News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Loyalty vs Intelectual Honesty
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
One man's holy shrine is another man's target practice. Just ask the sphinx.

Not trying to be overly flip, but some folks do take this stuff pretty seriously. Probably too seriously.

Nice post, Charlie.

One of the responsibilities the invited bear is knowing your host. Unfortunately, some self-important people think their opinion should always be voiced. I call it "I was just being honest"-itis. :) My mom is the most honest person I know, yet also the least hurtful. That's a tough combo to beat.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »
we are merely talking about a field of play not holy shrines

One man's holy shrine is another man's target practice. Just ask the sphinx.

Not trying to be overly flip, but some folks do take this stuff pretty seriously. Probably too seriously.

Charlie,

The reality is though, especially in these unsure times, whether a club can survive or have to close its doors could come down to some untimely negative press, especially this time of year when folks are coming out of golf hibernation and perhaps looking to join a new cub.

With jobs and careers on the line, I can see perfectly well why many would take this dead serious!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2011, 08:07:20 AM »
A story that a journalist wrote about a new Facebook hire cost the guy the job. It caused so much internal strife they couldn't hire him now. That's an analogy on how some of the bean spilling here on gca can have real negative effects.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ted Kramer

« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »
One of the questions I have always struggled with is if one should be loyal to a private club that is kind enough to allow you to play their course.  By loyal I mean protect their secrets and don't reveal their flaws.  I would guess most any club understands that a one time visitor will mostly not be loyal.  I would also believe that when an individual enters into a relationship with a club where they visit on no less than a biennial basis they have entered into a moral contract of loyalty.  Very few people read our obscure blogs, a few more read this or sites of similar nature.  Where is or should there be a line when we keep our mouths shut and our blogs dark?

Very simple for me with regards to this example. . .
Nobody is opening their doors to me so I can air their dirty laundry.
Using someone's, or a club's generosity to serve one's own gains by "revealing" anything private or revealing flaws is simply 100% wrong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back