News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: July 1-3 Outing at Dismal River
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »
Scott, The first two 18 holes were scored as match play against your opposing team. However, they were nine hole matches. So, each hole won was a point and each hole halved was half a point. Due to some logistics, the last day we had to alter the method, so, we played match play against Old Man Par. If your team netted a birdie you got a full point. If you netted par it was half a point. Chris' right arm, Gregg, was the genius who figured out how to make the competition work, since some one, or two had to get back to civilization for the 4th of July.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric Smith

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »
Me and AC before departure

I miss Dismal. What is it that I miss? Well, I wish I was standing on the 1st tee with loads of confidence that this time it's going to be different and I'm going to hit that same drive I hit in the practice round of the 5th Major. Big hitter, the Lama - long. Is it putting from 100 yards out during a match and laughing at the results afterwards until I almost passed out? Maybe, I did that several times, with mixed results. Drank lots of water from a can. No, in my mind it is the visit and all that you experienced, all that you absorbed, all that you shared with others, while there. It is the people who were at Dismal with you that makes the memory. I'm certain that I would enjoy a solo sojourn to that otherworldy river valley setting and I may do just that in a few weeks. But it is the people of your last visit that binds all of the experiences together and makes it what it is. Golf and friends. And those friends are more than simply those you played golf with. It's everyone out there and that is one of the main reasons the experience stays with you. At least it is for me, anyway. I met 4 members this time around. Again - great people and wouldn't you know, one of them is getting his name etched on the trophy this week along with our boy Saltzy.

This visit started with the 3 young men greeting us upon arrival. One, as professional as any class A 'inside' guy anywhere, was running the outside operations without a hitch while keeping it light and fun. He won't tell you, but I will - he owns the course record. A 62. Hello! His assistants were two of the finest kids I've ever met. I don't mean to call a soon-to-be junior in college a kid [It's only because I know his dad that I call him that], but this young man brings the energy and enthusiasm that all of us middle aged dudes wish we still had! I am certain he could be the finest caddy in the sand hills, but I'm guessing he has another calling and his future is beyond bright. His little brother - the Task Master was, time and time again, always a step ahead of his old man. The Ranger filled before anyone ever had to ask. Again, great kid.

Another caddy, again, great guy went above and beyond in his duties on the course.

Cool Hand
In my former life, I spent 13 years working in and out of golf shops and have known a lot of really good golf professionals. Know this - Cool Hand Luke Dennis is alive and well in the sand hills of Nebraska! We have the best DOG on the planet out at Dismal. The guy makes it all look so easy, and of course it is (I should know). Just kidding. A little.

What else...OK, who doesn't miss those big genuine smiles of our friend from Iowa? How 'bout the big red head's enlightening campfire poker stories?  That hawkish stare that Saltzy's always giving the waitresses late at night.  Hogan's Dead show flashback: "I partied with him at Red Rocks 20 years ago!" I could go on and on. All of us know what it was like. There is only one thing left to do. Go back and do it all over again - next year.

My proposal, with the blessing from the rest of the membership: we have 78 beds at Dismal - I'd like to see a heckuva big GCA type group fill this thing out and make 2012 the biggest 5th Major ever! Like Adam said earlier, it'll still be 4th of July weekend so the 5th on the 4th or something like that.

Last, but not least - a few words about the man behind the resurgence at Dismal River Golf Club. If there ever was a guy I want to have as my head coach, a guy I would die to play for, it is Chris Johnston. To me, he is a larger than life version of Sam Rutigliano. When people go to Dismal, they'll no doubt get to know Chris. He'll likely be checking you in, helping fix the wifi in your cabin or tending bar after your round, though he's a little slow in getting you your drink (talking too much). He brings more to the table than just the pork chop with his name on it. He brings the zest - the life - the soul, call it what you want. When we left yesterday, I told JNC and Whit in the car as we were driving down the wrong 20 mile sand road that I already missed Chris.

I also miss our battles on the links. His driver is way cool, btw.

I have a bunch more pictures of the action at the 5th Major. Not so much photos of bunkers and fairways, but plenty of the inside of Jack's Shack, the people in the bar and other goings on at Dismal last weekend. (and a memorable legendary night a the Turtle Bar at Ballyneal with young Mr. Lyon and Mr. Whitaker.) I'll post them tonight.

What a time we had, Many thanks to everyone who made the journey.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
Sounds like you guys had an awesome time.  Love the pic with Eric and Adam.  Two great GCAers. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »
Eric, John and I had a great start to our Dismal River holiday as we encountered some of the locals on the back road to the club!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVRLFqELHXs&feature=player_profilepage
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »
Wow, with all that lush grassland this year, you'd think we'd see some drop in prices of beef in fall.  Skip the corn fattening e-coli soaked feedlot and get them grassland fed beauties straight to market!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JC Jones

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2011, 03:52:19 PM »
Wow, with all that lush grassland this year, you'd think we'd see some drop in prices of beef in fall.  Skip the corn fattening e-coli soaked feedlot and get them grassland fed beauties straight to market!

