News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

A.V. Macan Biography Now Available
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:09:07 PM »
The long-awaited biography of the talented and influential West Cost golf architect Arthur Vernon Macan is now published.  Noted golf historian Michael Riste has worked for well over a decade researching every available detail of the life and work of Macan and has produced a very illuminating and insightful work.

I was privileged to review an earlier draft of the book and can say that Riste puts forward a compelling case to include Macan in the top rank of architects from the early 20th century.  Through voluminous research he makes connections with John Low, Alistair Mackenzie and, especially, H.S. Colt.

Robert Trent Jones Sr once stated that if Macan had worked on the East Coast and not the, then, frontier of the West Coast, he would today be held in the same esteem as Ross, Tillinhghast, MacDonald, etc.  Riste' book certainly does nothing to dispel that notion.

For those who may not be familiar with Macan, his first design was the then revolutionary Colwood Golf Club (now Royal Colwood Golf Club) in 1913.  Over a 51 year career he designed many of the leading courses on the West Coast (Marine Drive, Shaughnessy, Fircrest, Inglewood, Overlake, Columbia Edgewater and California Golf Club) and once stated he had worked on designing or redesigning every major golf course in BC, Washington and Oregon, except Portland Golf Club.  No one had a bigger influence on golf architecture on the West Coast than Macan.

Mike has self published the biography and asked that I let everyone on GCA know how to obtain a copy.  Send an email directly to Mike at  niblick.michael@gmail.com.  The cost is $30 plus $15 shipping and handling in North America and $20 shipping and handling in the rest of the world.

As is typical of Mike, he is donating all monies to the BC Golf House, which operates the British Columbia Golf Museum.

I would urge anyone interested in Macan specifically or ODG architects in general to add this volume to their collection.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:08:21 PM by Dale Jackson »
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Sean_Tully

Re: A.V. Macan Biography Now Available
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:52:31 PM »
Dale-
I am eagerly awaiting my copy of this book as well. I have had the pleasure of some phone conversations and email correspondence with Mike over the years and know how much time he has invested in this book. We are very fortunate to have Mike look after the legacy of Macan and be the point man to collect and archive his papers.

Just got an email from Mike as I am typing this out and my book is in the mail!

As Dale mentioned, Mike is donating the proceeds to the BC Golf Museum for a new roof to keep things tidy and well preserved. Can't say enough on how much care and thought Mike gives the BCGM. All the more reason to pick up a copy!

Sean

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
Congratulations to Mike Riste. This is good news.

I know how much work and passion Mike's put into the research and writing of this important historical record. My cheque will be in the mail later today.
jeffmingay.com

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »

Dale,

Thanks for letting us know. I have just sent of an email to Mike to order a copy and am really looking forward to it.

Hope to see you soon and will send an email.

Bob

Dale Jackson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
bump
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
Dale, is their anything in the book suggesting Macan had a hand in the design of Tacoma Country & Golf Club?  I found it very similar to his nearby Fircrest.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »
Columbia-Edgewater is ordering some copies, and Michael Riste is speaking to the members there later this year.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
Thanks for passing this along, Dale.  Great news for those of us trying to put Macan back in the well-deserved spotlight.

Dale, is their anything in the book suggesting Macan had a hand in the design of Tacoma Country & Golf Club?  I found it very similar to his nearby Fircrest.

Mike

Michael-

It will be interesting to see if anything about Macan and TC&GC is mentioned in Riste's book.  I have a copy of a letter Mr. Riste may include in his book (dated May 1960) where Macan references he did some work at Tacoma.  Unfortunately, the club does not have any record of it, and I'm not sure even a Macan expert could even find it now.

Personally, I don't see anything at Tacoma that architecturally resembles Fircrest, and I'm not saying that in a bad way- they are both great golf courses.  In my opinion, some of the best holes at Tacoma that had some character were wiped out with a course remodel in the early 1990's, to make way for a giant practice facility, among other things...

Scott

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
Columbia-Edgewater is ordering some copies, and Michael Riste is speaking to the members there later this year.

Bill-

Is CE embarking on any Macan restorative-based work? (timmmmberrrrrrr!!!!!)

Scott

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:59:12 PM »

Bill-

Scott

I don't know, Scott. I live in NW Florida and was a non-resident member. When the economy went south in 2008, I made the fatal mistake of calculating my average cost per round and resigned. 

Michael Riste will find out. I think the club is very proud of the course as is.  It is a beauty but could definitely use some tree clearing.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »

Bill-

Scott

I don't know, Scott. I live in NW Florida and was a non-resident member. When the economy went south in 2008, I made the fatal mistake of calculating my average cost per round and resigned. 

Michael Riste will find out. I think the club is very proud of the course as is.  It is a beauty but could definitely use some tree clearing.

I see.  Pensacola I recall.  I own a nice 1/2 acre piece of paradise down your way on Cape San Blas; longing for the day to retire to mowing fairways at St. Joseph's Bay CC....

