News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

There's been a lot of discussion about Tom Fazio here lately, especially in the context of the publication rankings.  Tom has a slew of courses ranked in the respective top 100's, including 1/4 of the Golfweek Modern list. Alotian Club just debuted #14 on Golf Digest's list.

Golfweek Modern:
11. Shadow Creek Golf Club
19. Wade Hampton Club
22. Gozzer Ranch Golf Club
23. *Mountaintop Golf & Lake Club
24. *Shooting Star Golf Club
27. Galloway National Golf Club
34. Dallas National Golf Club
43. World Woods (Pine Barrens)
44. *Diamond Creek Golf Club
45. Fallen Oak Golf Club
50. *Martis Camp Club
51. Pronghorn (Fazio)
53. Karsten Creek Golf Club
55. Black Diamond Ranch (Quarry)
57. Sea Island Golf Club (Seaside) (2000 reno)
59. *Spring Hill Golf Club
61. The Preserve
62. Quail Hollow Club
63. Butler National Golf Club
65. Trump National Golf Club (Old)
69. Estancia
76. Victoria National Golf Club
80. Briggs Ranch Golf Club
90. Jupiter Hills Club (Hills)
92. Whisper Rock (Upper)

Fazio's calling card seems to be consistent quality courses that generally look nice and have everything laid out in front of you.  Instead of debating the pros and cons of this design approach, let's focus on highlighting some of the standout holes of Tom's that you've played.

I've only played one of the aforementioned courses, but I can point to the 4th hole at World Woods Pine Barrens as one example.  Risk-reward on both the tee shot and approach shot, on one of my favorite (and best value) public destinations.

Approach shot:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:45:49 PM by Jim Colton »

Kalen Braley

Re: Tom Fazio Appreciation Thread - Post Your Favorite Faz Holes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
Goozer Ranch - 12th Hole - Par 4  - Fantastic risk reward short hole!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
My vote is for the second hole at Galloway.  It's a great test early on in the round that has the visual interest and multiple tee angles.  A very neat little par 3 overall! 

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
My vote is for the second hole at Galloway.  It's a great test early on in the round that has the visual interest and multiple tee angles.  A very neat little par 3 overall! 

Mark

Here's the hole Mark is referring to, from their website:

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
What's a risk reward hole?

Oh Yeah, My favorite Par 3 of the Faz is the last one at Victoria National.

Have not seen enough to opine with any authority. But the par 5 3rd (? ) at the Preserve is stout. As is the 4th at Pine Barrons.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:56:12 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
15th hole at Spring Hill in Minnesota

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »
What's a risk reward hole?

Oh Yeah, My favorite Par 3 of the Faz is the last one at Victoria National.

Have not seen enough to opine with any authority. But the par 5 3rd (? ) at the Preserve is stout. As is the 4th at Pine Barrons.

Here's a picture of the last par 3 at VN (hole 16).  FWIW, Victoria is my favorite of the four TF designs I've played on the GW list (the others are Shadow Creek, World Woods and Black Diamond).  I've also included a couple more holes I liked at Victoria, the par 4 2nd and the par 5 15th (probably my favorite hole on the course...the pictures don't do it justice).

VN 16

VN 2

VN 15 Tee

VN 15 Lay-up/Green

Mark

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »
How about a true "cape" hole at Trump National (6th)?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »
#5 at Turning Stone Atunyote...besides the fact that I eagled it with a bump-and-run third shot is the fact that I WAS ABLE TO EAGLE IT with a bump and run third shot.  Here's a link:  http://turningstone.com/golf/atunyotehole05.php

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:15:50 PM by Ronald Tricks O'Hooligan Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
I have only played 5 fazio courses, but a couple of my favorite holes are;

#8 at Aldarra, a fantastic dogleg left par 4 that requires a good line of the tee on how much you want to bite off, and then the approach to a contoured green, with three sections.   A great looking golf hole with good strategy.

The other one I liked a lot was Montesoro #6, which is a par 5.  The green is tucked behind a steep bunker in a little bowl.  With shaved banks around the left, you can fire a big three wood to the left and have it run to down to the green almost like a punchbowl.  A real fun shot to try and pull off.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
The 6th, 8th, 10th and 15th at Victoria because I birdied them today. Off to buy dinner at Como.

