News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: General Survey – Have you played a Links Course?
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »
I think the turf is more important than the routing.

It's hard to downgrade Pennard, Rye, Princes and Sandwich, although each is a double loop routing rather than out and back.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »

Mike

Which Muirfield course and I did not want to get bogged down on the definition of a links course believing that the above breakdown was sufficient for the purpose of this question.

Melvyn

Bill you mean a bit of Surf & Turf ;)

mike_beene

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 05:39:25 PM »
the Honorable Company of Edinborough Golfers course. the nines return but I have it on my links list.I consider the Gullane courses links as well although maybe not for the part on the clubhouse side of the hill?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »

Mike

Which Muirfield course and I did not want to get bogged down on the definition of a links course believing that the above breakdown was sufficient for the purpose of this question.

Melvyn

Bill you mean a bit of Surf & Turf ;)

As in steak and lobster?  :)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
Yes - I've played a few.

To ask a few questions back - have you played links golf outside of GB&I ? If so - could you then elaborate as to how you found the golf ? If not - why not ?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:50:16 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Pat Burke

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »
I've played TOC Carnoustie, Lytham, and a couple of others.

My favorite courses personally are in the Melbourne sandbelt

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
"h) The course routes out and back. The No. 1 hole begins at the clubhouse and the front nine plays straight out so that No. 9 is farthest hole from the clubhouse; the direction turns back in at No. 10 and the course ends with No. 18 back at the clubhouse."

Royal Birkdale, Portmarnock, Royal County Down, Barnbougle Dunes, Royal Hague and Kennemer are all links where the 9th hole returns to the clubhouse. Falsterbro returns to the clubhouse after the 7th hole.

There are numerous links courses that do not play "straight out so the No. 9 is the furthest hole from the clubhouse," Royal Porthcawl being an example.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:46:49 PM by David_Tepper »

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »
The out and back thing is a massive head-scratcher.

Trevose, St Enodoc, Sandwich, Princes, Rye, Baltray, TEC (though your natural humps and hollows classification also rules it out), Crail, The Struie... none are out and back.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
By the list in the aforementioned "True Links" I've played 4, all in Australia; Barnbougle, Lost Farm, Port Fairy and Barwon Heads. None satisfy the out and back criteria.
Expanding the list dramatically in June with my first visit to Scotland, cant wait.

David Lott

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
10 or so. But not for a while . . . .
David Lott

Steve Lang

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »
 8)  TOC , Sept 1996, twas a very nice experience

p.s.  (walked it the day before)

p.s.s.  I found Ganton a much more challenging ground game..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
For the sake of credibility this is a pretty good idea.  It is difficukt to comment authoritatively on links courses without any experience.  I've played a little over 40 differnt courses and probably over 100 rounds in the UK and Ireland.  I will state that Sand Hills played more linkslike than Troon the last times I played both.  I really think that Bandon Dunes should be considered true linksland because I have played in soft conditions in the UK and Bandon does tend to play really firm! I would also include Ballyneal as a linksland course--I am pretty certain there are some geologists who can show that it once was seaside!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »
Sad to say, Melvyn - I have never played a links course.

Peter

Mike Benham

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 08:37:01 PM »

How many of GCA.com members have NOT played a Links Course

I'm not sure which question we are suppose to answer, so I will do both ... 

Have you played a Links Course?   Yes

How many of GCA.com members have NOT played a Links Course ... 367 out of 1,200

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »

Mike, I know the 367 comment is a joke, but I bet you the actual number is closer to 100.

By the way, I have played a Links Course :)

Mark

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
Melvyn, I have played about 50 and am a member at Westward Ho! and the European Club.  It is my favorite kind of golf.  If I lived on the British Isles I think I would venture to the sea to play most of my golf.  I do, however, love heathland golf almost as much.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Nugent

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 12:05:51 AM »
I played all three nines at Portmarnock once. 

Richard Choi

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
Mark, if you go by Melvin's definition, the number would be closer to 1000 than 100. There are very few courses in US that fit those criteria...

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »
Rich,

I agree there are probably very few courses that meet Melvin's definition in the US.  I actually figured (maybe naively) that most on this board would have made the pilgrimage to TOC.  I guess I could be wrong.

Mark

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2011, 01:08:40 AM »
Using my own criteria which is quite strict as to what constitutes a links (in other other words out n' back has nothing to do with it), I would say something approaching 100 and what has to be at least 250 rounds.  In the right conditions links is my favourite style of golf, but I am growing more fond of easier heathland golf as I age. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Andy Stamm

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2011, 02:05:10 AM »
I have. I'd never play anywhere else if I had links courses at my disposal every day.

The out and back bit is puzzling, and Cruden Bay is on the list of links but is not out and back.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2011, 03:52:17 AM »
Tommy - I am insanely jealous of my mates who variously couple membership at Deal with Sunningdale, The Berkshire, Worplesdon, Walton Heath, Hankley Common and West Hill.

If I could never play any other courses in my life a great links paired with a great heath would fullfill my golfing desires.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2011, 03:54:39 AM »
Chaplington: +1.

Deal and Hankley - heaven!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2011, 05:30:26 AM »

Gentlemen

Many thanks for your generous response, my aim was to see how many – that is if any had not experience the joy of playing a links course.

My definition of a links course was loose to give you a rough guide as I said I did not want to get this question bogged down on what constitutes a links course.

I have in the past played wherever I could, in GB I have played most if not all my links courses, yet I have experience the game in the Tropics from Asia to Africa (Nigeria) Jamaica and South America.

No matter where I have laid my ball, the most relaxing of all is the welcome a Links course can offer throughout its changing weathered face. I am not home or at home until I see my links be they looped or straight out and back. They have the knack of making one feel alive and at one with one’s inner self.   

Melvyn

Scott Warren

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2011, 05:32:46 AM »
How long is it since you've played golf Melvyn, out of interest?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back