News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

GCA relevant iPhone apps
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:43:17 AM »
Are there any good ones?

What non-GCA related iPhone apps do you find indispensable of otherwise love?

Alex Miller

Re: GCA relevant iPhone apps
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:05:07 AM »
I have a folder on my phone for golf apps:

Golf GPS Free- the best free gps app I've used and just as good as the golf logix alternative ($30.00?) Uses google map satellite images and allows you to view yardage info over the images. Incredibly accurate for GPS (within 2-3 yards)
Golf Times- Basically Click4teetimes on your phone in a convenient app form
Breakmeter- Place your phone on the green and it tells you how much break there is. I'd imagine it'd be useful for someone setting the day's pins.
Swingreader (Free)- Record your swing and use this to get awesome frame by frame slo-mo playback. Draw lines too to check your plane and swing positions. If you're doing your own thing sans golf pro, this is a great app to have.

I also have a golf game and the PGA Tour app. I'll definitely get the free Masters app for the tournament and the US Open one in June.

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:17:13 AM »
the spirit-level.

Lay the phone down on the ground and it will tell you what degree slope there is.  Handy for quickly determining slopes on greens, tees, fairways, surrounds etc etc without getting out dumpy's and the like.

also handy for hanging pictures at home - just put the edge of the phone on the edge of the picture, and adjust to zero!.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:40:56 AM »
We need a golf club atlas app!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »

Golf GPS Free- the best free gps app I've used and just as good as the golf logix alternative ($30.00?) Uses google map satellite images and allows you to view yardage info over the images. Incredibly accurate for GPS (within 2-3 yards)
Golf Times- Basically Click4teetimes on your phone in a convenient app form
Breakmeter- Place your phone on the green and it tells you how much break there is. I'd imagine it'd be useful for someone setting the day's pins.
Swingreader (Free)- Record your swing and use this to get awesome frame by frame slo-mo playback. Draw lines too to check your plane and swing positions. If you're doing your own thing sans golf pro, this is a great app to have.

After installing the above apps I found an "autogolf" app that actually plays the round for you while you do other more productive things like....

Yesterday my "auto golf Apple" shot a career low round at my home club and attempted to use "Click4teetimes" to set itself up for an afternoon round at a nearby club.
Unfortunately they said they only allowed oranges to play there and that it would be hard to compare the two.....

Do we really have phones reading greens now???...
Does it have a Jamaican accent appp?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
We need a golf club atlas app!

I have one!

Actually...it is just a "link" to the discussion pages I made for my iPod Touch.  I know that's cheating...  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
the spirit-level.

Lay the phone down on the ground and it will tell you what degree slope there is.  Handy for quickly determining slopes on greens, tees, fairways, surrounds etc etc without getting out dumpy's and the like.

also handy for hanging pictures at home - just put the edge of the phone on the edge of the picture, and adjust to zero!.

James B

Just for giggles last weekend at Cobb's Creek with Kris S, Mike C, and JNC I pulled out the iPhone level program on the 18th green.  Those that have played CC know this green is not pin-able in the front half of the green.  It was fun to try to predict the grade at various parts of that portion of the green, and JNC was pretty good at it!  FYI:  at the very front it is 10%, and 'levels out' (!) to about 5% at the midpoint.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back