News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Re: Worst Club logo's
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »
No problem Mac, you know I am always a reliable source for logo information. In fact, I am working on a nice triumverate for Wed! Trying to decide whether to group by geography, course type, lowest total ranking? So many ways to go.  ;D

Anthony Butler

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »
I suppose if you are obligated to by a shirt after a comped round this would be an issue.  The New South Wales logo is so ugly that my wife took a picture of me wearing the shirt just to prove to my daughter that I didn't hate it.

If you're talking about the club logo that Scott posted, I would agree that it's a bit pedestrian considering the course it represents. It's stretch to call it ugly.

If you're talking about the one on the shirts... which Scott also posted, they all have a version of the NSW Coat of Arms on them, so you just insulted 6 million people... Nice work!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:42:14 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
Tim Martin, I concur...sleeve beats left breast in my book...people have to see a different side of you (beyond the cover) to learn what you're about.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »
Any logo with an Indian Head is cool in my book. The one's that quickly come to mind are Shinny, Charles River, Aronimink, Seminole, Indian Hill Club-must be some others? Also enjoy the logos from Minikahda and White Bear Yacht Club.
                                                                     Jack

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
Among my best are:

Camelback CC, Scottsdale, AZ

Elephant Rocks GC, Williams, AZ

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Gene Greco

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'm not a fan of the Sand Hills logo.  The golf course speaks to me.  The logo has a speech impediment.

No heat here.  I tell everyone I don't like the Sand Hills logo and they all give me crap for it.  In fact, the greatest aficionado of logos I've ever known adores the Sand Hills logo.  It baffles me.

Ed, JC:

What part of the logo do you not understand?

It's cattle country.

It's a brand, the shape and style of which a rancher would use to mark his cattle.

It's the purest and simplest logo of them all.

When I see the logo it immediately takes me to the Sandhills of Nebraska and, of course, the club.

Isn't that what a club logo is supposed to accomplish, a mark emblematic of the club and what it stands for or its origins?

The only logo for the club which might have been better would have been a chicken with a black universal sign of "no" circling it. :D

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2011, 10:22:37 AM »
Lots of people have speech impediments; doesn't make them less of a person.

This is clearly a "too much time on our hands" thread, which does not keep me from contributing.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
I think Cape Kidnapper's is pretty good. It's easy to reproduce and reflects the area.

I'd drawn a logo for Artland Golf Club (named after the region) and used the 5000 year old stone graves on the property as the logo, but the owner's manager opted for a 6th grade art class winner (not really) instead. Where they got it I have no idea.
http://www.artland-golfclub.de/pages/de/home.php

Have to say Enniscrone might beat it easily.

David Stamm

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »
Personally, I love Maidstones. Garden City, LACC, Valley Club, Creek Club are some of my other favorites.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JC Jones

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'm not a fan of the Sand Hills logo.  The golf course speaks to me.  The logo has a speech impediment.

No heat here.  I tell everyone I don't like the Sand Hills logo and they all give me crap for it.  In fact, the greatest aficionado of logos I've ever known adores the Sand Hills logo.  It baffles me.

Ed, JC:

It's cattle country.

It's a brand, the shape and style of which a rancher would use to mark his cattle.

When I see the logo it immediately takes me to the Sandhills of Nebraska and, of course, the club.

Isn't that what a club logo is supposed to accomplish, a mark emblematic of the club and what it stands for or its origins?

The only logo for the club which might have been better would have been a chicken with a black universal sign of "no" circling it. :D

Gene,

I get what it means and what it says but nonetheless, I'll defer.  ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »

Ed, JC:

It's cattle country.

Gotta agree with Gene on this one. The Sand Hills logo is a perfect fit for what the club is all about.  What more could one want?

JC Jones

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »
I was thinking something along the lines of the Land O' Lakes butter logo.  That way when I bend over to pick up my ball the knees come up near the neck :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

David Kelly

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2011, 04:07:39 PM »
I think Cape Kidnapper's is pretty good. It's easy to reproduce and reflects the area.

I'd drawn a logo for Artland Golf Club (named after the region) and used the 5000 year old stone graves on the property as the logo, but the owner's manager opted for a 6th grade art class winner (not really) instead. Where they got it I have no idea.
http://www.artland-golfclub.de/pages/de/home.php

Have to say Enniscrone might beat it easily.

The trouble with Cape Kidnappers is that it looks nothing like a golf club logo and with many of the logos from AUS, NZ and the UK the logo is so big you can see it from space when it is on a shirt.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
Great ones...

