News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Re: Worst A-Bomb Holes You've Played (And Why!)
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »
John F.,

If we're talking Rochester area public courses, have you ever played Twin Hills?  The 14th hole there has got to be the worst short four I've ever played, and it is very similar in principle to that old Holiday Valley hole.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »

Kevin - That was, before the re-design, the WORST golf hole I had ever played in my life by a MILE.

Have not played the new one, but it has to be an improvement!

Yeah - that was a memorable one (for all the wrong reasons)!  I never used the "A-Bomb" to describe it before.  However, I had used the "ClusterF*ck" Label quite liberally.

If you haven't been to Holiday Valley (now renamed Double Black Diamond at Holiday Valley) since the re-design, you should make a trip.  Paul Albanese (of Mill Creek) performed the work, and it was nominated by Golf Magazine as one of the Best Re-Designs of 2009.

http://www.holidayvalley.com/HolidayValley/info/hole-by-hole.aspx

The back 9 is completely different and much less claustrophobic.  It's hard to describe hole numbers because they've changed the order several times over the years, but in general, the biggest changes are:

11:  As described, changed from a "ClusterF*ck" Par 5 to a Par 4.

13:  Used to be a very narrow, downhill Par 4 (approx. 320 yards).  They brought out the chainsaws liberally, and created a double fairway (old fairway is left half).  They cleared trees up the slope to add elevated tee boxes, so that it can now play 446 yards.  You hit a nice drive, and you get to watch it soar for a LOOOONNNGG time until it lands (it's the hole pictured at the top of the webpage I sent you).

10:  They added some elevated tee boxes to completely change the look of the hole and clear out some forest.

17 & 18 (or 10/11 depending when you played):  Used to be a brutal uphill Par 4 up the right and then a long downhill Par 4 back down the left.  Now, they've added a tee box so that the 17th now plays uphill on the left of the tree-line as a Par 5 (up the old 18th fairway) to a newly built green (behind where the 18th tee used to sit).  The new 18th plays back down the old 17th fairway (with some trees cleared out), and uses the old 18th green (coming at it from the left side rather than the right). 

There are a number of other changes you can see in the "Hole-by-Hole" link I sent.  I was quite impressed with the changes....  except these two.

- The old 9th used to be a drivable Par 4 with a pond on the left side (took around 270 carry).  To expand their condos, the teeing area was lost, so it's now a shortish Par 3 with a huge green built to receive a 270 yard drive, not a 7 iron.  Not a bad hole, but I miss the short 4 risk/reward.

-  They arbitrarily changed 16 from a half-par Five (465 yards) to a BEAST Par 4 (458 yards into the wind).  That would be fine in some cases, but the green is designed specifically for a Par 5.  There is a 5 yard wide creek cutting in front of the green, so it precludes any run up, and the green is not overly large (i.e. meant to receive a short approach).  That's fine as a Par 5, because the person going for it in two accepts these risks.  But just arbitrarily making it a Par 4 is absurd.  This just reeks of the "Harder Must Be Better" mentality.  The hole as designed is great - the decision to call it a Par 4 warrants the "A-Bomb."

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 04:12:42 PM »
John F.,

If we're talking Rochester area public courses, have you ever played Twin Hills?  The 14th hole there has got to be the worst short four I've ever played, and it is very similar in principle to that old Holiday Valley hole.

I haven't seen the 14th at Twin Hills, but I'm fairly confident the old Holiday Valley could stand up to anything is the "A-Bomb" competition.  I wish I had some photos of the old hole just to give you an idea of the "bowling alley" quality of the fairway.  I haven't found any on the internet (I think they burned them all).

JNC Lyon

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
John F.,

I haven't seen the 14th at Twin Hills, but I'm fairly confident the old Holiday Valley could stand up to anything is the "A-Bomb" competition.  I wish I had some photos of the old hole just to give you an idea of the "bowling alley" quality of the fairway.  I haven't found any on the internet (I think they burned them all).

I just remember being 100 yards out in the middle of the fairway and having absolutely no shot because of trees at the corner of the dogleg.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »

I just remember being 100 yards out in the middle of the fairway and having absolutely no shot because of trees at the corner of the dogleg.

And therein lies the "Dark Side" of 90 degree doglegs.  I have no problem with them in principle, but they are susceptible to ridiculously small landing areas if not done right.

Anton

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 05:02:56 PM »
My local track (Golden Pheasant) here in South Jersey has some "A-Bomb" / fun holes to choose from.

The 4th is one that a number of people would like to A-Bomb.  At 440 with fairways that measure to US Open depths it is tough to get a drive out to a position to reach a green some 50 ft down in a hole.  Water wraps around the left side of the green and around the rear.  Its just a tough par 4 (easy par 5+).  There have been many 9 hole rounds where I have played 8 holes a couple under par but had an 8 (or more) on this "gem" of a hole.  :-)

This course also features the 90 degree dogleg left par 4 7th.  It is an 8 iron tee shot followed by a 9 iron or wedge approach.  

Definitely a fun course for a beer league and not to take golf to seriously.  
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 05:56:13 PM »
I can think of a couple on muni tracks I grew up playing ...

Aurora Hills #10
This is a 550-yard par 5 that plays at a 90-degree angle around a lake that stretches from tee to green. The furthest you can hit your drive is 180-200 yards (if that, i seem to recall never hitting more than 5 iron even as a kid) to where the fairway turns 90 degrees to the right. From that point you have a lake down the right and OB/canal down the left as you play two boring shots into the hole.

It is theoretically possible to carry the corner of the lake with a drive, but I'm guessing you'd have to carry at least 250-260 and you'd have a good chance of having your ball run through the fairway and into the canal on the other side if you managed it.

