News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Goodwin

Re: May's Feature Interview with Jeff Brauer is posted
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 06:04:50 PM »
Like others who've posted, I would like to play some of Jeff's courses.  The pictures are spectacular.  The one course that I have played is the Avocet at Wild Wing in Myrtle Beach.  When I used to make an annual trip down there, we always included that course -- it was a fave with everybody.   There are a couple of strange looking holes where the shaping is as jagged as a little mountain range, but there's a terrific mix of holes, with Cadillac par 4's and a couple of memorable 5's.   
And I'd like to add that it's fun and stimulating to talk to Jeff about design.  I've only had one conversation, at Bandon Dunes, but his take on things is sharp and witty and delivered with a lot of humor.   From what I saw at Avocet and from the pictures, it looks as though some of that humor makes its way into his courses -- and that's a welcome thing.

Shane Wright

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
Pat,

Glad it helps.  BTW, when I say the Wilderness was right in between the two GR courses in design philosophy, I remember the client telling me the design program was to place the Wilderness "right in between the two GR courses in design  difficulty."  They felt the first course was too easy, and the Quarry was too tough and they would be best served in the middle, which I think we accomplished. 

Of the three courses, I get feedback that the Wilderness is the most popular with average players by a smidge, maybe 50-40-10 for each course being the favorite.  That said, I believe GR gets slightly more play, perhaps by virtue of being slightly closer to the Twin Cities, its higher ranking, or maybe the ability to stay overnight once and play two courses.

Jeff,

I would agree with you 100% that the Wilderness is in the middle of the three in terms of difficulty.  While I love the Wilderness, in my opinion, the Quarry is far superior.  The Quarry is that good. Yes, it is definitely difficult but I have never heard a single person say they wouldn't be making a 2nd or 3rd trip back to GR because of the Quarry's difficulty.  It is just too good to miss.

Shane

P.S. I have not read the interview yet, but thanks to Ran for doing it.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
I'm a fan of Jeff based on what he's done for the city of Lincoln, Nebraska alone. I am quite familiar with Woodland Hills and Highlands there, and I also have a longtime affinity for Pioneers muni, where I worked in college. I only found out years later that the renovations that were done there was his handiwork. I also am familiar with Lake Arrowhead in Wisconsin, where my brother played in the Wisconsin state high school tournament.

Since I have come to GCA I've enjoyed reading his posts a heck of a lot. One of the things I really like about Jeff is that he takes the Devil's advocate on many positions. There are times where I feel this site tends to conform to the same points of view. It is not to say I completely agree or disagree with those opinions, but I do wish this site had more diverse opinions sometimes.

I fall within Jeff's demographic perfectly. I consider myself a good amateur player, but I don't have the money, the resources, or the connections to be getting on the world's great private clubs or to be travelling to remote destination resorts. Someone like me can only spend 150 bucks on a round of golf maybe once a year.

Jeff's specialty is building playgrounds for the rest of us. I do feel like I am getting good value from one of his courses.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:22:14 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »
Jeff:

I really enjoyed the interview and really appreciate having your perspective on issues we discuss. 

I also like it that you included a picture of the 6th at Giant's Ridge Quarry.  As we have discussed in the past, it is one of my favorites on the course because it is so unique- the tee shot looks very difficult but is not overly taxing.  The approach looks relatively begnign but is quite challenging.

Am I going senile or is the bear claw picture reversed?  I remember it as a dogleg left.

Also - the tee shots on 1 and 10 of the Legend's course at Giant's Ridge are intimidating and memorable.  Could you discuss the decision to make those shots over a canyon right out of the gate?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
Jason,

Yes the footprint is reversed in the interview.

Tony, I have some time on the plane today, if I don't sleep and will comment on some of those NB projects, more because I have been slowly trying to write my own remembrances of all my projects just in case someone cares at some point. When I get them done, I will post those here.

Thanks for all the comments.  I certainly enjoyed doing the interview, and its an honor to be considered.  Yes, probably went out of my way a bit to discuss formular - or design for players and not the land - to an extent that would perhaps drive controversy here.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
I'm currently on the road and only checking in every once in awhile, and, therefore, haven't read the interview yet.  But I had to log in and say that of all the posts I've cut and pasted into my Word files in order to save and re-read from time to time, Jeff is the author of the bulk of those posts.  His knowledge is vast and his willingness to share is at the high end of the spectrum.  He is a real resource to this site. 

Of course, that is when he isn't being a dick or a goob!!!   :)

Examples please?

And none of your beating around the bush!

Joe Grasty

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:20 PM »
Jeff:

Since I live in Dallas, I get to play a lot of your courses.  I pretty much judge a course mainly on how much fun I have, and your courses are always fun.  Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Joey

David Harshbarger

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »
Have not been to the Dunes club, as that was after I left.  Tim could answer your questions.

As to under rated courses, I always love Sand Creek in Chesterton. It had that old time feel to it.  Smaller scale than Kemper Lakes (Ken's influence, I think)  Of course, I liked Lake Arrowhead up in Nekoosa, WI, having lived there to build it for them.  I still regret altering some sand dunes for better green vision on 5!

What really killed me about the "formulas" Dick had was when an agromist I worked with showed me a set of William Mitchell formulas that were nearly the same for green size, opening width, etc.  And, talking with Damian Pascuzzo, Bob Graves had some very similar ones too.  Dick always said the trick was to know when to break them, but not to break them too often or pretty soon you get an unplayable golf course. 

We can see that with the number of, say JN courses that have more than a few greens angled sharply with forced carries.  On the other hand, we an see the 50-70's era guys maybe got too attached to the formulas for playability.  I try to strike the happy balance, of course, but whether I make it is up for others to decide.

BTW, the quarry breaks my design mold more than any other course.

Jeff, based on the William Mitchell courses I've played, they seem to have come up with some good formulas as they are quite fun courses.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back