News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Why do we travel?
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »
I'm interested to hear from DG members about what drives them to get out there and see new courses or return to old favourites.

What is it about golf travel that gets you going?

Seeing new courses? Revisiting your favourites? Ticking off Top 100s? Catching up with old mates and meeting new ones? Studying different styles of design? The culture of the areas? Entering tournaments? Rating courses?

Feel free to share any stories that sum up why you enjoy it.

Can you remember when you got hooked on golf travel?

Sean_A

Re: Why do we travel?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »
Scott

I did very little golf related travel before I was married and I believe all of that was because of my parents or high school golf team.  When it became apparent my English (married 20 years last September) wife would want to make trips back to see the rents I negociated deals where half the time I would be traveling to other parts of the country to see stuff and play golf.  As my wife just wanted to hang out with her rents it worked out very well.  So for eight years I spent a week every year bombing around.  I also did countless day trips visting churches, castles, villages, and yes, golf courses, when I started to get bored hanging around someone else's house.  I still recall turning up at Little Aston what must be close to 20 years ago and then wondering what all the fuss is about.  Its wonderful to have a subtle course like that slowly sink over such a long period of time.  Anyway, I saw a lot of GB&I in those eight years.  Mind you, I had a bad travel bug before marriage as I spent over three years after university working and traveling on the world road.  Those first eight years pretty much quenched my thirst to participate in forced death marches.  Since then I have been much more liesurely and very content to revisit many of my good value favourite courses and look for the gems as I could see the writing on the wall when I moved to England (13 years ago this June) that prices were not going level off.  I still have the travel bug and enjoy getting a game or two in while on holiday, but I don't have much interest in taking a week long golf holiday anymore as golf eats up too much time unless I rush around.  I want to see the sites, eat good food, get lost in cities, hang out in well located cafes and get mellow while people watching and chatting. 

Ciao       
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:01:54 AM »
The one thing I remember from an existential psychology class I took in 1972 was the concept of “Peak Experience” coined by Abraham Maslow. Since 1978 I’ve had a fairly boring and stressful day job that requires me to travel from time to time with more frequency as I’ve gotten older. I also travel a couple times a year for a not for profit that I support. For me travel is not fun.  I primarily travel as a single. About ten years ago I started taking my golf clubs on every trip and extending the trip on the front and/or back end to play a few rounds. As a single I am often the first one out in the morning playing a new course as the sun rises. Other times I get paired up with locals and make new friends. I’ve found that people are almost universally nice on a golf course. Sometimes I’ll reconnect with old friends in the city I’m visiting. The main thing for me is just experiencing a course for the first time. Some of these rounds have provided my Peak Experiences of the past ten years. Some of the best have been a couple of the Heathland courses in Surrey where I imagined myself 100 years in the past.  Last year I took a mini adventure prior to a trip to Denver that took me to Wildhorse, Bayside and Ballyneal.  Standing on the 4th tee at Ballyneal was a Peak Experience. Being on a course in a new place and just getting caught up in the moment, connecting with the ones you’re with and those who have walked the paths before you and soaking in the wind, sun, clouds or rain, and the wildlife is why I love traveling to new courses. Our Stadiums are the best of any sport even when they have little GCA merit.
As a foot note, Peak Experiences are described by Maslow as especially joyous and exciting moments in life, involving sudden feelings of intense happiness and well-being, wonder and awe, and possibly also involving an awareness of transcendental unity or knowledge of higher truth (as though perceiving the world from an altered, and often vastly profound and awe-inspiring perspective)Maslow describes how the peak experience tends to be uplifting and ego-transcending; it releases creative energies; it affirms the meaning and value of existence; it gives a sense of purpose to the individual; it gives a feeling of integration; it leaves a permanent mark on the individual, evidently changing them for the better. Peak experiences can be therapeutic in that they tend to increase the individual's free will, self-determination, creativity, and empathy. The highest peaks include "feelings of limitless horizons opening up to the vision, the feeling of being simultaneously more powerful and also more helpless than one ever was before, the feeling of great wonder and awe, and the loss of placing in time and space.
I’m not that nutty, but it does happen

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:05:36 AM »
I travel because people love me wherever I go.  My wife says it is because I am so much happier when I am not home. It's addictive.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
Scott

I love seeing how different designers use the land to build their designs.

I first became passionate about travel not long after I took up the game and was keen to see why some courses were rated "better" than others. This took me all over the country and I booked virtually every holiday around playing golf. This pattern hasn't stopped though the travel is a little less frequent nowadays with a young family and all. Luckily my wife supports my passion so long as her needs are catered for - though as you know it require a little more "balancing".

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »
I travel because people love me wherever I go.  My wife says it is because I am so much happier when I am not home. It's addictive.

I have a friend who is on his fifth marriage. On wife number three he was going through quite a rough patch(shocking huh?) when he decides to go on offense and head to Myrtle Beach on a golf trip. When he advises his bride of the decision he is amazed that she handles it with such calm. She not only makes him a nice dinner but also packs a bag for him. When he gets to the hotel and begins unpacking he finds a note that says "F..k you Kenny and don`t come back". The search for old number four had begun.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:58:29 AM »
I travel because I don't live at Bandon....yet.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:24 AM »

I have a friend who is on his fifth marriage. On wife number three he was going through quite a rough patch(shocking huh?) when he decides to go on offense and head to Myrtle Beach on a golf trip. When he advises his bride of the decision he is amazed that she handles it with such calm. She not only makes him a nice dinner but also packs a bag for him. When he gets to the hotel and begins unpacking he finds a note that says "F..k you Kenny and don`t come back". The search for old number four had begun.