CE is a great course being swallowed by trees.  Unfortunately, the trees have kinda become the defining aspect of the course, not the architecture.  Mention CE, and it's typically followed by the word "sequoias" soon thereafter.  There's just a lot of good stuff covered up by them; a pretty common theme here in the PNW...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
Thanks, Dale.  Mine is on its way.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:57:47 PM »
...  Mention CE, and it's typically followed by the word "sequoias" soon thereafter.  There's just a lot of good stuff covered up by them; a pretty common theme here in the PNW...

The redwood at my home course has a name. It is named Willie. That's after Willie Mays, because it catches everything. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »
...  Mention CE, and it's typically followed by the word "sequoias" soon thereafter.  There's just a lot of good stuff covered up by them; a pretty common theme here in the PNW...

The redwood at my home course has a name. It is named Willie. That's after Willie Mays, because it catches everything. ;)

The sequoias at CECC, they reach out and grab balls you are certain are safely past!  It's very demoralizing!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »

The sequoias at CECC, they reach out and grab balls you are certain are safely past!  It's very demoralizing!

Wow! I reckon you give it a wide birth when walking past!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »
Dale,

Thanks for the heads-up, my copy is in the mail!

TK

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »
This is great news in general, and great news for Canadian golf.

I've e-mailed Mike to get my copy.

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »
Dale,

Good news indeed. I'm interested in knowing more about this Irishman. I came across a few mentions of him in the Irish Times archive between 1907-1911.

He was a very good golfer (+2 at least according to one report) but never made the big breakthrough by winning a provincial or national title. He did win the Portsalon Cup in 1907. He played out of Portmarnock and Dublin Univ.

The Dublin University Golfing Society (DUGS) published a centenary book in 2009. According to the book, Macan was a member of the committee in 1909. He played for DUGS in a match versus Cambridge in 1910 at Dollymount (Royal Dublin) winning both his singles and foursomes matches.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 01:15:05 AM »
I have been asked by Mike Riste and Barrie McWha, the Executive Director of BC Golf House, to pass along their thanks and gratitude for the response from members of this DG.  Apparently, the number of orders greatly exceeded their expectations and, with the help of everyone's orders, the BC Golf Museum is well on the way to putting on a new roof, which is where all the money is going.

Barrie also asked that I let everyone know that the book is now available on-line at http://www.bcgolfhouse.com/shop-on-line.

People may be interested in viewing the general website at http://www.bcgolfhouse.com.

And if you are ever in Vancouver and at all interested in golf history, a visit to the BC Golf Museum is time very well spent.  I believe it is regarded as perhaps the finest regional golf museum in North America.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
I've put a good dent in Mike's book over the past two days.

Indeed. There's a lot of great information within assisting with Mike's ambition to elevate Mr. Macan's legacy, which is more than warranted. Like Mike, I believe Mr. Macan's talents, abilities, knowledge and passion were on par with his more famous contemporaries. And, Mike's book only confirms how sad it truly is that so little of Mr. Macan's original work remains intact – a definite reason he hasn’t been more heralded. 

Most disappointing, in my view, is Shaugnessy. Now, don't get me wrong. Shaughnessy remains a fine club, with a good course. But, at the end of his life, Mr. Macan was so dedicated to making Shaughnessy his crowning achievement. And, apparently, budget was not an issue on the project.

Despite the fact that some Tour pros complained about some of the greens during the 1966 Canadian Open, the course design there, at Shaughnessy (when it opened for play during the early 1960s) represented the culmination of Mr. Macan's philosophy on golf and course design over a career that began in 1913 and lasted until his death in 1964.

According to Mike’s research, Geoff Cornish was hired very shortly after Mr. Macan’s death to remodel the course. But, nothing was done until after Shaughnessy hosted the ’66 Canadian Open, under the direction of Norman Woods. Funny, Mike Riste writes: "(Macan) detested Woods, never considering him a golf course architect, but merely a construction foreman for Stanley Thompson."

Mr. Macan’s routing hasn’t changed; but, apparently, in 1970, Woods rebuilt 13 greens at Shaughnessy, amongst other things including removing a number of centre fairway bunkers.

The following excerpt, written by Mr. Macan, provides some sense of his personality, knowledge, and passion. It’s part of a detailed account of his course design, sent to the club’s Board shortly before Shaughnessy opened for play.   

“I have always admired this setting and believe that anything in the nature of a sand trap would destroy it. Since an elusive quality - the difficulty of judging the length of the shot - may prove its outstanding characteristic. I have often referred to the hollow in front of the eighteenth green at St. Andrews known as the Valley of Sin. There is no trap to guide you, which so often results in players failing to hit their pitches firm enough and finishing in the valley. The feature of this 17th is the natural draw in the ground towards the deep grass slope on the right of the green... Many, of course, will play left from the tee to avoid peril. From this position, with the slope of the green from left to right, I'm hoping it will prove difficult to lay the second shot near the hole, a difficulty accentuated by mounds on the left of the green... If you wish to simplify the hole, add sand traps and destroy it.”

I could go on about Shaughnessy, but those of you interested should order a copy of Mike’s book  :)
jeffmingay.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »
Glad that copy #99 of 500 is now in my possession. Have made a wee dent in the opening and look forward to pounding through some more this evening (God, this post reads like a Tweet...)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back