News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Thank you Howard Mckee
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »

Bandon Dunes would not have happened without Howard Mckee.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:47:46 AM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Thank you Howard Mckee
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
Beautiful.
jeffmingay.com

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
It would appear that Gray did not take this photo during the recent King's Putter, because the sun is shining!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
William:

Amen to that.  Howard was a really interesting man -- not much of a golfer, but a great lover of the outdoors, and his appreciation for the latter is part of the appeal of Bandon Dunes both on and off the courses.

The labyrinth was one of several pet projects of Howard's which Mike has completed now.  He also envisioned a restaurant out by the fifteenth green at Old Macdonald; it will have to do as the snack bar for the golf course for now.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »
Reading "Dream Golf", the story of Mike Keiser's visionary quest to build Bandon, one definitely gets the feeling that Howard McKee was integral to the entire enterprise.  This looks like a moving tribute to a great man.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »
Reading "Dream Golf", the story of Mike Keiser's visionary quest to build Bandon, one definitely gets the feeling that Howard McKee was integral to the entire enterprise.  This looks like a moving tribute to a great man.

The place would not have happened without Howard.  Simple as that.  He was integral to getting the permits and to the vision of everything besides the golf courses themselves.  And it was great for us, to be able to build courses that Howard was able to appreciate, too.  Of all the compliments I've received for our work in Bandon, none was more meaningful than how much Howard McKee appreciated Pacific Dunes.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »
Thanks, William - I've never been more surprised than I am to learn that the labyrinth of Chartres is there.  What a strange and wonderful bit of synchroncity. It's heartening to be so pleasantly surprised.

Peter

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:37 PM »
It's a touching tribute because of what the labyrinth represents.

We have one in town, while not as elegant, it's a worthy journey to reach the end still.
I find the walk through is very reflective.
Isn't that a perfect memorial.

William_G

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:38:11 AM »
It would appear that Gray did not take this photo during the recent King's Putter, because the sun is shining!

hahahaha
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:54:23 AM »
It's a touching tribute because of what the labyrinth represents.

We have one in town, while not as elegant, it's a worthy journey to reach the end still.
I find the walk through is very reflective.
Isn't that a perfect memorial.

very special! Love it, I've been there a lot to help connect my friends to what it really took to make Bandon what it is.
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
William:

Amen to that.  Howard was a really interesting man -- not much of a golfer, but a great lover of the outdoors, and his appreciation for the latter is part of the appeal of Bandon Dunes both on and off the courses.

The labyrinth was one of several pet projects of Howard's which Mike has completed now.  He also envisioned a restaurant out by the fifteenth green at Old Macdonald; it will have to do as the snack bar for the golf course for now.

I would definitely dine at that restaurant, LOL.

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »
X2,

Thanks for a terrific tribute thread!!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
The words on the labyrinth plaque were composed by Howard's widow, Kennon McKee.

The work I was allowed to do, helping in the construction of the labyrinth and surrounding space, stands as my most satisfying contribution at the resort, largely due to the ever present spirit that Howard so effectively infused in me, in all of us that knew him, and in all that is Bandon Dunes.   Putting the labrinth in place was simply an expression of Howard's spirit.

Thanks Howard!

Tom

the pres

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »
Where is the Labyrinth located at the resort? 

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:39 PM »
Raphael;

The labyrinth is situated on a forested penninsula on the north shore of Chrome Lake, accessed by a trail leading from the lodge, along the lake's south shore, and across the walking bridge that is visible from the roadway as it crosses Chrome Lake.  It is a short walk from the lodge, approximately 5-10 minutes.

Tom
the pres

William_G

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
The words on the labyrinth plaque were composed by Howard's widow, Kennon McKee.

The work I was allowed to do, helping in the construction of the labyrinth and surrounding space, stands as my most satisfying contribution at the resort, largely due to the ever present spirit that Howard so effectively infused in me, in all of us that knew him, and in all that is Bandon Dunes.   Putting the labrinth in place was simply an expression of Howard's spirit.

Thanks Howard!

Tom

thanks for the insight Tom
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:41:27 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »
Raphael;

The labyrinth is situated on a forested penninsula on the north shore of Chrome Lake, accessed by a trail leading from the lodge, along the lake's south shore, and across the walking bridge that is visible from the roadway as it crosses Chrome Lake.  It is a short walk from the lodge, approximately 5-10 minutes.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.  I've always wondered what was across that walking bridge.  I will be sure to pay my respects on my next trip to the resort ... which I'm already dreaming about, having just returned from a glorious four day trip to the resort two weekends ago. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back