News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: July 1-3 Outing at Dismal River
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson Kansas is almost a must see on the drive out. That way you can see the progression of Prairie links from it's inception.

I'd recommend hooking up with a member though, as their unaccompanied rate is a bit distracting.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »
Eric: I may be in the area around that time - is it okay to come over one day and play a round with the guys? 

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
John,

Great to have you coming out to play in the major. See you on deck, Senator!

Jim,

Thanks. Lemme know when you're headed out that way...I'll be there in early August as well. Maybe we can meet up then.

Jerry,

Absolutely, come on over for the day...look forward to seeing you in July.

Another note: the two man event doesn't preclude individuals signing up to play. We'll pair any singles (you're going to be playing together anyway) and it'll be a fun weekend with a bit of a member guest flavor with the 9 hole matches on Saturday.  Everyone will have the opportunity to play with many different GCAers, which is always a ++ in my book.

Judging from the activity both Mac and I have been seeing, this outing turns out to be perfect timing for many of you as well. We're about 100 days out, so you still have time to sort your summer schedules and see about making the trek out here. Thanks again for your interest!

Chris Johnston

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »
I can't wait!   This could become an annual event, and we can do good through golf.

We took the covers off the greens this week.  Won't be long!

Eric Smith

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »
Chris, you keeping Chef busy already? ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
FWIW, I'm also planning on playing Wildhorse, Bayside, and Awarii Dunes and hopefully some others too.  I may head north into SD afterward to see the Badlands. 

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
J Kav-Is the Dismal Devil making a guest appearance? Did he square up with his bookie yet?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
Eric:

The Chef has been busy.  Will be busy July 4th too!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
What a great event you have planned Eric!

You're very kind to extend this invitation to all of us and I only wish I had enough spare time to attend this July.  Perhaps next year - I'm still holding you to that drink you owe me! ;)

Have a great time...the course looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

Eric Smith

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:35 AM »
What a great event you have planned Eric!

You're very kind to extend this invitation to all of us and I only wish I had enough spare time to attend this July.  Perhaps next year - I'm still holding you to that drink you owe me! ;)

Have a great time...the course looks like a heck of a lot of fun.

Matt,

Thanks. Knowing how many flights you had to take to get to and from Bandon recently, I wouldn't want you to have to go through a similar Planes, Trains and Automobiles scenario in the same calendar year!  You know I'd love to have you out and the invitation will certainly carry over until you do decide to make the journey. 

Re: that beer I owe you, is there compounding interest on that sucker? If not, there should be!  We'll get around to sharing one or a few in due time. Cheers,

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »
Please ensure y'all are on the same page...Prairie Dunes or The Prairie Club.  The "Club" is pretty close (relatively speaking).  I know people who've made the "Dunes" trek and it is a bit of a drive.

Google Maps has the drive from Mullen to Prairie Dunes as about 400 miles and 7.5 hours.  You're right, that is a trek!

It seems to me that it makes sense to fly in to Omaha and head west, ending in Denver.  Anyone know anything about golf in Omaha?  I looked at pictures on the Omaha CC (Maxwell design, recently restored by Keith Foster) website and it looks amazing.  Anyone know anything about it?

It is getting very difficult to wait for the 5th Major, 3 months is too far away.  Sitting in the snow and looking at all of these great golf courses feels damn near hell.

Mark

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 06:19:28 PM »
Please ensure y'all are on the same page...Prairie Dunes or The Prairie Club.  The "Club" is pretty close (relatively speaking).  I know people who've made the "Dunes" trek and it is a bit of a drive.

Google Maps has the drive from Mullen to Prairie Dunes as about 400 miles and 7.5 hours.  You're right, that is a trek!

It seems to me that it makes sense to fly in to Omaha and head west, ending in Denver.  Anyone know anything about golf in Omaha?  I looked at pictures on the Omaha CC (Maxwell design, recently restored by Keith Foster) website and it looks amazing.  Anyone know anything about it?

It is getting very difficult to wait for the 5th Major, 3 months is too far away.  Sitting in the snow and looking at all of these great golf courses feels damn near hell.

Mark

I think you could do way worse than playing Omaha CC.

Sean Leary

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
Eric: I may be in the area around that time - is it okay to come over one day and play a round with the guys? 

Just happen to be in the middle of nowhere Nebraska? :)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
There's some butchered Langford in the region. So depending on whether you're a serious student or just want to play the belt notchers, Omaha and Des Moines might be worth a visit.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
Bump

We're now about 2 months out from the trip, so if you're on the fence about coming, it's time to hop off! We can still add quite a few more of you to the group, but I'll need to give the club a final head/bed count in the next couple of weeks, so let's shoot for a May 13 deadline to sign up.

With a few additions and subtractions to the sign up sheet, I really couldn't be happier with the response thus far to come play golf in the middle of Nebraska on the 4th of July weekend !!

What a bunch of die hards we have assembled for what promises to be a fun filled holiday weekend.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:28:05 PM by Eric Smith »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
In the words of Bart Scott, "Can't wait!"

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
While I will be unable to make this event, I live in Grand Island (about 3.5 hours from Mullen). If anyone needs a bed, I'd be happy to help and if anyone wants to see an "new and improved" York CC, I can accomodate. I also know the new super at Awarii Dunes and if someone wanted help with arrangements I would be happy to facilitate.

PM me if interested.

Also if you fly into Omaha, you can check out some early 90s Jeff Brauer at Woodland Hills just outside of Lincoln. I'm sure he'd tell you his most recent stuff is better but I often say that he brought golf in Nebraska to the next level with WH, Highlands (public in Lincoln), his rework at Pioneers and Champions Run (which hosts our Nationwide Event). It was those courses and Pete Dye's Firethorn that help make places like Sand Hills, Wild Horse, DR and Prairie Club possible today.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:43:48 PM by Tony_Chapman »

Eric Smith

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for the offer! Though I'm bringing a crew in from Denver on this trip, I would definitely like to take you up on your offer another time and come out via Omaha.

Offers like yours - to a bunch of folks you probably haven't met is yet another example of the strength of the membership here in the discussion group. I look forward to meeting up with you one day soon and enjoying time spent in that beautiful state of yours.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
Eric,

Why isn't JC coming out?

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »
I believe he took a new teaching position this summer and has to work on that Friday.

JC Jones

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Partially correct.  I do have to teach a summer class and it does end that Thursday and then I have to get my family from Charlotte, NC to northern MI for 4th of July weekend.

I am disappointed as I am desperate to get out there. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
Jones,

This is your out! Take it while you still can! Those nightmares of you in head-to-toe Maize'n Blue will fade eventually!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Eric Smith

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 07:32:35 AM »
Last call everyone.

I'll be sending the list of participants to the club over the weekend and we should be all set for July.

Eric

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 08:20:50 AM »
My future in-laws from Australia are visiting for the fourth.  I guess Australians have a fireworks fetish so I need to be around to light it up.  Sorry.

One other question.  Does Australia have catfish?

Eric Smith

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
My future in-laws from Australia are visiting for the fourth.  I guess Australians have a fireworks fetish so I need to be around to light it up.  Sorry.

One other question.  Does Australia have catfish?

You'll be missed, John.

I googled Australian catfish and it looks like they have an eeltail catfish in their waters.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back