News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCyrgalis

First time to Scotland
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »
Heading to Scotland this coming Sunday (Easter-night flight) and I come here looking for suggestions. 

The trip is for my Dad and I to play golf, with my girlfriend and Mom occupying themselves while we're on the links.  We already have tee times set up at St. Andrew's (Old and New), Carnoustie, Turnberry (Ailsa) and Prestwick.  So, yes, we're going from the East coast to the West coast, and then back to Edinburgh for two non-golf days before we leave.  And, yes, this is a big-name hunt, not one where we search out the best course not in the Open Championship rota (which, I've heard from a lot of people is Elie -- but is another thread completely).  All said, it's eight days and seven nights and I'm wildly excited. 

So I'd love to here anything worth hearing about, including what to do while not playing golf -- where to eat, drink, sight see, etc. -- as well as about the golf.  I've already downed Jim Finnegan's "Blasted Heaths and Blessed Greens," as well as Darwin's applicable sections of "The Golf Courses of the British Isles."  I've heard Carnoustie is dour and unpleasant, that the New course might be better than the Old, that Prestwick could be the most fun you're legally allowed to have playing golf, and that Turnberry has the best six-hole stretch in golf and is the best resort in all of Europe (we're staying there for one night, too).  True, untrue?  Will Melvyn want to have a pint at the Jigger Inn with me?  All things to be hopeful about.

Anything and everything you guys can add would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Bill_McBride

Re: First time to Scotland
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:11:07 PM »
Have fun!  It's all good in Scotland.

Melvyn lives outside London.

I'm sure Chris Kane will agree that a few pints at the Dunvegan bar are essential.  :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
Brett -

Bring plenty of extra tees and a few extra scorecard pencils. Neither are complimentary across the pond!

DT

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »
My simple suggestions are: buy a pair of the "rain gloves" that are able to get wet. The wetter, the better the grip.
                                     Put all your regular gloves in a 1 gallon freezer zip lock bag in your bag, and they will stay dry.
                                     Ziplock bags for your valuables/cell/etc.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »
A couple items off the top of my head:

1] When you get in the UK, stop off first thing at a mobile phone shop and buy whatever is their cheapest pay-as-you-go phone from the carrier with the cheapest International rates. You can load 30 quid of time on the phone when you buy it, talk as much as you like back home for a week and probably have minutes left over. It's about a factor of 10x-20x cheaper than paying overseas roaming on you USA cell phone.

2] Don't sleep until the sun goes down on your first day. You gotta nuke the jet-lag thing right off and not let it linger around for half the week.

3] Never leave a great golf course just because the weather is bad for an hour or two. Even if it sleets and the wind blow ninety miles an hour you never know at one moment what the heck the weather will be like three hours later (or three minutes, some places). And definitely do not look out the window of your hotel and think it will tell what the weather is like five miles away at the golf course.

4] If there's a stiff crosswind, allow for whatever effect it will have on your ball flight then allow for that much again for the effect it will have after the ball hits the ground (the first time).

5] Don't let caddies (if you use them) dictate how you experience a great golf course. Advise is good but don't fall into the walking around and doing what you're told robot mode, which is easy to do when you get really tired and overwhelmed or if your golf game falls apart.

6] Leave all sweaters at home. You might need one when you're there but everybody likes buying a new sweater in Scotland.

7] If luggage space is tight, remember it's easier to buy another dozen golf balls in Scotland than to buy a pair of dry shoes. A second pair of shoes can be a luxury, a second or third dozen golf balls are wasted weight and space.

8] Never, ever do the exchange rate calculation in your head. It's just funny-looking money with a bunch of foreigners on it anyway. When something costs "45 pounds" just act like you're reaching for a couple twenties and a fiver back home. If you do the math first eventually a sense of panic will set it. Let that wait until you're adding it up back home the day after the trip is over.

9] If you're going to rent a car and drive over there, start practicing today looking both ways before entering any intersection or making a turn. Don't try to remember "Look Left" or "Look Right" (or whatever the hell it is) in the heat of the moment. Just get in the habit of looking both ways every time. It may save your neck and will definitely save you having some horns blown at you.