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
No doubt, Galloway National 1, 2, 13, 15, 18 ---- Also, I'm a sucker for 17 because it's just really pretty...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »
The 6th, 8th, 10th and 15th at Victoria because I birdied them today. Off to buy dinner at Como.

Have a bite of the Arabian Salad for me JK.  Well done!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
I liked Butler as a whole, but can't think of any hole that I would nominate here.  . . . .

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of the 7th at the National in Canada.

It's a tough as nails par four - and one of the best in the country.
It's set over excellent terrain featuring a great twist in the landing that makes it a tough driving hole.
If you get past the 80's look of the green and bunkers - it's just a great hole.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
I'm a big fan of the 7th at the National in Canada.

It's a tough as nails par four - and one of the best in the country.
It's set over excellent terrain featuring a great twist in the landing that makes it a tough driving hole.
If you get past the 80's look of the green and bunkers - it's just a great hole.

Ian,

I agree, 7 at the National is a great hole, but number 3 is probably my favorite (I'm sure that I'm in a minority as listing this as my favorite hole).  I really like 11 too.

My only issue with the National (and don't get me wrong, I think it is a very good golf course), is that many of the holes are hard just for the sake of being hard. 

Actually, for those have played the course, I would love to know your opinion of the course.

Mark
Mark

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
I liked Butler as a whole, but can't think of any hole that I would nominate here.  . . . .

I'm with you here.  It's probably because all the holes are too difficult!

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »
Cool thread idea, Jim. Seeing soem holes we don't get much chat about on here.

All: Which is the best/most intersting Fazio course within daytrip distance (2hr drive each way, but preferably less) of NYC?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »
Seeing soem holes we don't get much chat about on here.

Is that a sign that Fazio golf holes are underrated, or a sign that we have to dig pretty deep to find good ones?

JR Potts

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »
Maybe Terry Lavin or some of you Alabamans can help me but there is a Par4 on the back-side of Old Overton that runs along a creek and has a tree in the fairway that I thought was outstanding.  I want to say it's the 11th hole or 16th hole but I'm not so sure.

Plus, I can't find the Old Overton website to confirm/deny the hole.  Anyway, I thought Old Overston was a fun golf course....even if it feels very similar to Pinehurst #8, Galloway National and Shadow Creek.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
Answer to Tom Doak:  Yes
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
Number 7 at Galloway National. A shortish par 4 with a very strategic tree on the left, one of his best holes.
Number 17 is visually deceptive par three.
I love the beauty of 17 at Shadow creek.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
Jim, I believe Shadow Creek debuted higher than Alotian. I want to say it was 8th or 9th.

I've not played a lot of Fazio courses; when I had no money, they were too expensive. By the time I made enough money to play them, I didn't want to. Perhaps the latter is a function of his work in coastal Southern CA being crap.

Shadow, as a golf course seems to get worse every time I play it. Played it last week, and it has really been taken down a notch after the latest "renovation".

Regards specific holes, I always liked WW #4 & #15 (par 5, late on the back 9, might be 14), Shadow #3, #15. Also, that short par 4 on the front 9 at WW with the green elevated in a sea of sand was quite good. It's been so long I cannot remember the hole number.

Note that Shadow #3 has been completely obliterated.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 11:45:15 PM »
The 9th at Diamond Creek (although it should be 18).

The 16th at The Virginian.

Bart

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 11:49:01 PM »
Jim

Shadow, as a golf course seems to get worse every time I play it. Played it last week, and it has really been taken down a notch after the latest "renovation".

Jim,

I have to agree.  I have never quite understood the fanfare that Shadow Creek receives.  For me, one of the thing I was most looking forward to was driving through the middle of the desert to arrive at an oasis of green (as per the famous aerial photo of SC)...only to drive through an area of homes and fast food restaurants before arriving at the course.

I normally have a fairly good memory for golf holes I've played, but I have to say, other than a few holes at SC I can't remember the golf course at all.  There was not that much that was memorable.  If the course did not have the history it does (being created in the middle of the desert by Steve Wynn) I can't imagine it making any 'best of' lists.  I also think there is some sort of bias to 'like' SC because it is $500 to play... most people won't admit that they got 'ripped off'.

Just my opinion,

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back