News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Need help -- best of England's SE and SW areas ...
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 02:04:24 PM »
Mark

Yes, it does seem to make more sense to group courses and accept that personal preference may make one course win out over another, but still be considered of the same general quality.  Thats probably why I have such a tight grouping.  Its easy to say I prefer A over B, but much harder to say B is better than C.  

Wayne

Yes, there are good courses down nearer the coast, but they don't merit going well out of the way (the roads near the coast are terrible) to play over the many greats closer to London. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:06:55 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
I will be visiting these two areas of England sometime later this summer -- probably right after The Open Championship concludes.

Wanted to get from those who know from firsthand experience -- their personal top five courses from each area of England.

I imagine places like Royal St. George's, Rye, Deal and St Enodoc will be mentioned. If those who share the info can break it down by order of emphasis for each area from 1-5.

One other thing - since I will be traveling via from one area other -- be curious to a course that uis relatively halfway between Kent and Bristol.

Many thanks ...
Matt, where are you staying are you basing yourself anywhere?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »
Adrian:

I will be flying in / out of Bristol and going from there.

My wife and I have some good friends in Cardiff and will spend a day or so (non-golf there). Then the adventure begins in earnest.

From what I have heard there are only three (3) worthy courses in the Southeast -- RSG, Deal and Rye.

In the SW area I read about Westward Ho!, St. Enodoc, Burnham & Berrow, Saunton East. I read Doak's comments on Purbeck so I may add that one.

The consensus I am receving is to stop and play a few of the major ones that are halfway between Bristol and the Southeast coast.

Happy to have company from whoever is around -- thanks to those who have messaged me thus far about playing and being of general assistance.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
Matt - I am based in Bristol and you have can have courtesy of The Players Club whilst you are in Bristol if you have a spare day, we are 30 minutes from Painswick as well and we have accomadation half way in between, I cant do that for free but I can do it fairly cheap but you might want to get a bit further South, Burnham is 1 hour away, the Surrey heathlands 1.5 hours, Saunton is just over 2 hours, Kent is probably 4 hours so you need a rebase.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Ash Towe

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
Wayne,

Around Bournemouth, Parkstone and Ferdown are worth a look.

There is a new course in the New Forest, whose name I cannot recall that is well regarded but I have not played.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »
Gents:

If push comes to shove and only five courses can be played in EITHER the se or sw -- which ones makes the grade ? No more than three from one area please.

thanks,

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
The best three in the SW are St Enodoc, Saunton and Burnham and Berrow.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
If only 5 then RSG, Deal, Swinley Forest (or Sunningdale or Walton Heath or the Berkshire), Burnham and St Enodoc (trusting Sean's ranking of it here).

By the way, Matt, there are more than 3 "worthy" courses in the SE but the top three are the ones you mentioned.  That doesn't mean that Littlestone or Princes should be dismissed as unworthy.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Craig Disher

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »
I can only comment on the SE. If travel time is a concern - it always is for me - and you want to see 3 courses, head for Deal and play Deal, RStG, and Princes. I prefer Rye to Princes but it's a long drive and can be much longer depending on time of day and luck. Rye and Littlestone are very near each other so playing that pair would also be convenient.  I think RStG shouldn't be missed but the other courses (and clubs!) have much to offer as well.

With full disclosure (I've been a member for many years), I will point out that there have been changes at Littlestone since most of those on this site have played there - all for the better and gradually erasing some of the mistakes of the 70s and 80s. I also don't believe anyone has played from the Championship tees which create a lot of extra length and interesting angles of play. Admittedly, the site doesn't have the extraordinary topography of Deal and RStG but it has a lot of space and Purves did well in taking advantage of the features that were there. MacKenzie's improvements are themselves worth a visit.

All four courses will be hosting final qualifying rounds for the Open this year so they should be in terrific condition.

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:50 PM »
Gents:

If push comes to shove and only five courses can be played in EITHER the se or sw -- which ones makes the grade ? No more than three from one area please.

thanks,

St Enodoc
Burnham
Sandwich
Deal
Rye

But this is one heck of a lot of driving to pick up one course.  I would be inclined to say skip St Enodoc and the rest of Devon/Cornwall.  Concentrate on Sandwich, Deal, Rye, Princes and Litttlestone as these are all fine courses.  If Littlestone doesn't appeal then maybe pick up Burnham as its close to Bristol Airport.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:55:51 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
Chappers here replying on Scott's log in as I'm heading back to the UK today. There is some pretty good golf on the south coast between Rye and Bristol however the roads are slow going, not scenic and very busy. It makes sense to head back to M25 take in a heath and head out on the M4 to Bristol. When all is said and done Rye is a wonderful place to experience golf how it was played in the UK 100 years ago, yes it's quirky and #11 is one of the planets poorest holes but Rye is a delight.

Ps if you prefer 5 hour rounds, 3/4 ball, short socks, no jacket and tie, juicy burgers, iced tea & sumptuous showers Rye is best avoided

Matt_Ward

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 08:43:29 PM »
Scott:

I get the six hour round routine at Bethpage and other NYC area courses -- glad to see the pace of play is that much better.

Sean:

I need to be in the SW so I will be playing a few courses there -- St. Enodoc is a must. Maybe a few can weigh in on Purbeck. I remember Doak's comments were quite favorable with a 6 rating.

Mark:

I will heed your advice -- likely add another one, maybe two other SE courses if time permits.

Gents:

I will also try to take advantage of some of the heathland courses between Bristol and London.