10] Nothing says "I'm An American Tourist" like wearing shorts in Scotland. Not saying don't do it, just saying as often as not you'll look like a doofus Yank. So don't do it. It'll be cold anyway. And the only cigars I've seen being smoked in Scotland were American tourists, too.

11] I'm pretty sure native-born Glaswegians don't understand what most other native-born Glaswegians are saying. They just act like they do. And presumably I mean that when they're sober, too. Although it's hard to say.

11b] Just Joking!

12] Speaking of which, their whisky tastes real good but it burns for a reason. All things in moderation.

13] If the wind blows the whole week you're there, you might want to figure on a little range time when you get home before playing in your usual four-ball. It will SCREW YOUR SWING UP. Totally.

14] Gore-Tex is your friend s don't go anywhere without it. See #3, above. If it's 25C, sunny and windless when you arrive at the golf course take the jacket anyway. You might need it by the fourth hole.

15] Finally, just remember. You didn't fly thousands of miles to lay up. I'm just sayin'...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:48:57 PM by Brent Hutto »

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »

8] Never, ever do the exchange rate calculation in your head. It's just funny-looking money with a bunch of foreigners on it anyway. When something costs "45 pounds" just act like you're reaching for a couple twenties and a fiver back home. If you do the math first eventually a sense of panic will set it. Let that wait until you're adding it up back home the day after the trip is over.

9] If you're going to rent a car and drive over there, start practicing today looking both ways before entering any intersection or making a turn. Don't try to remember "Look Left" or "Look Right" (or whatever the hell it is) in the heat of the moment. Just get in the habit of looking both ways every time. It may save your neck and will definitely save you having some horns blown at you.

11] I'm pretty sure native-born Glaswegians don't understand what most other native-born Glaswegians are saying. They just act like they do. And presumably I mean that when they're sober, too. Although it's hard to say.

Great advice.

Great advice.

Classic.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:52:54 PM »
Brett,
just remember Edinburgh is not pronounced like Pittsburgh or Edinboro. It sounds like Ed-in-burrruh (yes, with three or four 'r's!). You'll maybe get bought a drink if you pronounce it properly!
Good bet for Edinburruh first-timers is the open top bus tour. Bit touristy but a GREAT way to see the city - it's gorgeous. You're going to get some nice weather this weekend, but who knows what it'll do the rest of the week. It's Scotland, man!
Edinburruh also has great museums, art galleries, pubs, restaurants and THE CASTLE (a must see for you furriners). It's a great walking city and reasonably compact.
Make sure you spend lots of money - we need it, but avoid the serious tourist traps of Princes Street. Tartan tat, crap shortbread and over-priced whisky.
I'm going to be in Portugal otherwise I'd have let you buy me a pint in the Jigger! Next time!!
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
If you still have golfing time add (1) North Berwick (West Links), and (2) Gleneagles  (Kings).

Sightseeing - Near Prestwick/Turnberry are Crossraguel Abbey ruins, Bridge over Doon (Brigadoon) Electric Road, Culzean Castle.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
David - in 2007/8/9 we did not have to buy a pencil, however tees you might have to purchase

Brent - great information, should be reprinted by Visit Scotland!

Brett - Ask whoever you end up playing with for local information and places to eat etc.  Expect that your girlfriend and Mom will also get good info while you are playing.  Edinburgh is superb city to wander, after you find parking! St Andrews is good walking too, and parking is difficult.  
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
Brent's advice is very good.  I have almost always played golf on evening of arrival day.  Adreneline gets you through the round and also gets you on a decent sleep schedule.  

While I agree with the 2 pair of shoes idea, I disagree that it should come at the expense of balls.  Bring your complete supply.  I recall them being much more expensive over there.  Put them in your suitcase if necessary.

If you are flying through Amsterdam, know your golf bag might not make your final flight.  I have been told the percentage that do not make the final leg is pretty significant.  It is not as big a deal as you would think.  The bag will catch up to you pretty quickly.

