News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Michael Clayton's article, No sub for Good Design
« on: February 04, 2002, 09:13:25 AM »
From yesterday's Melbourne Age:

I believe he said on the broadcast yesterday that he is doing the bunker resotoration work at Victoria GC ahead of the 2002 Aussie Open.   I also thought the PGA Australasian tour coverage at Royal Mel was much more informed and professional than what I saw on CBS for Pebble Beach.  Michael's commentary was particularly insiteful..i love how Ken Venturi gave up on Pat Perez before he turned it around on 17 before ultimately choking..

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/2002/02/03/FFX4IDDA6XC.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

RJ_Daley

Re: Michael Clayton's article, No sub for Good Des
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2002, 09:50:33 AM »
I cheered at the TV when Micheal made the comment about one of the great features of RM is the "short grass" hazard, referring to the close cut puttable humps and hollows within the greens surrounds. ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Kane

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2002, 03:39:36 PM »
Mike's article in the Sunday Age was an excellent one.  I was pleased to hear from him that the overwhelming reaction to the article was positive, which indicates that maybe there is hope after all.

NicP

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2002, 03:54:09 PM »
Chris,

We just have to make sure we keep making noise about the sand belt and it's preservation. RM is hollowed ground as far as I'm concerned and we can't let it go the way of "modernisation" like so many have called for.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 06:26:56 PM »
Mike:  Good article...I agree with everything except this line:

"The schoolyard bullies easily won that one, partly because the pros are paid a fortune to endorse new products."

This is a position which I know TEPaul agrees with, but the pro's have never lobbied, have no lobby, have never met with the rules makers and I can't see them pressuring the USGA and R&A.  They only use the products they get for free or are paid to use.  They promote what they're paid to promote.

The legislature (USGA and R&A) makes the rules...do they listen to the convicts when creating just laws?  No.  They also don't listen to their family members, the tournament professionals when enacting and enforcing those rules (like John Walker-Lindh's parents won't have any baring on his future, no matter how wacky they are).

The press can take partial responsibility, much more so than the manufacturers...as the manufacturers are not in business to protect the game but compete and generate profit within the existing rules structure.  The publications and broadcasts rely on manufacturers for advertising money (more so in print than broadcasts), and how can you bite the hand which is responsible for a large portion of the revenue which feeds the staff?  There is a clear and deep conflict of interest, and they've resolved it by saying little or nothing about the subject.  

The ruling bodies haven't gone to the media either to press the case...so they're culpable in a huge way...to lead is their job and to date have they said peep?  They've lacked the leadership to press the case hard, to educate the public...they've just let this thing just roll along.

If aim is to be taken, we've got to aim at the right targets.  I think the manufacturers have zero culpability in this.  They're just playing by the existing rules.

Once again Mike... I did like the article.

MikeClayton

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2002, 07:06:36 PM »
Tony
Here is what I actually wrote but thanks to editors short of space it finished up as that one simplistic line

'maybe in the face of amateur inactivity the tours ought to make their own regulations although that fight would be full of conflicts because the pros are paid fortunes by the manufacturers to endorse their products'

I cant disagree with anything you said.

Nor do I think the pros should make separate rules for the tour but if no one else is going to do anything that may be the only option.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2002, 06:02:41 AM »
Mike:  The editors surely changed the focus from "amateur inactivity."

I agree with your take on separating the professional game from the amateur game...the problems for the tour pro's and their manufacturers would be interesting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back