand why he was not aiming at the Hole, well the one he was playing. Why they went in I will never understand, but in they went to a roar from all us kids.

It’s an undersold gem. Good call Tony.

Melvyn

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:07:57 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »
Kevin

I would shoot for Elie to accompany NB and TOC.  Dunbar isn't a bad choice either.  Another option may be one of the wee courses in the area;  Gullane #3, Musselburgh or even Braid Hills.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 08:53:07 AM »
I am currently planning my first trip to Scotland as well.  I am studying abroad in Italy in the fall and a good friend and I are going over a week or so early to play.  My buddy has been before, but I'll be the virgin.  I couldn't be more excited.  Right now we are planning 3-4 rounds even though I want to play 6-7 (thats all we can afford before spending 3 months in Europe).  He doesn't care much about where we play, so I was thinking about doing TOC, North Berwick, and one more.  Any suggestions in that area?  I hear the New course is a good challenge.  Gleneagles? Kingsbarns? There has to be an equal architecturally, but cheaper.
Certainly not Kingsbarns and I wouldn't go for Gleneagles.  If you're on a first visit and only playing three rounds I'd stick to old, traditional links.  With TOC and NBWL I'd be plumping for Elie, Lundin, Leven, Crail, Dunbar or Kilspindie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »
Jud - your bank must be bigger than mine, both are high end.

I agree with Mark go for a lesser known traditional links.

I hope Brett binned his extra shoes, jumpers and second set of waterproofs. Best Easter ever scorchio! Deal has been fabulous this weekend F&F with little wind and no rough.
Cave Nil Vino

Jud_T

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
Mark, Prestwick is 125 pounds and Carnoustie is 135 vs. 185 at Kingsbarns.  From a Yank's point of view this compares pretty favorably to $350 + caddy at Whistling Straights, etc..  He's playing TOC and North Berwick and is looking a third which is architecturally equal not just a cheap round, or at least that's what I understood...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brent Hutto

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:10 AM »
Jud,

I know that line of reasoning very well having engaged in it repeatedly since joining this esteemed gathering of enthusiasts. I also recognize that it best suits someone with pockets far deeper than my own. If you string together day after day of rounds whose cost you evaluate relative to a one-off or twofer at Whistling Straits, Pebble Beach or the Ocean Course you end up with a trip where the final tally is...considerable. Especially at current exchange rates.

For my part, I've switched gears to itineraries of excellent under-100-quid courses with perhaps a single splurge of the caliber you're suggesting for every day. Not to begrudge those whose budget scale is different than mine but it certainly does add up if you set the bar that high.

Jud_T

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
Believe me, I can appreciate that sentiment as much as anyone these days, I just thought he was looking for 3 great rounds in a week rather than 8-10 decent ones.  Frankly, I'd caddy or wash dishes for a week just to get another chance to play Prestwick.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
Jud,

Mr recommendation wasn't based on price alone.  He'll learn a lot more about golf in Scotland and links architecture, playing at Elie than if he plays Kingsbarns.  He'll have more fun, too.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jud_T

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »
Mark,

I appreciate that.  It's on my list of places to see next time I'm in the hood...

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »
No need for argument on my behalf.  I appreciate all the suggestions. Being that transportation might be a little tough I might have to wait on Prestwick for my next trip.  I think staying around Fife will be the best bet since I might be able to play more for less and even get a more "authentic" experience.  Thanks all.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
The New course at St Andrews is a very fine course and costs £70.

Luffness New is £95 for a full day.

Kingsbarns is for tourists and R&A members.

Prestwick is indeed a fantastic course and i'm really looking forward to a visit there in 4 weeks time, 36 holes of foursomes and lunch it doesn't get any better than that.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back