News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Old White Course joins TPC Network
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
I was just reading http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/mar/25/old-white-course-joins-tpc-network/ about Old White joining the TPC Network. 

What really interested me was this quote: "After Stuart Appleby shot a final-round 59 to win the inaugural Greenbrier Classic, all 18 greens were stripped and reseeded for this year’s event, which will be played July 28-31."

Why are they reseeding the greens?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tim Gavrich

Re: Old White Course joins TPC Network
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Paul--

I believe they had initially sodded those greens and were dissatisfied with how soft they ended up playing last year.  So they seeded the greens immediately so that they'll be ready for this year's event.  There is also some other work going on out there, from what I could tell when I was there a couple weeks ago.  It looks like the grass is coming in nicely on the greens.  We'll see how much difference in scoring it makes in the tournament.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
Thanks for the information.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong here (and it is possible), but the idea of an ODG TPC just seems odd.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »
So, what exactly does having the TPC in front of the name mean?  Does Greenbrier expect this to attract more resort visitors?  Does it mean they will make TPC-esque changes (whatever that means, viewer mounding maybe?) or any changes?  I can't seem to see the significance of this move.

Mark

Anton

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Oh boy.  Augusta National style makeover is gonna happen now so that no one goes low again. 

Isnt the TPC just the managing body of the course (like Troon Golf)?  I don't think they purchased any ownership in the resort facility.  We have a TPC club here in Jersey (Jasna Polana) and its just the management end that TPC takes care of.  Plus a little added publicity. 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »
Paul there was a thread about this last week, your boys on Tigerdroppings would say this topic is Germans.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:09 AM »
Jim Justice is no friend of GCA.
H.P.S.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »
interesting.

Here's the thing though.  Old White is not the hardest course within the resort.  The Snead course is much harder and much better conditioned.  I believe I read a quote when Jim said that he wanted it at Old White because he wanted more birdies.

Apparently too many.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »
I was just reading http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/mar/25/old-white-course-joins-tpc-network/ about Old White joining the TPC Network. 

What really interested me was this quote: "After Stuart Appleby shot a final-round 59 to win the inaugural Greenbrier Classic, all 18 greens were stripped and reseeded for this year’s event, which will be played July 28-31."

Why are they reseeding the greens?

They're gonna flatten them out
eveidently there were a couple of two-putts(which seems unfair on a perfect putt :P) during the 59.
They'll be really fast though ;) ;)

gotta love the emoticons working again ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
The TPC network was Deane Beman's idea to build stadium style golf courses for use by the PGA Tour.  Most of them were built with a touring pro as a consultant and they included Avenel in Maryland and Sawgrass in Florida.  The pros hated many of the courses including Avenel, the two courses in south Florida and Jasna Polana in New Jersey.  It has now evolved into a cooperative marketing arrangement where members of one TPC course can play another one on a reciprocal basis usually with a reduced green fee.  I would guess that the Greenbrier found this attractive as there probably is some type of arrangement with the TPC course members which includes some private clubs.  I understand that the clubs being managed by the Troon organization also have some type of reciprocal arrangements.   

Anton

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »
Troon does have a playing program for members at each facility.  Empire Golf here in the NE was a network that tried to take off but has burned out a little recently.  Trump is running his own network.  It is a lucrative business decision to have a larger outfit manage your facility.  Some private clubs around here are turning that way to help boost play and cut some internal costs.  If only Pine Valley + Cypress would join a network.  HAHAHA! 
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back