News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Favorite GCA Moments
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »
Yesterday my girlfriend's mom asked me how I got into golf and what sparked my interest in the game.  Little did she know such an innocent question would lead to such a long and intricate dinner discussion.

During our talk I spoke to her of caddying at Seattle CC, then at Cypress Point, and from there rambled on about this website and the people I've met that have impacted me so much.  In lieu of that, I felt it appropriate to come back and post a thread that will remind people of why this website is so great.  Lately I have not posted much because there has been a lot of arguing, and whats seems to be an overwhelming consensus tha this website is going downhill.  But, let us not forget all this website has done for us and not let a few arguments over the internet derail something so great.

So, what is your favorite moment and/or story relating to GCA?

I'll start with the story I told last night over dinner.

At my first KP, I teed off at Spyglass at around 9:00 in the morning with John Mayhugh, Bob Jenkins, and Tim Bert.  Though I now call all of them friends, at the time I only knew Bob.  I believe I was 17 at the event.  This was my second round in Monterey, and was the first to open my eyes to the mystic and prestige that is Monterey and 17-Mile Drive.  The day before I played Pacific Grove with Robert Ball and thought to this day that was one of the most fun times I have EVER had on a golf course, the day that began with Spyglass really opened my eyes to the treasures of GCA and great golf courses.

As we played our way through Spyglass I was awestruck at everything I saw.  Yes, I had played it in many Tiger Woods games prior to the trip, but nothing could have prepared me for the sheer awesomeness and beauty of the place.  The first five hole were beyond spectacular, and though they are without a doubt the best holes on the course, the final thirteen holes didn't let me down one bit.  I was in awe throughout the entire round.  Aside from the golf curse, the comraderie with Bob, Tim, and John was great and though this was our first rond all together it took us no time at all to become friends and click.  On the sixteeneth hole, Bob looked to me and told me we would be trying to play Pebble that afternoon.  I had no words as that was something unexpected and certainly to that point would have been my golfing highlight.

After our round at Syglass, we spoke with the pro shop and they informed us that Pebble was full and there was no chance of playing that day unless we went down and spoke with their pro shop personally, and on top of that got very lucky.  So, we all ate a quick lunch at Spyglass and headed down to Pebble.  Tim did not join as he had played Pebble a few days before and so we decided we would met with him the next day.

Pebble was packed when we got there.  There were at least forty people surrounded by the first tee and it was standing room only.  We went in the pro shop, Bob and John and I, to try and figure out how to work some magic.  After looking around and surveying our options, we decided we would speak with Edawrd, a man with a friendly English accent that was behind the pro shop counter.  I told Edward this was a once in a lifetime trip and that I had just received the Evan's scholarship, and it was my dream to see Pebble.  He said to wait a minute, and he walked into the pro's office.  After what seemed like forever, he came back and inromed us they would add an extra time and alow us to be the last group of the day - a threesome of John, Bob, and I.

That round was one I will never forget.  I remember almost every shot, every picture frame moment, every view.  I was perfect weather, Pebble was amazing, but it was the company that made the round.  To this day that is still my favorite round I have ever played.  The round went by too fast, almost in a blur from being so surreal, but by the time we reached the eighteenth the sun was setting and it provided the perfect picturesque ending to the best day of my life.  We walked down the last farway together, in the sunset, all holding our heads high knowing that this is not a day that could easily be matched - ever.

As I reminisce I can't help but feel gracious and thankful for being part of such a wonderful and fantastic day.  It never would have been posible without GCA.  So, remember what this site has done for you.  Without it, I would be short of many memories and many friends.  I can't wait to hear some more stories.

Best,
Jordan

Bill_McBride

Re: Favorite GCA Moments
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:51 PM »
How about these:

Learning about the treachery of the false front and a front pin at Pasatiempo #3?

Or the read I gave you on Pasatiempo #18?  :)

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
I have not posted in awhile myself for various reasons and I have a couple of really fond memories but nothing beats an ace by someone in your group who you just met a few days earlier and your jumping up and down on the tee box like your 5. For anyone who has not met me I have a laugh that you can hear a mile away . Let's say the entire golf course heard me that day .

Good Times

Brad

PS

That's the 3rd time someone in my group has mad a ace . Group 3 Brad 0

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »
I've had a lot of great moments with fellow GCAers, including witnessing the ace described by Brad above.  But by far my GCA highlight was witnessing the outpouring of support the last days for an injured caddie. The response has been unbelievable.

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
Shame on anyone that takes this site too seriously and gets upset too easily.

I'll stick with the first 4 guys that have posted here, all of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting... There are countless others.

