News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Jackson

OT: Re: First time to Scotland
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »
I'm taking a trip to the Edinburgh area in September for 8 days of golf and having a blast going back through old threads for some suggestions re: minimum necessary attire/gear.   As always, will be trying to pack light and see that the avg temps are around 45-60.  Rain gear, thermal underwear, rain hats, 2 pair of shoes, rain gloves, push through the first day without sleep seem to be common themes.  Thought I might give some of you travel veterans a chance to chime in and update the recommendations. 

A few nuggets in my review of these threads:
1.  See Brett Hutto's reply #4.  Absolute classic, sage advice.
2.  Another thread holds my favorite quote in the history of GCA "Incidentally, I've always believed that smiley faces, exclamation marks, and ribbed condoms should only be used if there is no other way to achieve the desired result" - Gib P

Thanks in advance.

Sean_A

Re: First time to Scotland
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2016, 04:21:58 AM »
Tim

If you are looking to pack lite skip long johns.  I never wear those even in the dead of winter on the course...it will September  8)

No need to pack loads of balls either.  Bring what you can fit in the bag and if you need more buy some. 

Don't be reluctant to stay at a great course for the day if more than 18 is your bag. 

Again, if packing lite, yes, wear shorts, especially if it rains.  Why get your trousers wet and mucky...save them for evenings. 

Don't buy an expensive gortex rain suit simply because you are going to Scotland.  A wool jumper, inexpensive bottoms, rainproof short sleeve top, an umbrella (which can be bought at the club if need be) and MacWets will do the job 99% of the time.  For the other 1%...wait the weather out...its not like you have a train to catch. 

Many swear by 2 pair of golf shoes, using the travel lite mantra...if I fly its with one pair.  If you are into the new style Ecco shoes etc, tons of clubs now sell them and with the exchange rate as it is, if you find yourself desperate (for some strange reason which must have to do with bad feet) for another pair...buy them.   

Play the Himalayas with everybody in tow...trust me, it will be enjoyed.  Also, take a good look around the nooks and crannies of St Andrews with family in tow. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back