Would help with the soil erosion and the flooding in the midwest too. 

Had a grassfed burger the other night; once you go grass you never go back.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
Those feed lots are, for lack of a better word - dismal. We drove past a couple of them along the interstate. Worst smell in the world.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
Those feed lots are, for lack of a better word - dismal. We drove past a couple of them along the interstate. Worst smell in the world.

+1  I drove by one of those in the california interior years ago.  The sight and smell were utterly sickening... didn't eat beef for a month after that!!

JC Jones

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Interestingly, if you account for the land required to grow the corn to feed the cows, the factory beef farms actually take up MORE land to supply the same amount of beef as pasture/grassfed farms.  They also concentrate the waste so while manure is great for regenerating top soil (and conversely farming the same land over and over with corn erodes the top soil), the quantity and amount of manure generated by the factory beef farms is toxic and harmful to the surrounding water (above and below ground).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2011, 05:33:01 PM »
From the little I read about it, the factory feedlot operations that are feeding the cattle the unnatural corn that is said to produce the e-coli in the first stomach because the animal is not suited to digest corn well -and that is where the bacteria forms, can still be cleansed after feeding on corn to work out the e-coli from the system in a mere 5 days of redirecting them back to grass forage, but the industry thinks they loose too much money putting that step in the process, and loss of a few pounds on the hoof that the animal sheds in those few days of reintroduction to grass after corn in order for the animal to cleanse. 

Sorry for the hijack, but in fact you can't really have a full cattle country grazing prairie experience without some discussion of cowagraphy politics and economics.  ;D 8) ::)

BTW, be careful what you write, because you can get sued by the meat processors on allegations of disparaging them if you express these opinions on your beliefs.  :P
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
From the little I read about it, the factory feedlot operations that are feeding the cattle the unnatural corn that is said to produce the e-coli in the first stomach because the animal is not suited to digest corn well -and that is where the bacteria forms, can still be cleansed after feeding on corn to work out the e-coli from the system in a mere 5 days of redirecting them back to grass forage, but the industry thinks they loose too much money putting that step in the process, and loss of a few pounds on the hoof that the animal sheds in those few days of reintroduction to grass after corn in order for the animal to cleanse. 

Sorry for the hijack, but in fact you can't really have a full cattle country grazing prairie experience without some discussion of cowagraphy politics and economics.  ;D 8) ::)

BTW, be careful what you write, because you can get sued by the meat processors on allegations of disparaging them if you express these opinions on your beliefs.  :P

RJ is correct on all accounts.

Even Oprah got her azz sued off for having a show just talking about it.  How crazy is it that we live in a country where people can be sued just for talking about something with actual evidence/data.....

The Cattle lobby needs to be "roped and hog-tied"

Mike Hogan

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »
I don't have much more to add that almost everyone else has already said I really wanted to just say Thank You to Eric and to Chris for having the group out to Dismal. Your generousity is greatly appreciated. Chris you have a special place and should be proud.

The course and the club were both just awesome. But I was really blown away by the comaraderie and the relaxed friendly atmosphere at Dismal and within the GCA group of misfits.

I have so many memories, the Battle with Salzman, a Hole in one by my partner, Our caddy climbing a windmill,
someone asking witch flag to hit towards when there was only one flag on the green, and the caddy saying without missing a beat "The one one the Right". I had many awsome conversations with people I had just met Mac, Drew, Eric, Chris, Doug, Patron, Adam. 
I think I chatted with almost everyone and enjoyed every minute and never a dull moment. Thank you all and Thanks for putting up with my flashback to RED Rocks.

Someone else mentioned the club had soul and a good vibe and I couldn't agree more. I think that this is mainly due to the passion and determination that Chris has and has passed onto his staff. Top notch from the top on down. With the additions to the menu the potential of Dismal River is off the charts.
I can't wait until next year!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2011, 07:35:39 PM »
Eric, John and I had a great start to our Dismal River holiday as we encountered some of the locals on the back road to the club!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVRLFqELHXs&feature=player_profilepage

Traffic was brutal that day.  Unfortunately, we didn't get the buzzard collision on video from yesterday.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Chris Johnston

« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2011, 12:37:06 AM »
As to cattle - the feed lots fatten the cows and fat enhances the taste.  Before they are shipped there, cows out here are very lean, muscular in fact.  The best beef has marbling and marbling comes from feedlots.

I do wonder what would happen if they took the cows directly to the cornfield - would seem to eliminate a few steps and increase efficiency.