1. The same exact day that Jordan describes.  Although I didn't make it for the afternoon round at Pebble, the morning round alone made for a fabulous day.

2. Playing Bill's "most fun nine holes anywhere" as his friend and opponent.  As fun as that was, it might take the back seat to the Longshadow match I witnessed between Bill and RJ.

3. Hearing NYPD say, "That rainbow is so vibrant."  Enough said.  I can't wait to tee it up at Kingsley with Brad.

4. I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to pinpoint a best moment with Jim.  I've only met him twice and it feels like I've known him forever.  He has that effect on everyone.  I suppose performing "I'm on a Doak" live on the 4th tee at Ballyneal is as good as anything.

Thanks for the thread Jordan.  I still remember when I thought you were someone playing a joke on all of us here at GCA.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
BUSTIN FIVE-CLUB WIND, WHIPPIN OUT MY COAT

Ben Sims

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »
Wyatt's ace just 24 hours after Brad Fleischer decided it was time to school a successful architect in the finer points of scale and bunker positioning.  Colton wrote a song based on that moment...kinda.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
The best GCA moments are always meeting the people.  From time to time we may have to put up with some b.s., but it is all worth it in the end if you can meet up with some golf nuts who share your passion and, hopefully, prove to be lifelong friends. 

Some interesting ones that I can recall right off the top of my head...

Playing with Kenny Baer very soon after my 2nd hip replacement and shooting 102-ish at Atlanta CC.  Perhaps the most fun 102 I've ever hit.

Any round with Mark Pritchett, but the rain soaked round at The Dormie with JC, Wade, and Mark is high up on the list.

Staying with Eric and Wardo in the Low Country during our Old South trip.  It was a darn shame Penny Branch got rained out.

The round where Anthony Gray first dressed up like a caddy was funny!  Again, Eric Smith and JC were there in Harbour Town.

And then there was the Chop/Sand hills trip...oh man!

I'll stop now, too many great memories and friends to blab on about.  Great site...great people!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »
I have had several great GCA moments, but one that always sticks out is my round last February at Swinley Forest.  Gareth Williams set up the outing for everyone, and I grabbed the last spot in the afternoon.  I took the train from Waterloo out to Sunningdale in my jacket and tie, took a taxi over to the course, and met the early morning finishers for a brilliant lunch.  I played with Sean Arble for the first of several times, got to meet several GCAers, and got my first taste of heathland golf, H.S. Colt, and a real lunch at an English club. The day at Swinley was my first serious experience with great heathland architecture, and Sean was an excellent tour guide around Colt's least bad course.  Also, all the fellows I met that day (particularly Sean, Scott W., Mark C, and Tony M.) proved immensely hospitable in the following months and were a huge help to me in seeing the best courses in the London area.

The day at Swinley was an example of the best that GCA has to offer: great golf course architecture, great camaraderie, and great generosity.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:05 AM »
It's hard to go past my golf trip to the USA in 2009 and all the great guys I met whilst there. The Boomerang at Barnbougle just gone was another highlight for sure for me. Just meeting O/S GCAers is a highlight in itself and sharing their golfing passion and experiences.

I'll give a couple of examples without naming anyone of the wonderful lengths people go to on this site:
- a GCA friend driving for 11 hours to to meet up then catch a  couple of hours sleep before getting up to play 36 holes together then heading straight home
- one sponsoring accommodation and golf for me at a prestigious course without even meeting me
- another doing everything in their power to make sure I got to see a truly special place on the golfing map
- one of the original invitees giving up his spot on the above course so another could get to experience the occasion
- a number of gentlemen walking through torrential rain togehter to just show me their course
- one driving for 2 hours through snow just to try and share the experience with me at the course
Etc Etc
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:25:37 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
This may sound odd but the cool moments of gca are the ones which can or may happen due to the extreme generosity of folks on this site
It's wonderful to know I could go play some lovely courses with interesting and like minded people

Btw Jnc Is an easy chap to look After so do get know him

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
One moment that comes to mind is playing Old Macdonald with Gib Papazian as part of the CGA outing last year on the Saturday before the grand opening. I may have told this story before, but it is worth repeating. It is little known that Gib is friendly with Mike Keiser and played a role in the Macdonald tribute idea. Gib sent him a copy of George Bahto's book before the dream team was put together.

That Saturday was Gib's first view of the course, and his feet barely touched the ground as he wandered from hole to hole in amazement and there were more than a few "f'ing beautifuls" thrown around :)  For me, this was like experiencing Christmas through the eyes of a kid. Just imagine if any of us had some small role in a course like this and then we saw it on the ground!