Scott Warren

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
Just to clarify - the post at the top of this page was by Mark Chaplin, posting from my home computer (he has been staying with me) using my account as he can't remember the login details for his.

Matt,

Flying in and out of Bristol and with your wife in tow, there's something to be said for not going to the Kent/Sussex coast and enjoying the Atlantic links and some heathland courses as well with the time/rounds you have.

Have you played golf in England before? If so what have you already played?

If this is the first (and maybe only) trip, then I think visiting the south-east is worth the time.

Of course as a confessed Deal homer I think the place is incredible and should be seen, but I also realise Bristol to Deal/Sandwich is a long way.

Mike W: Swinley is right near Sunningdale and Wentworth, a few miles north of Woking and its neighbours.

My reason for recommending West Sussex is that Matt wanted one course in the middle. If you journey into the London area, choosing a course - just one course - becomes one of the most maddening dilemmas known to man!

Considering your arrival and departure from Bristol, Matt, and your comment above, I'd say:

Arrive Bristol, play Burnham & Berrow and St Enodoc. (2-3 days inc some sightseeing)

Drive east, playing West Sussex en route to Rye, make a day of Rye, playing 36, including the jacket and tie lunch which is worth the effort for the experience. Rye has plenty of holes you'll be glad you saw twice, because they'll have made little sense the first time around. (2 days)

Play Deal and Sandwich (2 days - with all the Deal members on here you should manage 36 quite cheap holes with ease and Sandwich - if you can get on post-Open - is worth a day).

Return to Bristol via the heathlands, playing one course the afternoon of the day you leave Kent and another coursethe next morning before driving back to Bristol. Which heathland courses? I'd recommend Woking (great twilight deal you can make use of playing the afternoon you arrive in London area from Kent) and as a nice bit of variety from the many parkland/heathland courses with a similar character to Woking in that area I'd recommend you go with Walton Heath (Old) as your other - which is also handy to the M25 for you to get moving post-round and return to Bristol. (2 days)

So that's an 8-9 day trip hitting a bunch of different spots and not doubling back through areas you've already seen.

In the south west there is Padstow (near St Enodoc) as a great town to see, Rye is a lovely town, check out the White Cliffs of Dover on the way from Rye to Deal, visit Canterbury while around Deal/Sandwich, maybe swing by Stonehenge and Salisbury on the drive back to Bristol from London...

What's not to love about that?!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
Scott, Deal to Burnham & Berrow was 4 hrs 20 min last September. A trek but doable.

Flying into and out of Bristol might lead me to think of SW England and the Hoylake-Formby nexus.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
Deal, Sandwich and Rye in the SE.

West Sussex in the middle to keep you well away from London traffic.

Burnham and St Enodoc in the SW.

I'm barring up a little bit just thinking about it!

Where's Swinley?

Just to the south of Ascot, of course.

I thought you would know that one, Mike!  ;)

I meant... where is Swinley in Scott's suggestion list... it is his favorite course. I didn't understand why he did not recommend it.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »
Just to clarify - the post at the top of this page was by Mark Chaplin, posting from my home computer (he has been staying with me) using my account as he can't remember the login details for his.

So, Chappers is bumming accommodations from the newly weds? I hope he is buying you dinner every night.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott Warren

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »
He was the perfect guest. Took us out last night to the same place we went with you, John, Kyle and Patrick!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 02:31:19 AM »
Scott, et al:

I'll ask this again -- if a top ten of ALL ENGLAND COURSES was done -- would RSG and Deal make that listing ?

Scott:

I've been to England on two different occasions previously -- played the courses in and around Liverpool and Manchester. All of the key names there. The other two was for a much shorter time frame and played Sunningdale and a few others in and around that area.

I am really interested in seeing the contrast between the SW and SE areas of England. No doubt I thank so many of you for recommending other couses situated halfway between those areas.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 02:36:34 AM »
Wayne,

Around Bournemouth, Parkstone and Ferdown are worth a look.

There is a new course in the New Forest, whose name I cannot recall that is well regarded but I have not played.

I think you mean Remedy Oak. Interesting place; wonderful piece of property, hard to imagine a better inland site has been developed in England since the war (maybe Woburn). Course is worth a play, but it's not as good as it should have been.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Scott Warren

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:24 AM »
There is a great contrast between the two areas, Matt. It should be a fun exercise.

Top ten in England? I haven't played all of the contenders, but on the strength of what I have played, RSG definitely is and Deal would be on the cutoff.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 05:26:31 AM »
Matt,

What are your dates? If I am around I will gladly host you for a game, maybe we could get another couple of available people to join as well if they want.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
I'm sure there' d be a queue looking for a game with Mr Ward.

Matt, you should think very seriously about taking Tom up on his offer.  You should also take up Sean and James on the offer of a game at B&B.  I'd love to make up that 4!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
Deal and Sandwich are a given, then one of the heathlands (Hankley is underated!) on the way --- but if you go up to Burnham or towards Bristol, Royal Porhcawl is a must. Pennard and Southerndown are nice additions. Depending on the time of the day, M4 is dull, but moves...

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
Given Matt's first post says he's probably visiting right after the Open, you have to figure Sandwich is going to be a tough ask.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Craig Disher

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Given Matt's first post says he's probably visiting right after the Open, you have to figure Sandwich is going to be a tough ask.

Good point. All the clubs are already taking reservations for tee times around the Open and with increased demand from the members there might not be a lot of available slots. Rye is a 2-ball club and Deal only accepts 4-balls on certain days - although this may be relaxed during July. Bottom line - reserve early.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back