Than ks again to Eric.  Lets make the 5th Major a "GCA Major".  Mark your schedules!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2011, 01:03:03 AM »
From Tom Doaks alma mater:  http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/98/9.17.98/cattle_feeding.html    ;)

Chris, there is your opportunity to set a culinary trend with your chef and promote exclusive DR 'grass fed' local beef, processed in Mullen, without the feedlot corn marbling hazard.  The grass fed beef is more lean than chicken and more 'heart healthy'.  Those angus beauties seen on the video looked pretty darn plump on the lush pasture of this year to me.  Can I borrow one for a little while?   ;D

Chris Johnston

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2011, 01:50:18 AM »
RJD - grass only fed beef tastes like...well...grass.  I'm pro choice here, Sterling Silver Angus is the very best and its the only choice we offer!  We ship it to an aging house to enhance flavor.  Ever been to big chicken farm?  We also get our lamb from Lava Lake lamb in Idaho - the best. 

To all raters: you are welcome to come out to Dismal River, anytime, to see what the buzz is about.  GCAers too!  But, I agree you must be here a few days to really appreciate the course, shot values, and greens. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:45 AM »
As to cattle - the feed lots fatten the cows and fat enhances the taste. ...

And pray tell, what does it do to the arteries in your heart? ;)

Actually, it is my impression that fat mellows the taste. Grass fed beef is tastier in my experience.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Doug Siebert

« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2011, 04:03:03 AM »
I like grass fed beef too, it just has to be cooked a bit differently to bring out the taste.  It really wants to be prepared rare or medium rare, cooking it towards well done will dry it out too much (if you like well done steaks it is probably because you are eating steaks that are overly fatty in the first place, so you need to cook the hell out of it to break down all that fat)

Since grass fed beef mostly lacks its own fat, and will dry out if overcooked, if you do prefer it medium or medium well you could marinate it if grilling, or cook it in oil, like olive or truffle oil.  You also want to at lower temperatures - if you're grilling, use the topmost rack.  If its a thick cut you might cook it balanced on its side to start (if you can't balance it on its side then its not thick enough for this to matter)  Despite the lower temperature it'll actually require less cooking time to achieve the same internal temperature.  People who are used to cooking corn fed beef and cook by time rather than internal temperature will badly overcook grass fed beef, and it'll be dry and tasteless as a result.

Actually though I prefer bison to beef, and since bison were native to the sandhills region up until about 150 years ago, maybe it could go on the menu instead if Chris wants to keep his corn fed beef...after all, the bison is on the logo on same of the DR shirts :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark_F

« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2011, 04:59:17 AM »
As to cattle - the feed lots fatten the cows and fat enhances the taste. ...

And pray tell, what does it do to the arteries in your heart? ;)

You could try eating a smaller portion, as the heart-healthy French do, as opposed to the 600-800 gram servings all too common in the USA. :D

Adam Clayman

« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2011, 07:18:13 AM »
The rank odor is more from all the urine than the poop. As for beef prices, there should be a break once the first rancher has to pay the price for hay. But around here nobody rushes to market. They take care on the cost side and take what's given the day they get to market. Ogallala is either the oldest or biggest live auction mkt. When this golf runs its course I might just try and work there. Since I started in the cattle pit, I view it as pure symmetry. BTW, Bill Curtis (Kurtis?) Retired a in Kansas by buying a ranch with cows whose lineage dates to the Mayflower. He studied the grass v corn debate and concluded grass is where its at. Dogs too can't digest corn, so if you are feeding them food where corn is the main ingredient, your killing ytour dog thru malnutrition.  The area left of the 4th hole windmill took lots of re-working because the soil wasd so bad from all the cow pee. And pie, maybe? ;)

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Yellow fat was designed out of all the cattle. It turns out that yellow fat was so full of amino acids, it made it very healthy.

How appropriate you had Meatloaf on the stereo on the Tucker ranch road video
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:54:15 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2011, 09:37:05 AM »
How appropriate you had Meatloaf on the stereo on the Tucker ranch road video

I thought that was kind of cool, too!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Eric Smith

« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34:05 AM »

Would help with the soil erosion and the flooding in the midwest too. 

Had a grassfed burger the other night; once you go grass you never go back.

The beef in Argentina is the best I've ever had, and until recently all grass fed.  Sadly, I recently read that there are now a couple of American style feed lots.  However, I doubt the feed will be corn.   I have heard that are far more antibiotics used in agriculture than medicine.  L :P

JC Jones

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
Nothing beats the post-patron picture.

Eric Smith

« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
As to cattle - the feed lots fatten the cows and fat enhances the taste.  Before they are shipped there, cows out here are very lean, muscular in fact. 

There are some 200 head (400 including calves) roaming the property at Dismal River. Reminded me of being at Pennard, mixing golf and cattle together!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back