News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

THM - Alps Final Four - NGLA 3rd vs Rye 13th
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:14 AM »
You have till Fri EOD to vote!

Seed #2 - NGLA 3rd

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 426 yards

Why: From Ran – “Macdonald’s homage to the Alps at Prestwick is an improvement on the original as the drive holds more interest. The approach over the top of a fescue covered hill is one where it is difficult for the golfer not to look up and sneek a peek before he has completed the downswing. The35 yardwide (!) green has some twenty yards of fairway in front of it, just enough room and margin of error for a long approach. The vast green is fiercely contoured and four putts can occur. The author considers the approach the game’s finest blind shot.”

Richard Choi

Re: THM - Alps Final Four - NGLA 3rd vs Rye 13th
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »
Seed #3 - Rye 13th

Tale of the tape: Par 4, 435 yards

Why: From Ran - The Sea Hole rivals the 3rd hole at National Golf Links of America and the original one at Prestwick as the finest Alps hole with which the authors are familiar. Fittingly enough, there are no bunkers around this hidden green.

Best Comments:

The Rye version looks terrific; I think the diagonal adds to the uncertainty inherent in any Alps hole. It also has a touch of genius in the routing -- the aerial suggests a more conventional routing could've been used, but taking the hole up and over the dune to the parallel valley strikes me as superior design work.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »
I loved the hole at Rye (where Bob Jenkins almost killed me and Mike Malone!), but NGLA is the mack daddy and must be respected.

NGLA

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »
While the 13th at Rye is a great hole, I think an Alps hole should have a bunker between the hill and the green. Thus, I vote for NGLA.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
I don't know which is better and I have not seen NGLA's Alps, but I will take that over Rye's. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:37:10 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:18:25 AM »
Having seen both - NGLA for me - more interest off the drive and approach and a much better green.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »
I like the Rye version more than Sean does but NGLA looks a step up.  NGLA.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »
I have to go with NGLA.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
7-0 NGLA so far. Voting ends today!

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
NGLA trounces Rye, setting up an epic battle between the #1 and #2 seeds.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back