News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: BARNBOUGLE LOST FARM: A hole-by-hole pictorial!!! (3rd hole posted)
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »

Though short for a par 4 at 253 meters from the tips, the 3rd plays a bit up into the seaside dunes and the easterly breeze.

Weather and skills permitting, an aggressive drive drawn from the right can run onto the green. Slight pulls will end up in the fronting bunker, as I discovered twice in two rounds (birdie, par).

As always, short-hitters have space to set up a full-wedge approach, but great care must be taken, as a large mound on the right will redirect shoddy shots and create awkward lies, often to great misfortune.

The fronting bunker requires a long and lofted recovery shot from the left while the right side is usually a bit more forgiving, for those subjected to its depths. The spray of sand short of the green provides evidence of the typical wind pattern.

A raised tier defines the green’s aft segment. All pin positions are appropriately well-guarded for such a short test.

Looking back from on high.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill Brightly

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
While I normally like centerline hazards, I think it does not work well on this hole. While I can probably carry it, I am risking too much just to get myself in half-wedge range, plus I bring a possible lost ball in the marrum grass into the equation. (At Lost Farm, a ball in the marrum grass is GONE, you can't even get in there to look. Trust me, I tried many times...)   So this hole gets reduced to 4-iron wedge, and the best target off the tee is right side, over the large mound. Short of the mound is blind, and a weak shot may roll back down the hill,  so I guess the layup shot has some interest.

I just think on a short hole there has to be more "reward" to make me take risk. If the bunker was 20 yards closer, in the full wedge to the green zone, I would have to take it on. In otherwords, if you let me choose between half wedge and full wedge, I am laying up almost every time, and the hole starts to feel a little like target golf.  But if the choice is full wedge or 6 iron, I am much more likely to take on the hazard.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:38:38 PM by Bill Brightly »

Sven Nilsen

Re: BARNBOUGLE LOST FARM: A hole-by-hole pictorial!!! (2nd hole posted)
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
David,

I see your point, and agree that once you have found the fairway, the second shot is rather straightforward. But I seem to recall that when you go left you have much less room than right, and you bring the marrum grass into play if you go too far left. Obviously, you are a far better driver of the ball than I am :)

Our one round together should be enough evidence that this is not the case! 

I'm going to have to agree with Bill on David's skill with the driver.  On 14 at Lost Farm I observed him skillfully play a low drive in such a way that it caroomed off a conveniently placed plastic tee (lying 15 feet in front of the boxes), utilizing the resulting back spin to perfectly arc with a slight fade into Position A in the fairway.  I'd swear it was a mishit but I believe the same shot was played at least two other times during the round.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »
While I normally like centerline hazards, I think it does not work well on this hole. While I can probably carry it, I am risking too much just to get myself in half-wedge range, plus I bring a possible lost ball in the marrum grass into the equation. (At Lost Farm, a ball in the marrum grass is GONE, you can't even get in there to look. Trust me, I tried many times...)   So this hole gets reduced to 4-iron wedge, and the best target off the tee is right side, over the large mound. Short of the mound is blind, and a weak shot may roll back down the hill,  so I guess the layup shot has some interest.

I just think on a short hole there has to be more "reward" to make me take risk. If the bunker was 20 yards closer, in the full wedge to the green zone, I would have to take it on. In otherwords, if you let me choose between half wedge and full wedge, I am laying up almost every time, and the hole starts to feel a little like target golf.  But if the choice is full wedge or 6 iron, I am much more likely to take on the hazard.

Surprised you have this take knowing that you played the hole on Thursday afternoon with the wind howling.  I'm going to divide this post into a strong wind analysis and a light wind analysis.

Strong Wind:

First, you'd be hard pressed to reach the bunker (which I'd classify as a fronting bunker and not a center-line hazard).  In our group, I think there were two or three drivers hit and one or two three woods, and the closest anyone came to it was 40 yards short (leaving a full shot uphill, into a 3 or 4 club wind from around 70 or 80 yds).  Second, the right side looks attractive, but any slightly pushed ball is dead and the chances of getting an even lie are slim to none.  Third, Coore gave you plenty of options from the left side.  You can play a ball up in the air over the bunker like any american parkland player would, or you could choose to use the contours to run a ball up the right and have it curl off the bank to the hole, like the St. Andrew's caddy program trained Sean Walsh did on Thursday. 