Meadow Hills #11

Never hated this hole, but it could have been a lot better. This is another 90 degree dogleg hole, this one with trees at the corner. The drive was well downhill to a flat fairway. The range was beyond where the dogleg turned so you couldn't go ripping a driver on the hole or you'd be OB, but you had to hit it far enough to be past the treeline to have any shot into the green, which had water and a deep sand trap in front.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »
Aurora Hills #10
This is a 550-yard par 5 that plays at a 90-degree angle around a lake that stretches from tee to green. The furthest you can hit your drive is 180-200 yards (if that, i seem to recall never hitting more than 5 iron even as a kid) to where the fairway turns 90 degrees to the right. From that point you have a lake down the right and OB/canal down the left as you play two boring shots into the hole.

It is theoretically possible to carry the corner of the lake with a drive, but I'm guessing you'd have to carry at least 250-260 and you'd have a good chance of having your ball run through the fairway and into the canal on the other side if you managed it.

I've played this once... I hit it through the fairway but dry and had to lay up to 100 yards. All of us stood on the tee and said "where do you hit it?" It wouldn't be so bad if the canal on the far side wasn't there.

This is pretty bad, but I think I hate #6 at Legacy more.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
Holiday Vallye's former bowling alley:

I always suggested that they should plant and shave the hillside right so that it would funnel balls back to the fairway. You still couldn't hit driver, but you could hit something, knowing it would ramble back down. They still haven't done it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Charlie Visconsi

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 12:53:48 AM »
Two listed below:

Ocean's Edge #18 on Cape Cod (Ocean is not in sight from the course).  It required three 5 irons for the par 5 18th hole.  Just an awful hole.  I think they finally bulldozed and remodeled the course and especaially this hole.  But it made you nver want to come back to the course.

Trump's in Westchester (13 I think)  -- the waterfall hole.  I was waiting for a lighted picture of Trump to come out of the waterfall.  Just awful. awful.  That could be said for the whole course but especially holes 10 through 13.

Jason Topp

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:32 AM »
Starr Pass in Tucson (site of Mickelson's PGA Tour win as an amateur) has a miserable one.  It was the 15th back in the day but I am not sure what it is now.

Short par four up and over a hill.  Layup off the tee leaves you behind a rock outcropping and a blind 150-170 yard shot.  Driver leaves you with a half wedge from a downhill lie to an extremely shallow green with bunkers eating into the front and desert behind. The hole was so goofy I actually found it fun to play.

Anton

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
For my father (I will speak on his behalf), his A-Bomb would be the 18th at Royal New Kent.  The hole does not fit the style of the rest of the course.  Here you have an Irish links style course with heaving "dunes" and ridges and all kinds of wonderful eye candy.  Then you come to 18 with its giant lake creating a pennisula green and fairway with a cascading waterfall behind the green.  Just does not fit the rest of the course at all.  It is pretty but not a good finish to New Kent.  My father absolutely hates the hole because on one windy afternoon there he dumped a dozen or so balls into the water on both the drive and approach shot.  Definitely worthy of an Atomic Bomb!.  ;-)

Michael Dugger

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »
The 19th hole at Fukushima Country Club comes to mind...

It's imperative you avoid the water.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 12:37:27 PM »
Starr Pass in Tucson (site of Mickelson's PGA Tour win as an amateur) has a miserable one.  It was the 15th back in the day but I am not sure what it is now.

Short par four up and over a hill.  Layup off the tee leaves you behind a rock outcropping and a blind 150-170 yard shot.  Driver leaves you with a half wedge from a downhill lie to an extremely shallow green with bunkers eating into the front and desert behind. The hole was so goofy I actually found it fun to play.

That's the actual Starr pass hole, which plays through the old pass. I didn't think it was such a bad hole, it does give you options even if some aren't great.

The new nine they built out there has a lot worse holes on it. That's a course full of holes that were pretty easy for me, a low handicapper who can drive the ball a long ways ... but nearly impossible for the high HCP husband and wife I was playing with. Even from forward tees there were multiple holes where they had little chance of making the forced carry over desert on either their drives or second shots.

Completely backward from the way a resort course ought to play, it seemed to me.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »
11th hole at Golf Club of West Virginia - the green is cut at a different height than the rest because of the SEVERE back to front slope. If the rest fo the greens are running 9 this one is about 5 or 6, any fast and you could not play the hole. THis is followed up by a 135 yard par 3 that plays straight up a steep slope and requires a 12 foot+ flagstick just to get a peak at the very top of the flag.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »
For my father (I will speak on his behalf), his A-Bomb would be the 18th at Royal New Kent.  The hole does not fit the style of the rest of the course.  Here you have an Irish links style course with heaving "dunes" and ridges and all kinds of wonderful eye candy.  Then you come to 18 with its giant lake creating a pennisula green and fairway with a cascading waterfall behind the green.  Just does not fit the rest of the course at all.  It is pretty but not a good finish to New Kent.  My father absolutely hates the hole because on one windy afternoon there he dumped a dozen or so balls into the water on both the drive and approach shot.  Definitely worthy of an Atomic Bomb!.  ;-)

Tony, RNK lost its Irish appeal long before 18. It is an interesting, damned hard course, but an Irish links it ain't. That was a marketing machine at work. Think about holes 15 and 16...those are more Hawaii than Ireland. 18,however, does suck, especially that little lay-up pad right before the water...is it even 10 yards wide?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anton

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
It is Irish links-ish in spots.  :-)

I surprised myself with my 75 on the first treck around that course.  Very demanding and not a fun course to walk. 

Stan Dodd

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »
The 15th at Cruden Bay.   Blin Dunt is a Blind Dud.
  The worst hole on a good to great course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back