News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Golf Architecture Prizes
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:46:49 AM »
I was just reading about the Pritzker Architecture Prize in the Globe and Mail newspaper this morning. For architects, it's apparently the world’s most significant award. And, according to architecture critic Lisa Rochon, "one that showers vast prestige and $100,000 on its laureates".

Established in 1978, by Jay and Cindy Pritzker of the Chicago-based Hyatt Hotels empire, the purpose of the Pritzker Architecture Prize is “to honour a living architect whose built work demonstrates a combination of those qualities of talent, vision and commitment, which has produced consistent and significant contributions to humanity and the built environment through the art of architecture".

Aside from the usual rankings and annual "best new" awards, it's a bit unfortunate that similarly more sophisticated "prizes" haven't been established in the field of golf course architecture over the years. 

jeffmingay.com

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Golf Architecture Prizes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
It would be nice Jeff but more difficult I reckon... Whilst both professions are open to subjective ratings (as in all art), I reckon that a golf architect relies more on outside variables than does building architecture... Topography, scenery, soil and agronomy can be a major part of how a golf course is rated.... After that, the details that separate the great from the good are invisible to all but a very small percentage...

There are of course outside influences on buildings, not least how they fit in to their surroundings... I just think there are less...

Still - Would be a nice idea. I'd love to see it... Would almost have to be a "Player's Award" though... Voted for only by other Golf Course Architects...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:02:49 PM »
Would be a nice idea. I'd love to see it... Would almost have to be a "Player's Award" though... Voted for only by other Golf Course Architects...

That would never work.  There would be so much politicking, I can't even begin to imagine it.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
... Voted for only by other Golf Course Architects...

The decisions would be so politicized and lobbied that the results would always be disappointing.....like the Oscars!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 04:24:44 PM by Ian Andrew »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
Jeff,
They already receive awards, like Best New Public, Best New Private, etc., etc..
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »
Tom, Ian,

It might make for some interesting results though?

I don't think it really works at all. In my opinion it works in none of the arts either. But at least with them (music, literature, art anyway), the panel are judging what is almost wholly the artists work. There are too many other aspects in play with a golf course.  

I think getting a panel of so-called GCA experts to judge it would be as much like the Oscars as any other way to be honest although watching ASGCA, EIGCA and SAGCA members vote for their brethren might end up being a bit like the Eurovision Song Contest alright...

I'm happy having a "Best Golf Course of the Year"... Just not an "Architect of the Year"

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
Frankly, I'm not big on awards and prizes. But, after reading the aforementioned article about the Pritzker Architecture Prize, it just seems to me that there could be a place in golf course architecture for more sophisticated recognition of extraordinary works, using a more detailed criteria for such achievement, than the usual "best new" awards and magazine rankings.

Just a thought.
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Kelly:

How do you know who you are voting for if you don't know what you're voting on?

Or are you assuming the same mission statement as for the Pritzker Prize (from the first post)?

And how often would the award be given?  It can't be an annual thing, or everyone would have their turn, like the ASGCA presidency.  Maybe once every 3-5 years?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
Interesting ideas, Kelly.

I like Tom's idea of such an award being given every 3-5 years or so, rather than annually. I think that provides more significance.

I also think it's very important that the criteria for such an award speaks to something of real signficance; which could mean a bunch of different things, of course. > Genuine innovation or achievement that takes golf course architecture to new heights, rather than just awarding a prize for creation of another new, pretty course.

And, in my view, the smaller the panel of judges the better.

I don't think the monetary prize is that important, either. Though, what winner should turn it down, if in fact it existed :)
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »
interesting....you can't do it thru GCA Atlas because so many of the mainstream guys would have no chance....all of these things are a nice gesture by a philanthropist but the main thing they do is help the recipient with PR....the politics and the marketing that would be generated by such would be enormous...my bet is RTJ2 would win it all....he has the political connections...he even got into  Bohemian Grove and might be a member of the Trilateral Commission.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back