Light Wind:

Faced with conditions where your ball wasn't blowing off the tee, the idea of going for the green comes into play.  For a short par 4, I thought the risk reward options were great.  If you're going for it, there's not a ton of room to miss, as a shot too far right is gone and anything that does not hit the right-side entry point is most likely going to roll into the bunker.  I'm shocked that Kyle was able to play the hole in -1 in two tries from that bunker, but the pin on Saturday was pretty favorable for an easy up and down.  For those that choose to layup, now you're faced with the myriad of decisions you discussed, distance, direction, etc. 

For me, it was driver both days and in both wind conditions, and I wasn't displeased with either result.  I found the 3rd to be incredibly fun, and although not my favorite short par 4 on the property it was high on the list.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Bill Brightly

Re: BARNBOUGLE LOST FARM: A hole-by-hole pictorial!!! (2nd hole posted)
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
David,

I see your point, and agree that once you have found the fairway, the second shot is rather straightforward. But I seem to recall that when you go left you have much less room than right, and you bring the marrum grass into play if you go too far left. Obviously, you are a far better driver of the ball than I am :)

Our one round together should be enough evidence that this is not the case! 

I'm going to have to agree with Bill on David's skill with the driver.  On 14 at Lost Farm I observed him skillfully play a low drive in such a way that it caroomed off a conveniently placed plastic tee (lying 15 feet in front of the boxes), utilizing the resulting back spin to perfectly arc with a slight fade into Position A in the fairway.  I'd swear it was a mishit but I believe the same shot was played at least two other times during the round.

I missed that shot of David's! I have little doubt that when he sees a centerline hazard he thinks "OK, that is something meant to be flown, give me the driver!"

I'm pretty sure this is him in the blue after climbing out of the hazard on Hole 4 at BD :)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
Sven,

I played 3 wood on the really windy day, hit a blocked-right high ball that landed on the large mound and trickled back. Even in a strong wind, I can reach that bunker with a well hit driver because I will get decent roll.

Second time I played a 3 wood left and rolled it into the fronting bunker and hit a straightforward full sand wedge and made par. Third time I hit 4 iron- or maybe a 5 wood, then full gap wedge and made birdie. Both of these were very light wind days. And yes, the pin was in the front so the approach was much easier, we even had a slight backstop to work with, the ridge that divides the front and rear green sections.

But I don't see how you've made the case for taking on the risk of hitting driver, even in light wind days.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:07:21 PM by Bill Brightly »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
Sven,

I played 3 wood on the really windy day, hit a blocked-right high ball that landed on the large mound and trickled back. Even in a strong wind, I can reach that bunker with a well hit driver because I will get decent roll.

Second time I played a 3 wood left and rolled it into the fronting bunker and hit a straightforward full sand wedge and made par. Third time I hit 4 iron- or maybe a 5 wood, then full gap wedge and made birdie. Both of these were very light wind days. And yes, the pin was in the front so the approach was much easier, we even had a slight backstop to work with, the ridge that divides the front and rear green sections.

But I don't see how you've made the case for taking on the risk of hitting driver, even in light wind days.

In my match on Saturday morning both my opponent and I hit driver, he was pin high and I was just off the front.  We both made birdie.  Its risk/reward, we were both rewarded.  In match play, its a great hole.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
OK, I guess I am a wimp. Maybe I layed up on Saturday because I was still smarting from the 8 balls I lost on Thursday...including a long walk from the marrum grass on 18 with nary a ball left in my bag, too mad at myself to beg for another ball.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
I think you need another crack at it, when's the Boomerang returning to Tazzie?

James Bennett

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
guys

I have a good photo of play from the blue tee on 3.  I have to find my photo chip!.

3 blue is reached from the lhs of 2 green.  It is set on top of the sandhill, overlooking 6 green.  A lovely spot, but a shorter hole.  That wide fairway you see on the left makes more sense having seen this tee.  The hole doesn't use that rhight hand slope as much.

Photo to come, sorry.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
James B: 3 blue is reached from the lhs of 2 green.  It is set on top of the sandhill, overlooking 6 green.  A lovely spot, but a shorter hole.  That wide fairway you see on the left makes more sense having seen this tee.  The hole doesn't use that rhight hand slope as much.
James that sounds fascinating - I didn't realise there was a tee up there - I think that would make for an interesting narrow entrance to the green between both traps. looking forward to the Pic.