I don't travel to Myrtle Beach.

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
I travel and seek out new golf courses because it is about the only way I get the same butterflies and rush I used to get when I was about to go on a first date with a new girl. The excitement of something new and unknowing is quite intoxicating.

I don't drink much. I don't smoke, and I don't gamble. And pretty much every other way where I can get the same feeling is not good for a healthy marriage.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
The one thing I remember from an existential psychology class I took in 1972 was the concept of “Peak Experience” coined by Abraham Maslow. Since 1978 I’ve had a fairly boring and stressful day job that requires me to travel from time to time with more frequency as I’ve gotten older. I also travel a couple times a year for a not for profit that I support. For me travel is not fun.  I primarily travel as a single. About ten years ago I started taking my golf clubs on every trip and extending the trip on the front and/or back end to play a few rounds. As a single I am often the first one out in the morning playing a new course as the sun rises. Other times I get paired up with locals and make new friends. I’ve found that people are almost universally nice on a golf course. Sometimes I’ll reconnect with old friends in the city I’m visiting. The main thing for me is just experiencing a course for the first time. Some of these rounds have provided my Peak Experiences of the past ten years. Some of the best have been a couple of the Heathland courses in Surrey where I imagined myself 100 years in the past.  Last year I took a mini adventure prior to a trip to Denver that took me to Wildhorse, Bayside and Ballyneal.  Standing on the 4th tee at Ballyneal was a Peak Experience. Being on a course in a new place and just getting caught up in the moment, connecting with the ones you’re with and those who have walked the paths before you and soaking in the wind, sun, clouds or rain, and the wildlife is why I love traveling to new courses. Our Stadiums are the best of any sport even when they have little GCA merit.
As a foot note, Peak Experiences are described by Maslow as especially joyous and exciting moments in life, involving sudden feelings of intense happiness and well-being, wonder and awe, and possibly also involving an awareness of transcendental unity or knowledge of higher truth (as though perceiving the world from an altered, and often vastly profound and awe-inspiring perspective)Maslow describes how the peak experience tends to be uplifting and ego-transcending; it releases creative energies; it affirms the meaning and value of existence; it gives a sense of purpose to the individual; it gives a feeling of integration; it leaves a permanent mark on the individual, evidently changing them for the better. Peak experiences can be therapeutic in that they tend to increase the individual's free will, self-determination, creativity, and empathy. The highest peaks include "feelings of limitless horizons opening up to the vision, the feeling of being simultaneously more powerful and also more helpless than one ever was before, the feeling of great wonder and awe, and the loss of placing in time and space.
I’m not that nutty, but it does happen

The "Peak Experience" is the real deal.  I think mine came on my first trip to Italy when we walked outside the terminal and saw Venice in the distance across the lagoon.  It continued for the two weeks we were traveling through the country.  I have never forgotten the rush of emotions on that first day, learning I could successfully navigate in a foreign land.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
I travel and seek out new golf courses because it is about the only way I get the same butterflies and rush I used to get when I was about to go on a first date with a new girl. The excitement of something new and unknowing is quite intoxicating.

I don't drink much. I don't smoke, and I don't gamble. And pretty much every other way where I can get the same feeling is not good for a healthy marriage.

What are you, religious?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »

Please don't take this the wrong way but now that you have lost your innocence by becoming a rater do you see this feeling changing?  It will still be all good, just different.

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
I travel for golf courses because I want to see golf courses, play golf on them, and know everything I possibly can about them from the subgrade up.  Simple really. 

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »

When I turned 40 and was just getting back into golf after a 23 year layoff , my good friend Tom Clasby invited me to the Olympic Club and then later that year arranged for me to play Shinnecock. Tom not only keeps up with the Golf Mag US and world's top 100 lists, but has played every course ever listed on Golf Digest's US top 100!      I loved both courses and "got the bug" to seek out the great ones.  Learning about golf course architecture and meeting designers along the way have only enhanced my experiences.   The best thing though is that I have met so many fantastic people, friends now for life, guys like Kevin Pallier, Bill McBride, Bill Schulz, Jim Franklin, Doug Braunsdorf, Jason Mandel     .... sharing life experiences, getting to know each other, talking golf...

priceless..............................

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:24:20 PM »
...because they won't travel to me!!

Richard Choi

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
What are you, religious?

Not in the least. I guess I am just boring...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
I travel to see these golf courses because it is fun and interesting.

Half the fun is getting there.  The planning of where to go, why to go there, and actually making the trek.

Then when you are there, it is always a blast.

Seeing the different terrains, experiencing different cultures...neat stuff.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 10:20:18 PM »
I am constantly trying to capture that sense of adventure.  I've always had an interest in maps, geography, and finding new places to see.  I go on adventures around the surrounding areas of Colgate, and my golf trips just expand on that sense of adventure.  A lot of that sense involves being wide-eyed and taking in everything about the golf course: seeking out the options of each hole, checking out the contours, and analyzing the greens.  This sense is always heightened when a golf course is more rugged and natural in appearance.  Getting closer to nature, as cliche as it might sound to others, is a huge part of the experience for me.

Beyond all of that, I have sense that I need to see all of these different golf courses for some reason.  I still haven't figured out what reason is, but it's there, without a doubt.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »

Beyond all of that, I have sense that I need to see all of these different golf courses for some reason.  I still haven't figured out what reason is, but it's there, without a doubt.

John-Wait until you get married. You will have a much better idea. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back