News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J Sadowsky

Danang Golf Club photos
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
First, an excuse.  I played this course about a month ago, and was shuffled to the 4th hole, and then tried to keep pace of play fast and get done in about 3 hours (it ended up being 4 because the last several holes went slow once I caught up with some Japanese businessmen).  Plus I spent a lot of time in the sand without a real sand wedge (I rented clubs, and while the set they gave me were all newish TaylorMades, they gave me a "sandwedge" which was just a pitching wedge with no bounce on it).  So I struggled out of the sand - which I am not good with anyway - and focusing on the details of the course was not as easy as it should have been.  

So, that being said, a few photos, a few comments.

First, the course (a Greg Norman design) is actually on a natural sandy site, and the trees, though they do not look Vietnamese, are the natural vegetation.  The Danang surfside is pretty decent golf land, if not perfectly linksy.

While I am sure lots of land was moved, I do have to commend the design team for giving the course a natural look, except for the parts of the course that (a few holes) that line the housing developments.  That being said, they really could have done more with the holes.  A couple holes were really, really good, but most of them blended into each other.  Sand left, sand right, hole in front of you, narrow fairway, hit it long, hit it straight.  Sort of takes the thinking out of the equation.  

Plus, they had a limited beach view (which is fine), and tried to turn it into a "signature hole."  But the signature hole is just a short par 3 with a green you cannot miss, and a green that is far too lenient about you not getting near the flag.  As "short" holes go, there are much better ones.  A little bit disappointing.

Still, a very good course, and really the first time I have had the chance to play a "natural" links.  So I hope my few criticisms does not quell any interest in people who are in Vietnam from playing the course.  Plus, the conditioning and the service were tip top.

Caddy.  Caddies are all female, and while I doubt any of them have played much (if any) golf, they are exceptional at judging distance and finding lost golf balls.  The latter particularly came in handy with my game.

Driving range

I believe this is the 4th hole.  One of the few holes with a decent landing area.  You want to be to the right if you can to get a better approach, but since it's an areal shot anyway, the only thing that will really kill you is if you are way left (or off the fairway).  I, proud of realizing the strategy of the hole, proceeded to hit it into the bunker on the right.

Another hole.  As you can see, the course is beautiful - pretty bunkers abound - but the bunker fronting the green really takes the ground game out of the picture.

One of the better holes on the course, this short par 4 is a classic risk-reward.  I laid up and made a bogie (only due to a bad 3 putt).  My playing partner went for it and doubled.

Same hole I believe.  The mountains in the background are beautiful.  Some of the new construction less so.

A green.  One of the things I like about the design team is how they fit the greens into the course, without trying to overly flatten them.  I'm not sure they found the "best" eighteen green sites, but they didn't appease their players by picking out purely flat land for the greens.

Another green site.  Don't miss short.  Then again, don't miss long.

The tenth hole.   One of the holes with a wide landing area.  The bluff on the right is massive, though there's no strategic reason for testing it other than to shorten the hole (but guess who ended up on it anyway).

Some of the contours of the course are more subtle than the pictures above indicate.  However, as this picture sort of indicates, a lot of them really don't have any major strategic choices to it.  Don't go left, don't go right, narrow landing area, etc.

One of my favorite holes, going right leaves you the shorter route to the hole, but going left there is more landing area.  I went right, and made par.

The "signature" short hole.  Looking at it again, I wonder if the problem I had with the hole is just the flag position, which was at the lowest part of the green.  

Cham Island in the background.

I am pretty sure I "othered" this hole, but I cannot for the life of me remember whether there was any strategy to the hole.  I feel like this was another "long, narrow, straight is your only option" hole.

If you squint, some of the holes look like they'd belong in North Carolina.

The bunkers are a lot more massive than they appear from a distance.

The 9th?  The 18th?  Athe holes are very pretty, but they also blended somewhat due to the lack of strategy.  The clubhouse went with for an ultra-modern vibe.

Another picture of the clubhouse.

Typical hole.  They do a good job hiding the cart paths.  Walking is permitted, and I walked, though there are some bear green-to-tee walks.

The nice thing about a "short" signature hole is that putting the ball on the green in regulation is not difficult.

Another view of the beach (from the same hole).

Real estate for sale.

That's all I've got.  Hope you enjoyed.  Once again - this is worth playing if you are going to be in the Danang/Hoian area, or if you are doing a Vietnam golf tour already.  I'm not sure I'd say it's worth a trip for the course itself, though.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:55:35 AM by Justin Sadowsky »

Mark McKeever

Re: Danang Golf Club photos
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
Looks like a very neat course.  Thanks for sharing!!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back