Here is a picture of Gib and George Bahto from that day:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:49:44 AM by Bill Brightly »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
There have been many over tha last 3-4 years. Two notable tales:

-While playing bocce ball at Ballyneal, I was a part of a small group of GCAers that discovered set about finding template holes (e.g. Road, Dell, Redan) on the tumbling pitch. This went on for quite some time. Other hghlights of the day including cross-handed and left-handed driving competitions between hail storms.

-I had my first (and still best ever) caddie experience at Riviera after sleeping above the 18th green, thanks to a generous GCAer who had not met me until that morning. We spent some of our round together discussing my expectations for an upcoming trip to Ballyneal, which he also arranged. Both acts of generosity were completely unsolicited and have been extended by him to dozens of others on this forum through similar circumstances.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »
Jordan,

My most memorable moments were the times I hosted GCA.com get togethers at Baltusrol, Hiddne Creek and Mountain Ridge.

I met a good number of posters and lurkers along with the great Ran Morrissett and the escapee from Happydale Farms, TEPaul.
I"ve also been fortunate to have hosted a number of GCA.com'ers from near and far, such as Tommy Naccarato, Gib, Lynn Shackelford and David Moriarty.

GCA.com has been an asset to my quality of life.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »
I loved reading all these posts.  Thank you, to all who responded.  Pat, I agree that this site and it's people has indeed been an asset to my life.

Tim, I forgot to share the story of when I caddied for you at Pebble and we got to meet and play some shots with Jason Kidd.  Not to mention, your banana yellow pants.  Classic!

Mayhugh, I hope you read this and post something here.  I've had many fond memories of times we've had on a course.  In fact, our two hour putting match that went until midnight at Pebble Beach was one of the best memories I've ever had.  That was a blast! 

For those of you who take this site really seriously and have problems with things posted here, consider all the good that goes with the posts you don't like.  For some reason I would tend to believe the good outwieghs the bad.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »
The Midwest Mashie at Lost Dunes playing with TD as he enlightened me about the design and construction and what he was trying to accomplish. This also happened to coincide with my 50th, which made it that much more memorable.
Coasting is a downhill process

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
My favorite moment was making my second birdie of the day and listening to Bill McBride sputter about it at Soule Park.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Freeman

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »
Double Barky Sparky
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »
Double Barky Sparky

I'm curious and nosy, what is this?

George Freeman

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
Double Barky Sparky

I'll have to let JC Jones explain this one...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
Double Barky Sparky

It's something bored lawyers make a big deal about. Hit from gravel making sparks followed by hitting two trees and get on or near green to save par after flubbing drive.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
My favorite moment was making my second birdie of the day and listening to Bill McBride sputter about it at Soule Park.

"Sputtering" does not convey my dismay at your treacherous index!

Remember that scene in "The Hustler" where the locals broke Paul Newman's thumbs?

Steve Kline

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
I have a couple.

Live posting drom my first US Mid Am at Bandon Dunes. Even though I had not met anyone in person from the site yet i felt huge support from everyone. Also, it was clear that Mr Keisef was reading my posts as he followed my group the second day for a few holes. After losing my match I came in and read everyone's post. The support was overwhelming and O had to try really hard to dight off tears.

As a result of that experience i Have received a few invites to some fabulous courses. First came Bel-Air and Riviera. Riviera was a truly fabulous experience with a most amazing host.

After that came Ballyneal. Jim Colton had invited me many times but I had neverbeen able to make it. Last summer I had a business trip in Golden, CO, whichis just west of Denver. So I flew to Denver early in the morning, arriving around 10:30. After getting my rental car and driving to Ballyneal I arrived around 2:30. I believe Jim had me on the tee less than 15 minutes after arriving. Jim and I played with two wondeful caddies and I shot even par, basically from the tips. We went immediately to the fjrst tee again but got paired up with two other guys for the front nine. On the back nine Jim and I played where i had to pick up after ,y birdie shot and he had to pick up after his par shot. But even that wasn't going to get ua done fast enough. So we played cross country on a hole or two. When we putted put on 18 it was literally pitch black. I couldn't even see the flag from 20 feet. I piled back into into the car and made the three hour drive to Golden. I arrived at 2:30 in the morning and had a tee time at 8:30 with some business associates which was going to be followed by white water rafting. My business friends thought I was nutss but it was a truly fantastic day.

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
2. Playing some of the world's great courses with a bunch of great guys.  Kind of like sharing a great old Bordeaux from the cellar with guys who can really appreciate it.

1. JC in Maize'n Blue!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:36:17 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »
Cool post guys.  Love the positivity - what it's all about.

I've only had one official GCA episode. It was with Chappas. At some stage he may have ventured onto the dance floor.
@Pure_Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back