Guys,
my take on this hole, is that on first seeing the hole layed out in front of you, it just looks like a great fun hole, and a bit of an arrowhead with the pointest end requiring the most accurate shot, I began with driver, then went back to 3W, then back to 4i until my final day was a 6iron to leave me a full 100-110m shot into the front pin. Hitting a 6 iron off the tee, is not the shot of most fun (that would be driver), but if you are 2 down after two, strategic play was required.

As with many of the great courses with these fabulous green complexes, I really feel like we miss out when we don't get to see some of the more interesting pin positions - I am dying to play this hole with the pin up the back,  to me this one set the hole up the best, with a tiny green section to play to, with multiple features to navigate to get it all the way back there, most of them are an uphill shot.
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
Hole 2:
Again, because of the length, some seem to think that it may lack some defence, but I do not agree with this, and apart from it being absolutely fine to have a 3.5 hole here in the routing, I think, as mentioned in previous post, that the pin positions affect play on this hole immensely, I think it is about 60 yards wide this green(?), and the central left bunker is about 200m off the tee, so it is certianly not a proposition to take driver down the left with a high degree of risk, (the bunkers depth will change over time I imagine) and although Dave maybe a proficient FW bunker player, (I thought the 60-100m bunker shot was one of the hardest in golf?) IMO that is adequate defence of the left hand side of the FW and as mentioned, the green is very shallow so distance control into the wind is of great importance.
An earlier round I played to a pin on about 6-10 paces frm the left, just near to the severest undulations on the green, and the four shots I watched played into the pin made for a great spectacle, because unless the shot was carried out exactly as intended, it was kicked away and bogie was best result.

So, even though it can play short, and with a lay up tee shot, trouble is removed, depending on pin placement, I think the next shot is critical and can result in a simple birdie put, a 3 putt or a chip and 2 putt - not perhaps in the top 6 holes on the course, but certainly, for mine not in the worst.
@theflatsticker

Scott Warren

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »
Tom Doak:

I really didn't think the rest of the course was much like St. Andrews at all

My point was not that it was, but that the course as a whole was more like St Andrews Old than any other links I've played.

Perhaps that says more about all the others than it does about Barnbougle Lost Farm.

It struck me as odd while living in the UK that so few links courses seemed to have taken a lead from the oldest and gratest of them all.

What links in your travels have reminded you most of TOC?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
I found the third hole to play better when a crow doesn't steal your ball.  Would love to have found their stash as they also snagged one from me a few holes later.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 05:19:20 AM »
Brett M,

Below is a photo from the Pre-Opening Pictorial Thread I posted on Lost Farm (here at GCA and on ww.thegolfforum.com),
taken from the Keiser tee on 3. It's a cool hole from up there. I prefer the Coore tee however.

Below is the view from the back tee, for sake of comparison.

MM
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:38:37 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 11:29:45 AM »
When I got to the 3rd, it felt like "game on" to me.

I can see what Bill's saying, but I sure felt tempted to go for it.  Especially right of that bunker.  I chickened out with 3W on both rounds and that paid off.  So maybe I'm a little biased.

Liked the green complex with its ridges that you can play with.  A little TD rubbing off on C&C maybe on this one?

Couple of additional pics.  I think a draw into the channel right of the bunker but not up top of the shelf has to be one hell of a shot.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:41:55 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

James Bennett

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »
Lost Farm 3rd Hole Blue Tee, starring Fran!

Not sure of the length, perhaps 180 metres.  I guess this hole shows one of the challenges to the golf course architect - finding great features at the right distance apart to make a good hole.

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
I wasn't that enamored by #2 other than the green with the ridge running through it.

#3 is the start of one of the best three hole stretches on the property - the hole can be approached any number of ways and the centerline bunker is well placed. It's a pretty quick putt from above the hole as well. A very good short P4 though I prefer 14 moreso.

Kyle Henderson

Re: BARNBOUGLE LOST FARM: A hole-by-hole pictorial!!! (4th hole posted)
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 12:48:54 AM »
The 4th hole is a par 3 of 124 meters in a stunningly beautiful setting.

