News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Heathland Restoration
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
At Notts (Hollinwell) there has over the last few years been quite a bit of tree removal and heathland restoration taking place. I’m pretty certain many other heathland courses around the country have been doing similar projects. I see this as a good thing for the restoration of rare habitat and the improved biodiversity that this brings.

However, a lot of the older members at Notts seem to dislike this work and preferred the more tree lined course of the past. I’m still a new member so I don’t want to go around upsetting the more long standing members, but I thought I needed to do a little more research into the benefits of heathland restoration, both for the wildlife and also any benefits to the golf course, before getting into any heated debates.

Has anyone here got any knowledge or experience of heathland restoration on golf courses and the effects this has had?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

Re: Heathland Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:24:05 AM »
Well I didn't think the enquiry was that bizarre...  ::) but as this has just dropped off the front page with no replies I thought I'd bump it up again in case anyone has missed it... I've got some research to do at Notts and once I find anything I'll post it here, but in the mean time if anyone has any knowledge or experience of heathland restoration at a golf course, feel free to post away!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 03:29:44 AM »
James - Walton Heath has been doing considerable work on tree removal and heath restoration. Also Hankley Common supply heather to other clubs and the entire course is a wildlife wonderland. Whilst I cannot offer a specific answer to your question I'm sure a letter to the head greenkeepers may get a useful response.
Cave Nil Vino

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 04:20:40 AM »
James

You are perfectly correct with your assertion about the biodiversity benefits of heathland restoration.  I'm not enough of a horticulturalist to be able to give you statistics but an open, sunny heath will support far more flora and fauna than a canopy enclosed woodland formed typically, in the heathland context, of scrub birch and commercial forestry stock.  Every morning I drive to work past the overgrown heath between Sunningdale Golf Club and the M3.  It is a scruffy thicket of Silver Birch and fallen timber, yet just a few hundred yards away on the Sunningdale property you will find an open, well managed and bioculturally diverse heath.  It's the same ground, but the neglected forest is dead zone.

2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
It's chalk down rather than heath, but Temple GC in Maidenhead is the poster boy for what careful management of native vegetation does for habitat - rare orchids, birds etc flourish there. James - I will introduce you to Malcolm Peake at Temple who is a v good source for this kind of thing.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »
James

I recall getting a tour at Walton Heath 10 or 11 years ago when they were doing some heavy tree removal even then. They were also trying to regenerate the heather which was proving difficult.

With regards to members complaints I recall there was an outcry at Silloth a few years back when they blitzed the gorse. The older members were up in arms claiming it ruined the course. The Committee managed to calm them down by showing them an aerial of the course 60 or 70 years ago which showed there was a fraction of the amount of gorse back then. Perhaps a similar approach at Notts might work.

Niall

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:07:34 PM »
James

You could use the "rare environment" angle. And it really is rare.

Or perhaps the "patriotic" , aesthetic, angle...lowland Heath (different from Moor or heather on the hills) is very English.  Think Thomas Hardy and his descriptions of  fictitious  Egdon Heath.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:16:00 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 02:24:57 AM »

James I’m sending you a short book published by the National Trust on this and I’m happy for it to be forwarded to anyone else who might be  interested.

I’ve written on this before but this map shows just how rare it now is.

The Dornoch area is costal heath and it would take a geologist to say shich parts of the course were pure links.

Heathlands
 is one of the most managed environments we have.  Robin’s comments show how it can revert to wilderness.  Although the land is often to poor to have been used for farming it had the following economic factors to exploit e..g

Gorse, or Furze, was prised wood.  Both for building and ovens as it burned at a very high temperature.

Sandy soil is ideal for rabbits, This was a huge ‘industry’ in Victorian times.  Fur and meat.

Gravel, and peaty turf was extracted.
Heather, honey production.
Sheep were grazed

It’s the animals that keep the tree saplings down.

Around the 1970’s environmentalists became concerned at the loss of Heathland characteristics and golf course restoration followed that.  I was told there are still members at Walton Heath who can recall being able to see half the course from the clubhouse!

I think golf courses are a suitable use of the land going forward as long as they don’t take up to much area on each heath and they managed the areas of ‘rough’ in a suitable manner.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:20 AM »
James

quite a different area, but a similar management issue....

I visited Boat of Garten in 2006 briefy and literally stumbled across the Course Chairman when he was playing.  He explained to me the amount of effort that went into presenting the course.  They had conflicting challenges of birch, gorse and heather.  If they didn't actively manage, the gorse and the birch would take over.

They had to constantly remove a lot of birch, and manage the gorse.  IIRC.

