News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

The tallest tale
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »
Seeing that is April Fools day I think it is a good time to make a confession -- the supposed article The World's Finest Golf Courses was a total fabrication. Actually it wasn't a total fabrication because much of what was in the article was true, which I suppose was why it was believable. For example the magazine it appeared in was an actual magazine, although I believe it went out of print in 1938. And the editors (Grantland Rice and WD Richardson) and contributors of that magazine were accurate, as were the favorite courses of the crack panelists. I found that info in old British golf guides and/or old magazine articles. But there was no panel and the list was conceived by me based on what I thought it would like in 1939.

Originally I had planned on revealing it was a farce a week or two after printing it, in fact I had a follow up essay ready to go at the time it was published, but the article took on a life of its own, including some restoration projects as a result, and I decided to hold off. I have no idea where that follow up essay is right now, I'm on my second computer since.

There were a couple of hints in the article that could have given it away. The first being the golf writer Hesse in the introduction. That was a tribute to Sidd Finch the infamous SI April Fools phenom. Finch got his name from Siddhartha a novel written by Hermann Hesse. To my knowledge Hermann Hesse never wrote for any golf magazine. Admittedly that hint would have been a tough one to find. The other hint was the mysterious Foulpointe. I found a golf course on Madagascar by that name, and it was pretty old if I remember correctly, but it was not world class by any stretch of the imagination. That hint I thought would eventually give it away, and I think it raised doubts with some, but others are still looking for it. You can stop now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:01:30 AM by Tom MacWood »

Ronald Montesano

Re: The tallest tale
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:47:37 AM »
birds of a feather...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
This is quite disappointing to hear that I have dedicated the last few years and most of my children's college savings to playing a Top 100 list that does not actually exist.  In fact I only had 92 more to see. ;)
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:19:33 AM »
Link to original story thread?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Shamleffer

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »
One more reason to avoid all golf-course rankings.

George Plimpton salutes you.

==========

And looking at that "article" now, for the first time, the copy editor in me can't resist noting the typo in No. 23! (If any of you needs a keen eye on your fraudulent posts, I'm your guy.)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:06:36 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
I can't begin to describe my disappointment that there really was no world-class golf course at Foulpointe, Madagascar. Please don't tell us that Seminole was a fabrication, too.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
One more reason to avoid all golf-course rankiings.

George Plimpton salutes you.

==========

And looking at that "article" now, for the first time, the copy editor in me can't resist noting the typo in No. 23! (If any of you needs a keen eye on your fraudulent posts, I'm your guy.)

What typo?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
What typo?

"23. Laksers, Illinois"

Since the family whose estate contained the course were the Laskers, I'd think it was pretty strange for them to have named their course "Laksers."

But you never know, I guess. For all I know, they called it "Foulpointe"!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:19:12 PM by Dan Kelly »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
Link to original story thread?

Tricks,

Here is a link to a discussion regarding the legendary Foulpointe golf course.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=55.0

TK

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
I would join Dan Kelly and George Plimpton is saluting you, Tom, but just recently I quoted from that essay of yours to make a very important point, a critical point, and I felt butressed and confident of my opinion because I assumed your careful and diligent research and your accurate reportage. But alas, I know learn of the charade, and my whole point now crumbles like the house of cards that it always was. I don't know what to believe anymore.  Wait....is this a joke? Is THIS actually the tall tale, and not the other one? To borrow from that great scene in The Verdict when James Mason is grilling the witness: "Were you lying THEN or are you lying NOW?"  (Of course, it is still April 1st, so please don't bother responding -- I wont' be able to believe you).  Oh, Tom -- when the trust is gone....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:24:14 PM by PPallotta »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
Perhaps Tom is pulling the double-negative on us here, meaning that today's post is the April Fool. 

Forrest Richardson's thrilling escapades of Mutan at FoulPointe are not to be missed and should in fact be resurrected and resumed - I seem to recall that his tale halted mysteriously around the 5th hole.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
"Were you lying THEN or are you lying NOW?"

Does it have to be one or the other?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »
"Were you lying THEN or are you lying NOW?"

Does it have to be one or the other?

Only in The Verdict, I suppose. 

Tom MacWood

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »
What typo?

"23. Laksers, Illinois"

Since the family whose estate contained the course were the Laskers, I'd think it was pretty strange for them to have named their course "Laksers."

The course was on the estate of Albert D. Lasker. I saw it referred to as Laskers, Lasker's, the Lasker links and Lasker's private course.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »

...just recently I quoted from that essay of yours to make a very important point, a critical point, and I felt butressed and confident of my opinion because I assumed your careful and diligent research and your accurate reportage.

What point were you trying to make?

I can assure you as much research went into this piece as any I've written.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:30 PM »
I was exaggerating a tad about how critical the point was, Tom - but it was on the who's qualified to rank golf courses thread, and I pointed out that in 1939, they had a very good idea of who was qualified (and the proof seemed to be in the pudding/choices), the line up including Joyce Wethered, Gene Sarazen, Simpson, Hagen, and Darwin etc. I thought it made a good point.