Oakmont, Merion, Philadelphia Cricket, Philadelphia Country, Chicago GC, Myopia, Crooked Stick member's logo

Needs some work...

Anything that looks like it was done in 1976 and never updated (Riviera, Desert Mountain, and unfortunately Desert Forest)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the R&A member logo.  Is it me, or does it look like St. Andrew had a tough day on the links?

Sean_A

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »

Come on, not even a contest. Top something course in Ireland and Europe. I am a member so I am allowed to say it, and yes I have suggested.....

When this thread came up I immediately thought of Enniscrone and University of Michigan.  http://www.mgoblue.com/facilities/golf-course-tour.html

Although, those Aussie/Kiwi logos are dreadful as well.  Who thinks up this sort of shit?  

One of my favourites which is meant to represent man's perfect servant.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:26:02 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David Kelly

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »

Although, those Aussie/Kiwi logos are dreadful as well.  Who thinks up this sort of shit?  

Although the weakness of the logos did save me a few hundred dollars on my latest trip down there.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

JR Potts

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
I've always had a love hate relationship with the logo of Glen Oak Country Club in Glen Ellyn.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »
Good Logos: Winged Foot (Although as you see below, NYAC deserves credit for both the logo and the name of the club) , Pine Valley, Salem Country Club, Pebble Beach, Sand Hills (nice concept, looks a little unfinished).

Like any other piece of graphic design, you need to focus on either the origins of the club, the location of course, something unique about the nature of the course... that's the only way you'll end up with something distinctive. In that sense, everything related to golf i.e. clubs balls flagsticks  etc. has all been done to death. If you're going to use the club initials, doing them in a way that reflects the above seems like a good idea... i.e. Sand Hills.

Rock Creek Cattle Company, to me, looks it should be on a shrink-wrapped piece of grass-fed beef at the local market.

Next!

JR Potts

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
Ryan, I'd be interested in your take on getting rid of all the framing and lettering in the Medinah logo and just going with the moon and star hanging from the sword...

It would then be the logo for the Shriners and not Medinah Country Club.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
I once nearly convinced a client to use the "Lucky Sperm CC" name until we tried coming up with a club logo.  Pretty sure it would have been worst taste, if not worst.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

David Kelly

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
Good Logos: Winged Foot (Although as you see below, NYAC deserves credit for both the logo and the name of the club) , Pine Valley, Salem Country Club, Pebble Beach, Sand Hills (nice concept, looks a little unfinished).

Like any other piece of graphic design, you need to focus on either the origins of the club, the location of course, something unique about the nature of the course... that's the only way you'll end up with something distinctive. In that sense, everything related to golf i.e. clubs balls flagsticks  etc. has all been done to death. If you're going to use the club initials, doing them in a way that reflects the above seems like a good idea... i.e. Sand Hills.

Rock Creek Cattle Company, to me, looks it should be on a shrink-wrapped piece of grass-fed beef at the local market.

The Los Angeles Athletic Club has almost the same logo as the NYAC and Winged Foot:

The NYAC started in 1868 and the LAAC in 1880.

Rock Creek Cattle Co.'s logo makes it look like a steakhouse.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
I love the Rock Creek logo.

Sahalee has the worst.
Mr Hurricane

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »
Wow!  Thanks so much guys!  I had no idea when I clicked back this many responses would come back.  That Enniscrone is hands down #1!!!

Here is the blog link on the topic:  http://pillarsofgolf.blogspot.com/2011/04/does-you-club-logo-need-overhaul.html

I think the 2nd worst though is Seminole lakes: http://www.myplanet.net/seminolelakes/images/logo.gif

I will say, I didn't include it, because I couldn't get a cut-out of their logo...but Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, TN (the last Raynor course) has one of my favorite logo's.  So simple.

Thanks again.

Joe
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
Seminole is great.  Sugarloaf Mountain is so gawd awful it causes reflux.

I'll second Sugarloaf Mountain. I think the question JC and I asked when we played was whether they used Microsoft Paint to create it.

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

john_stiles

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »

There are many  English  courses that have a shield or crests with about 4 different 'things' imbedded.  There are any number of those that qualify.    Even the Cruden Bay in Scotland is a bit busy.

Being positive,  there are a number of the English that I like,   Deal (even though it does have a 'shield' aspect to it),   Rye, and West Sussex to name a few.

There are a number of the Scottish that I like,  Western Gailes, Machrihanish, Dornoch (even though it has a shield). 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back