News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Lost Farm Question for Boomerang Folks
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
At some point in 2010 a quote by Mike Keiser leaked out that Lost Farm was the best thing built since Augusta National.  Since a large group was down there does that statement hold true?  Where would you see this course falling in what has been built in the last 50+ years?

Not really looking if you would say it is a Top 20 in the World or anything like that.  Just curious if it truly is one of the greats.

Thanks.

P.S.  Also, would you put Lost Farm and Barn Dunes in the same breath as W.Foot East and West, Pac and Mac, or Cypress and Pebble.

Kevin Pallier

Re: Lost Farm Question for Boomerang Folks
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »
Steve

Am not sure of the validity of the alleged quote ?

To answer your questions - no doubt it's a very good course but I dont think it will be percieved by the majority to be better than Barnbougle Dunes. I currently have it in my Top5 Aust. courses and I'm sure others will percieve it differently.

I have it ranked behind Sand Hills and Friars Head of the Coore (& Crenshaw) courses I've seen. It's of higher enough quality for mine to make World Top100 lists but where - will be the interesting point.

Most definitely as a one-two punch it can be included amongst some other notable areas as a destination point for keen golf enthusiasts - though the Sandbelt for mine is Aust. #1 area.

I'm just glad that I dont have to travel for hours on end to get to a set of great links courses anymore.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »
Steve:

I'd say the general consensus of those at the Boomerang was that BD was the better of the two, but Lost Farms was still a blast to play.  Mike Keiser is certainly a savvy marketer, and his statement smells to me of promotion.  It is certainly a great course, but there are at least a handful of courses built in the last 50 years that would give it a run for the money, including Doak's 2 down under, Sand Hills, Kingsley, the new courses on LI and some of Dye's best work (and this is by no means a comprehensive list).

Hard to compare the Barney courses to WF, as they're completely different styles.  I'd say they rival any combination of 2 at Bandon very favorably.  As for Monterrey, it would be hard to top any combination that has Cypress involved.  Put Pebble with just about any other course in the area and I'd guess most would prefer the Barney courses.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
I believe Mike's qeuote was "The most important golf course built since Augusta National".

That's a different claim to "best since ANGC", but still a hell of a call.

For links golf, I think it's much more like The Old Course than anything else I have played.

Most important? Time will tell. To me an important couse affects the way courses are designed going forward, the way Sand Hills did, and that's not something we know yet about Barnbougle Lost Farm.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back