News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

I can not think of a single course that was brought to my attention that I now desire to either join or play because of the recent rating publications.  I had already purchased the right to play Rock Creek Cattle Company once this year.  My opinion of Old Mac or The Alotion has not changed.  I've toured at The Prairie Club and Karnacked that baby on first glance.  But I was not unaffected, sadly to the negative.  The drama of a sub-400 ranking for Ballyhack was enough for me to withdraw from the Dixie Cup.  Not that I believe that Golfweek is correct in their assumptions, I just don't have the energy to fight the negativity of ignorance on what should be a relaxing venture.

So, what have the ratings done for you?

Melvyn Morrow

Re: How has the 2011 rating season textured your golfing horizons?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »

John

No totally pointless, the proof in only in the playing and can only be judged by the individual playing otherwise we would all be cloned and either looking like you John or perhaps worst still married to you ;)

Melvyn

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »

John

No totally pointless, the proof in only in the playing and can only be judged by the individual playing otherwise we would all be cloned and either looking like you John or perhaps worst still married to you ;)

Melvyn

Honestly, if my wife had not been voted so highly in several popularity contests I doubt that I would have bothered with her.  Until I joined Dismal River I had always been a shallow trophy hunting kind of guy.  What a douche I be.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »
John,
I was really happy to see Monroe finally get into the top 100.  That's about it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
Say what you will about these rankings, but given Golfweek and Golf Digest's embracing some of Tom Fazio's courses I'm going to make the time to see a few of these new ones.  What a douche I be.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:17:48 PM »
Dear Tom,
Riverfront is becoming the Rodney Dangerfield of golf in Virginia.  Which I guess is great if you are me, becuase that means fewer people play the course.

Bye the bye, also in Virginia, Strantz's Royal New Kent did not make the grade.  Their twilight rates should continue to be in tact.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
I will not play any courses listed below the Top 10 in any ranking by any publication. That's my texture and I'm sticking to it.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Cory Lewis

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:40:27 AM »
Based on the next 100 classic, I need to take a trip to the Pittsburgh area!  I'm anxious to play Allegheny, Longue Vue, Pittsburgh Field Club, and Butler.  Besides the Field Club, I hadn't heard of any of these courses before.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »
Based on the next 100 classic, I need to take a trip to the Pittsburgh area!  I'm anxious to play Allegheny, Longue Vue, Pittsburgh Field Club, and Butler.  Besides the Field Club, I hadn't heard of any of these courses before.

Cory:

Hopefully you will file a report here on your trip, if you make it, since none of those courses has gotten much if any coverage on Golf Club Atlas.  In fact, they have never been brought to my attention, either.  My guess is that you'll determine that GOLFWEEK has a handful of overzealous "homer" panelists from western PA, but I would be delighted to find out I'm wrong.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »
Just looked up Longue Vue - Architect was Robert White.

From the photos I was able to find, it looks to be tree-choked.  I'm surprised it'd find its way into the top 100 with all those trees.

"With stunning views of the Allegheny River Valley, Longue Vue is a premiere golf venue featuring a challenging Robert White-designed golf course with unique horticultural gardens and meticulously manicured fairways and greens."

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:29:22 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Brad Klein

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
The evidence from Philadelphia, NY and Chicago is that "homer" panelists vote one course up in their region and everything else down. If you really wanted to boost ratings you'd exclude everyone within a 100-mile zone. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »

From the photos I was able to find, it looks to be tree-choked.  I'm surprised it'd find its way into the top 100 with all those trees.

"With stunning views of the Allegheny River Valley, Longue Vue is a premiere golf venue featuring a challenging Robert White-designed golf course with unique horticultural gardens and meticulously manicured fairways and greens."

"Tree-choked," you say.  Hmmm - as opposed to:

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »
But Bogey, it plays wider than it looks ;) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
Thats nothing...here's how you do trees right and get in the top 50 in the world!!  ;D

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »
KAlen, wow. Is that Sahalee?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »

Indeed.  I inserted the big pic for extra effect.   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
The file name says it is.

I did some measuring of the width between trees at Sahalee on Google Earth. The narrowest I found was about 17 yards. I found 4 under 25 yards. And, I didn't do a thorough examination.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 01:10:10 PM »
John,

That's only because Kingsley wasn't given it's proper due...;)  Personally, I've determined not to play any new Fazio course until it's been ranked for 5 years...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »
Michael Herndon - Your point is well taken

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »

"Tree-choked," you say.  Hmmm - as opposed to:

Mike

Every time I hear someone gripe about how narrow Augusta is with the new trees and "rough" , I think of Pine Valley and chuckle.....
Groupthink is a funny thing
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
Jeff,

I think they are many, if not a majority, on this site who have voiced an opinion that Pine Valley could well do with a whole fleet of chain saws to open up the place a bit.  I for one am inclined to think so based on the pics I've seen from what is is now, compared to when it was first opened.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »
Oddly, Longue Vue gets a lot of press in the PGA/PSU PGM circuit as one of the more premiere courses in the Pittsburgh area. I've heard many good things about the course. I'm guessing the like being a hidden place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back