Peter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »
What typo?

"23. Laksers, Illinois"

The course was on the estate of Albert D. Lasker. I saw it referred to as Laskers, Lasker's, the Lasker links and Lasker's private course.

Yes. Fine. Call it what you will. I've seen it called, I think, Old Mill, too.

But your "article" says "Laksers" [sic] -- L-A-K-S-E-R-S -- not "Laskers," "Lasker's," "the Lasker links" or "Lasker's private course."

As I said: a typo.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:36:04 AM by Dan Kelly »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »
Tom Macwood...

Let me see if I got this straight...ever since that In My Opinion piece was published, which as you have admitted is a total lie/fabrication, you've been deliberately misleading this entire website.  Is that correct?

In light of this, why would anyone ever read one of your posts again?  Or were you actually telling the truth then and simply lying now?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 09:41:31 AM »
I was exaggerating a tad about how critical the point was, Tom - but it was on the who's qualified to rank golf courses thread, and I pointed out that in 1939, they had a very good idea of who was qualified (and the proof seemed to be in the pudding/choices), the line up including Joyce Wethered, Gene Sarazen, Simpson, Hagen, and Darwin etc. I thought it made a good point.

Peter

The idea for the panel came from the early years of the Golf Digest ranking when they had a relatively small panel of 15 or 16 making the selections. The panel was made up of top amateurs, like William Campbell and William Hyndman; legendary pros like Sam Snead, Jimmy Demaret and Byron Nelson; administrators like Deane Beman, PJ Boatwright and Joe Dey; writers like Herbert Warren Wind. I believe Bob Hope and/or Bing Crosby was even on the panel at one time. But basically it was group of very well traveled, very well connected golfers. You can contrast the results of the early years of GD, with its smaller well established group, to the current set up. The elite group was not as impressed with sparkling new design or the overly difficult course (after the list converted from the most difficult courses to the greatest tests), and as a result the list was a lot more stable, and more interesting IMO.

The major difference between my panel and GD's is the international nature of mine. I read hundreds of articles to just come up with what I thought would be the perfect panel, that was a difficult task in itself. I identified what golfers actually traveled around the world and played these courses. I read hundreds articles (and books) to determine what courses these gents and ladies really liked, and the list was also affected by the tastes of others who did not make the panel, like Bobby Locke, Ralph Kennedy, Herbert Warren Wind and Peter Lawless. IMO it is a damn good list--reflective of the tastes of the elite of golf at the time--even if it is fraudulent.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:09:59 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
What typo?

"23. Laksers, Illinois"

Yes. Fine. Call it what you will. I've seen it called, I think, Old Mill, too.

But your "article" says "Laksers" [sic] -- L-A-K-S-E-R-S -- not "Laskers," "Lasker's," "the Lasker links" or "Lasker's private course."

As I said: a typo.

My bad, I didn't see the letters reversed. That was a transcription error on my part. I should have been more careful copying the article before typing it. Or should have I have been more careful typing after transcribing it. Whatever. Mill Road Farm was the name of the estate.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:49:55 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
Tom Macwood...

Let me see if I got this straight...ever since that In My Opinion piece was published, which as you have admitted is a total lie/fabrication, you've been deliberately misleading this entire website.  Is that correct?

In light of this, why would anyone ever read one of your posts again?  Or were you actually telling the truth then and simply lying now?

You sound hurt. Yes, I deliberately misled this group, and misleading this group is not easy, especially over a seven or eight year period when it was originally designed to fool for a week or two. Is that an impressive accomplishment or a disgrace or both, everyone will have to make up their own mind. I'm sure some will never read my posts again, and others may actually have more respect. I knew it would be controversial when I conceived the idea, and some would react negatively, and I was prepared to accept the consequences.

Ed Oden

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »
Tom, assuming you are being truthful now and that this thread isn't an April Fools joke, then I think you have made a serious mistake.  I will likely continue to read your posts.  But I doubt I will ever view them the same way again.  Going forward, there will always be doubt as to whether your research is on the up and up.  Quite frankly, that probably holds true even if it turns out that this thread is the joke and the 1939 list is real.  And I will be far less receptive to cries that others are less than truthful or forthcoming.  I would have thought that there are few (if any) things more important to someone claiming to be a serious historical researcher than credibility.  Once damaged, it is not easily restored.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:18:23 PM by Ed Oden »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »
FYI...a disclaimer has been added to that piece alerting the reader that it is fiction.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
Tom:

I am saddened by this almost unbelievable development.  What a sham.  I, for one, don't believe that simply placing a disclaimer on the piece is adequate.  Lying and fraudulent research must be condemned as such.  Period.  I don't care in the least how much research went into the lie. 

Your lie discredits you, this website, the people who care about golf course architecture and the many people who quoted your "research" as fact.

“Liars begin by imposing upon others, but end deceiving themselves”.

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back