As a casual observer on the day, I would not have understood the effort that they went to in managing their vegetation.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:38 AM »
We (Northumberland GC) recently appointed STI as our new agronomists.  One of the things they are very enthusiastic about is the possibility of reinstating heather in areas where shrub oaks have been allowed to grow.  We have already, before their appointment, started to encourage heather on certain holes.  Sadly the heather regeneration must take a back seat to sorting out the thatch in our greens......
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Pennell

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
James

I don't have the details to hand but I recall Notts featuring regularly in the British & International Golf Greenkeepers' Association's Environment competition. I think they won it, and it is pretty difficult to do that. Adam Lawrence mentioned Temple, who were also winners of that competition going back a while.

I would think a chat with your course manager or head greenkeeper would be well worth having, as he or she will relate the environmental theory to areas of the course you know. There is also a very good book by one of the STRI consultants, Bob Taylor, that is very good and which goes into detail about the species that benefit from responsible and sympathetic management. There are huge numbers of spiders and invertebrates that thrive on lowland heath, as well as things like adders and nightjars.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studies-Golf-Course-Management-Heathland/dp/1873431244/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302361648&sr=1-11

It is quite usual for members to see tree removal as bordering on a criminal act, and when done on a large scale (as it often needs to be when clubs have let the heather deteriorate) it can look brutal. But like any groundwork it soon softens up on the eye, and the benefits are often not just to the heather but more importantly in the eyes of the critical member, the turf inside the heather borders. Worplesdon is Surrey is a good example of this – they have done a great deal of tree management in recent years, and while there was plenty of initial criticism of the tree work, the turf has improved alongside the heather.

There is nothing to say that Notts cannot maintain its’ tree-lined nature and regenerate the heather, though. At New Zealand GC there are lovely corridors through the trees, but the key is that most of the trees are pine, and species that drop large leaves like oak are kept to a minimum. It is the leaf litter that contributes most to degeneration of heather, as the nutrients that are released when the leaves rot down enrich the soil. Heather grows best in poor soil, as it can out-compete more nutrient-hungry plants. Picking up leaf litter from heather is not only expensive but you have to be very careful about damaging the heather with machinery when doing it. Obviously the more you can control the trees (ideally when they are just saplings) the less you have to spend on clearing the leaf litter.

"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

James Boon

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »
Thank you all for your replys. They encouraged me to keep searching the internet and I found a few links, but hearing that others have experienced members not liking tree removal etc, makes me realise I'm glad its not just me!

The R&A actually has some info on their site:
https://www.bestcourseforgolf.org/content/case_studies/conserving_and/case_study_club
https://www.bestcourseforgolf.org/content/case_studies/conserving_and/heather_managem
https://www.bestcourseforgolf.org/content/case_studies/conserving_and/heather_regener
https://www.bestcourseforgolf.org/content/case_studies/conserving_and/managing_your_h
Notts actually gets a mention here, and also Richards mention of them winning an award, lead me to these:
http://www.golfenvironmentawards.com/index.php?p=1_14_Notts-Hollinwell-Golf-Club
Page 16, 17 and 19 of http://www.bigga.org.uk/uploads/document/25/gi-april-2008.pdf

I've managed to find a bit more information as well and made contact with the relevant people at the club. Thanks again for all your information, advice and comments. If I can find the time, I feel an "In My Opinion" piece coming from this...

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:52:02 PM by James Boon »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
James on one famous Australian course we heard the superintendent removes roughly a tree a week in different areas. This way he can manage the tree stock with most of the members not even noticing.

Richard - do you know if NZGC made a concious decision years ago to remove the birches and any sapplings that appear? I'm aware that the lack of grazing and deer on many heaths allows the silver birch to take hold. Looking forward to catching up and recounting my travels!
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »
I think the 'animals' that control the saplings on Heathland courses these days are of of the genus Artisan.   

(With apologies to you, know who you are, reading this).

At Woking on a dry December  day  I saw the control of leaves Richard was talking about. There was a reasonable cross wind on holes 11,12 & 13, and on the upwind side of the fairway they had a large and powerful  tractor-mounted blower shifting the leaves from in amongst the Heather .  With the wind distributing them across the fairway they could then be hovered up. Very labour and machine intensive work for something the members would hardly notice and it will have to be done for years before there’s any noticeable effect.  Hopefully they have the will to keep this up.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Bennett

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »
I think the 'animals' that control the saplings on Heathland courses these days are of of the genus Artisan.   

(With apologies to you, know who you are, reading this).

Tony

is a springbok an artisan animal?  I hear they do good work.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back