I like using Finnegan's books as a travel companion.  Bring it along.  His descriptions of courses are more interesting when you are about to play a course or have just finished.  You see his strong preference for very quirky courses with a lot of blind shots and heaving terrain.   I happen to agree with him but many will not.

I don't think the New Course is better than the Old.  It probably is more difficult.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
David - in 2007/8/9 we did not have to buy a pencil, however tees you might have to purchase

Brent - great information, should be reprinted by Visit Scotland!

Brett - Ask whoever you end up playing with for local information and places to eat etc.  Expect that your girlfriend and Mom will also get good info while you are playing.  Edinburgh is superb city to wander, after you find parking! St Andrews is good walking too, and parking is difficult.  

Parking! Unless your stay in Edinburgh is in the middle of your trip (and you need a car for the before and after parts) you don't need a car in Edinburgh at all.  Fantastic town. Can walk everywhere. 21212, la cucina, 4th floor, David Bann are all fine and couple-worthy restaurants. The Oxford bar on thistle street is a straifghtfrwrd, plain un-yuppified bar.  If you've got any interest in golf history contact Archie Baird and visit his collection in gullane (a one hour bus ride from St Andrews square--if you're nt playing golf in gullane the ladies can come along.  Gullane is a charming village. Coffe at the fantastic German bakery and/or lunch at the old clubhouse pub are worth the trip.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »
My simple suggestions are: buy a pair of the "rain gloves" that are able to get wet. The wetter, the better the grip.
                                     Put all your regular gloves in a 1 gallon freezer zip lock bag in your bag, and they will stay dry.
                                     Ziplock bags for your valuables/cell/etc.

Great advise that came in very handy at Bandon Dunes in the (rainy) Kings Putter a few weeks ago!

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »
While in St. Andrews, mom and the girlfriend could take a jaunt over to "Scotland's Secret Bunker."  This is a bunker for nuclear war, not for sand wedges.  It was displayed fairly amateurishly, but still worth a visit.  It's a few miles out of St. Andrews.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
Don't miss the haggis and wine list at Turnberry.

Play an extra round at Prestwick and check out Western Gailes if possible.

Leave the umbrellas at home, they're completely useless in the wind.

2 pairs of shoes, rain gloves, rain hat, rain pants, rain jacket, extra socks, then a few more pairs, long johns.  You may be dressing for 4 seasons, all in one round!

allow for buying golf shirts there in your packing.

don't forget the sunblock and lip balm, believe it or not.

remember "sausage" in Scotland is not all-beef, bacon is...

if you're used to drinking Miller Light, the local brew has about twice as much alcohol.  A good or bad thing, depending on your point of view.  8)

Eat dinner before the flight over and pop an ambien.  you'll need 3-4 hours sleep to make it through the first day without crashing and messing with your sleep schedule.

Give yourself a break from medal play.  You're in Scotland, damn it.  Play a match.  You can't post the scores anyway!

Don't miss the Ladies putting course in St. Andrews.  I did and I'm still kicking myself...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:20:11 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
If in Scotland- drink kummel

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »
Just in Scotland, KP? I have a bottle in the freezer at home!

Brett: You must visit the Anstruther Fish Bar! Perhaps play the nine-holer in town with its legendary par three to work up an appetite before dinner!

Dave McCollum

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
One more note on golf balls.  You won’t need that many.  I was there for 3 weeks and took four dozen plus whatever was in my bag.  They were decent ProV1’s but recycled and fairly cheap.  When I got to the end of the trip, I sold the lot to a happy golfer for about the same price as I paid ($1/ball).  There were 47 left.  I probably lost 6 balls in 15 rounds.  I think he said they cost something like $90 a dozen over there.

