News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: THM - Alps Final Four - Prestwick 17th vs Old Macdonald 16th
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »

Garland

That’s their choice.

As for Prestwick, golf echoes down the ages eliminating all these new pretenders to the Open Crown of Golf.

There is only one Prestwick as there is only one St Andrews. Any Hole at these two sites will thrill the senses, negating the need to compare. The history of the sites alone will raise the heartbeat while the links golf will put you in touch with your inner self (in some cases their feminine side).

Remember Sean has migrated to England which allows us to call him a Sassenach.

So would you support a Sassenach when it comes to golf?   ;D

Melvyn

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 06:13:20 AM »
Prestwick leads 8 to 3. Voting ends today!

As a participant on a golf architecture website I find it interesting that some have said that Prestwick gets their vote along the lines "because it's the original".....surely one can come up with something better than that ?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 06:40:21 AM »

Kevin

My dear friend as to your comments in reply # 27 may I humbly suggest that you raise your eyes further up the screen to reply#26  ‘surely one has come up with something better than that’ and I quote

“As for Prestwick, golf echoes down the ages eliminating all these new pretenders to the Open Crown of Golf.

There is only one Prestwick as there is only one St Andrews. Any Hole at these two sites will thrill the senses, negating the need to compare. The history of the sites alone will raise the heartbeat while the links golf will put you in touch with your inner self (in some cases their feminine side).”

Only thing missing with the above are a set of Bagpipes in the background ;D

Or Kevin have I hit a sore nerve mentioning your feminine side – no just kidding ;)

Melvyn

JLahrman

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
Prestwick leads 8 to 3. Voting ends today!

As a participant on a golf architecture website I find it interesting that some have said that Prestwick gets their vote along the lines "because it's the original".....surely one can come up with something better than that ?

I completely agree.  I would think that we would want to view these holes in a vacuum as much as possible, considering GCA only.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »

There are Holes and there are Holes, Taking them out of context is not the way to examine said Holes.

Are we not persuaded or even swayed by the location, the environment, even the weather conditions have a serious bearing on a Links courses, so we need to take it in context, not out. Therefore, the whole experience of the club, course ground must come into play, that being the case then the age, historical importance all come into the equation because it is impossible to have played Prestwick without some sort of emotion which must surely reflects upon one’s opinion.

Just because Prestwick is off The Open agenda these days do not dismiss her as she is a real Lady with many, many charms. Her pedigree is exemplary, but alas she holds little in land which has limited her attraction to many even those at The R&A.

Melvyn

Richard Choi

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »
The original and the top seed, Prestwick advances!

Matt, You have to hit a VERY long drive to the right to see the hole. I would say over 90% of the drives would never have the view of the hole.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
Prestwick 17th. It's greatness is demonstrated by how little it has changed over time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back