Playing into the wind, it is important to keep your head down and make a smooth swing. Though the 4th plays on the short side, flighting one’s ball through a substantial breeze with a lofted club can be tricky. Fortunately, the weather was very mild on this day.

The green is amply proportioned and not overly contoured. Furthermore, a miss into one of the bunkers will usually still offer a reasonable chance of getting up and down for par. Conversely, a bad miss can be lost in the marram grass.

Do not miss long and left.

Thanks to the spectacular panoramic views of the sea and the Barnbougle Dunes golf course across the river, waiting for the group ahead is hardly an inconvenience at this point in the round.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:36 AM »
Did anyone successfully use the putter down the walking path?

This hole has the feel of a connecting par 3.  A good one as it turns into a different direction and presents all kinds of trouble in and around the green.  Yes, the setting and views are quite spectacular.  I did not think the hole to be too difficult given the lack of wind we had (made a real mess of it in my second round though) and I think the smallish green size is what's important.  For those that experienced it on the day with the 3-4 club wind, I'd love to hear how it played.  Will a knockdown hold?  It looks like a low knockdown just past the right fronting bunker will run and kick left into the green.

It was cool to see ahead of time from BD how long and left was trouble.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:41:10 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

James Bennett

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 03:34:36 AM »
Patrick

I tried the putter about three times - one successful.  I started by the blue tees on the rhs as well.  Great fun, but quite narrow and you have to get the length and stregth right for your line.

James

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 08:17:11 AM »
Patrick:

The wind on Thursday was not only up but quartering off the ocean.  Any straight shot that was going to have a chance needed to start out well over the dunes on the right.  I don't think anyone in our group was brave enough to try to launch one out far enough to that side, thus the result being four balls that either found the marram on the left or (if lucky) the tee box for the fifth (probably the only spot on the course where people on the next hole were in danger of being in the line of a slightly off target shot).  The shot to play would probably be a hard low fade that fights back into the wind.

The back pin from Saturday made for some fun shots as balls played to the front right of the green generally fed off the slopes back to the hole.  There was a bit of finesse involved as well to avoid running through.  However, I think the front pin from Thursday provided a great deal more interest once you were on the green.  From below the hole, a putt hit six feet past would turn around and have a chance of going in on the roll back. 

For a baby par the 4th can be a devil if the wind is up, and its tough to beat that setting.  The routing by Bill Coore out to the very corner formed by the estuary and the river is genius, and is the first example of a theme at Lost Farm that you don't find as much at Barnbougle Dunes, which is the use of corners and sharp angles.  To me, Lost Farm felt much more like a jig-saw puzzle in the way a lot of the holes were arranged, especially here and in the home stretch from 16 to 18.

David_Elvins

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
3 and 4 are nice holes.  I think however they might suffer by comparison to the great short par 4s and short par 3 across the river, which is a bit unfair on 3 in particular.  I think both holes are held slightly back by a lack of width on the playing area.  There seems to be more lost balls than cool recovery options on both holes.  When Kyle says you don't want to be long and left on 4 I think it is a bit misleading because at least it is a place where you can find your ball.  I think 4 really needs wind.  The great short par 3s that i have played and seen call for an exacting shot, even in still conditions.  4 does not do this.  It is pretty good evidence for the argument that par 3s aren't Coore's strong point, IMO. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »
3 and 4 are nice holes.  I think however they might suffer by comparison to the great short par 4s and short par 3 across the river, which is a bit unfair on 3 in particular.  I think both holes are held slightly back by a lack of width on the playing area.  There seems to be more lost balls than cool recovery options on both holes.  When Kyle says you don't want to be long and left on 4 I think it is a bit misleading because at least it is a place where you can find your ball.  I think 4 really needs wind.  The great short par 3s that i have played and seen call for an exacting shot, even in still conditions.  4 does not do this.  It is pretty good evidence for the argument that par 3s aren't Coore's strong point, IMO. 

David:

Par-3's are not supposed to be my strong suit, either.  But, saying a hole at Barnbougle really needs wind is kind of pointless ... how many days have you played there where there wasn't a good wind?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »
It is pretty good evidence for the argument that par 3s aren't Coore's strong point, IMO.  

David

I'd be interested as to how many C&C courses you have now seen to make that statement ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back