jim_lewis

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »
Buy silk long johns

When playing a private club, you will be better received if you show up wearing a coat and tie.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
Prestwick is Tom Morris,s first "designed" course. A good place to begin.
The  Old Course with it's wide fairways and the wind is unique as you must play it like a chess board.
Here we play through tunnels often bordered by trees.No real planning required.
Remember to arrive on Sunday as you can walk the course freely-It's a public park on that  day-and learn the course.
The New Course is less exciting and less crowded.Play it late at five or six PM.No crowd and a fast round.
Carnoustie is magnificant and not that excessively difficult.Enjoy it.
Turnberry is good but very much like an U.S. course.The best thing there is the pitch and putt course.We spent hours there.
During tournaments the pros spend hours there .Enjoy.
Remember you can eat all meals at pubs and enjoy the setting much more.Skip formal restaurants.Also food at the courses is good.
Key tip.In Scotland no course will hold you to a scheduled tee time if the weather is foul.The weather originates over
Iceland and Greenland and is driven by the jet stream to Europe.It's simply over Scotland a relatively short time and the
courses will tell you when to wait and when to arrive.The locals schedule and avoid wet weather and you can if you call for advice.
There is sunlight for many hours and I have played late and dry often.This is an absolute.I've made four trips to Scotland and never
played in a downpour.Always ask questions.

never played in a downpour.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
Also. Bring tees.Put them in a Zip Loc bag in your luggage.Less irrigation equals hard soil and more breaks.
Their yardage books are simple and narrow so they easily fit in a hip pocket.With wind and the run of the ball on links
you will do well with these and your own calculations.
You should have caddies for the Old Course.They are required before noon anyway.Thereafter a trolley, a book ,and your
own judgment works well.However the caddies are a delight.
Remember the locals use the term weatherproofs.I generally put on what we call rain gear for wind or cold.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »
Also a coat and tie and one dress shirt.You'll get invitations as the Scots are friendly and you'll need these.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
As noted by others, two pair of shoes would be wise.  Also a wool cap and some form of long johns.  Hopefully you won't need them, but if you do, you'll be glad you have them.  Also, take a bungee cord if you plan to use a push/pull cart (known as a trolley over there) as it'll help your bag stay on the cart.

Finally, don't sell Carnoustie short before you've seen it.  It's a fabulous course.

Enjoy!

BCyrgalis

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »
To everyone responding, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. 

Specifically, Brent: that post was just tremendous.  Along with the practical information -- the extra shoes, the jet lag, the wind affecting the first bounce -- it also made me laugh quite a bit.  And there's no way I'm laying up; a story about making a 10 from Hell Bunker is better than a story about hacking out a wedge short of it and making a six.  Just sayin'...

Everyone else, this is just great.  Keep it coming!  Thanks...

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »
A couple items off the top of my head:

2] Don't sleep until the sun goes down on your first day. You gotta nuke the jet-lag thing right off and not let it linger around for half the week.

Really sound advice. I've beaten jet lag every time when I've flown to Europe by: a) staying up as long as possible on the day you arrive (you really have to just fight through it; take the advice of arranging for a round on the day you arrive); and b) eat a big evening meal with copious amounts of alcohol, which is fortunately in copious supply in Scotland. Sleep for 8-10 hours, and you'll awake the next day like you'd lived there for years.

One more piece of advice that worked for me if you want to get in a lot of golf -- blow off lunch (unless, of course, it's at the Honourable Co. at Muirfield). Instead of trying to beat the dawn with an early morning round, take in the enormous and filling Scottish breakfasts, which will tide you over until the evening meal with a small snack (literally -- an apple and juice or snack bar) in between your two rounds. With the typical Scottish round running much quicker than a round over here, you can get in two rounds (if your travel is minimal) a day without having to break to find a place to eat for lunch.

If you listen to one piece of advice here, I'd go w/ the second pair of golf shoes. And bring something -- bandaids, blister block, athletic tape -- for the inevitable blisters that are likely to pop up.

Eat some haggis. Drink a single malt, preferably from Islay. Take some time to get away from the golf crowds haunting the big-name courses and mingle with the Scots. Use your putter from 50 yards off the green. Go see Old Tom's grave.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »
At Prestwick a caddy is a must.
Play the Himalayas (ladies putting course) at least twice.
Avoid booze as a jet lag cure.Set your watch to local time in Scotland on takeoff and
get on that schedule for awake and asleep.Stay with it and don,t suffer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back