News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

Re: A Open And Shut Case For Tom Bendelow
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
Hi Tom.  I didn't say Bendelow should be in the Hall of Fame.  I pointed out what I perceived the reason Kevin feels strongly about it.  I myself do not care about Hall of Fames - or lists.
Sorry, I don't actually know Tom Dunn.  If he made extraordinary contributions to the game - then why not be in the Hall?
Do you place any importance on quality of design?
Do you really want to ask me that question?
What are TB's greatest architectural accomplishments?
Don't know.  Architectural brilliance is not really the reason Kevin nominated him.
Again, all I was saying is what I perceived to be Kevins point.  But I will say if someone makes extraordinary contributions to the game I have no objection to their entrance.
Got to run...I'll come back to this later if you fellows care to chat more about it.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »
The problem is not that Bendelow is not in, or Tilly, Colt, Flynn, Maxwell, and many etcetera's. The problem is the PROCESS for their even being considered.

Every architect may qualify through the "Lifetime Achievement" category ONLY. Typically the members of this very small committee are more concerned over whether the person they want to honor is alive and what political gain may be made. How can anyone even begin to rationalize why any living president of the U.S. needs to have been honored for their "lifetime achievement" to the game when you compare what even mediocre architects have accomplished throughout their careers?

The HOF is NOT interested in a separate architect's wing. Of course that would only make sense to have one so why not do it? As I was recently told, "There is no interest in having one at this time."

The ONLY way that Tilly, Flynn, Thomas, Maxwell, Thompson and even Mr. Bendelow will ever get in is if we who care about the architecture of the game and who appreciate its overriding historical impostance to it start making real noise. Let's be honest, there are some VERY influential people who are members of GCA.com. It's time you manned up and spoke up to whomever you can and DEMAND that the greats of the game be honored, way overdue as it might be.

What a lovely gesture was made to put Chirkinian in the hall. Unfortunately he didn't live to see it happen, yet honestly, his only real "lifetime achievements" in the game of golf was putting a blimp in the air with a camera and having scores tabulated based upon relation to par. Other than that what else did he do? Yet he was a craftsman and master at what he did and deserved to be honored for it. Guess what, he was! That is why he was put into the TELEVISION BROADCASTERS hall of fame! He was recognized by his peers already.

Compare that to a man like Tilly who has how many courses ranked in the latest top 50 classics by GolfWeek? CB Macdonald is in; compare the numbers of courses ranked today between he and Tilly. Yet one is in and the other isn't? He wrote more articless about golf than ANY writer currently in the Hall. He was the editor of at least 4 different newspaper and golf journals. His photographs were published continuously from his first one of Old Tom Morris in 1898 until the last one shortly before he suffered his heart attack in 1940 that would lead to his death. His 2+ year PGA Course Consultation Tour probably kept the PGA of America from going bankrupt and out of business in the Depression. Without that little organization there would NEVER have been a PGA tour itself.

Yet the "Lifetime Achievement Committee" would rather see entertainers such as Bob Hope and Bing Crosby and Dinah Shore and so many others not truly deserving placed in honor above a Tilly.

I'm sorry for Mr. Bendelow, and Thomas and Maxwell and Flynn and yes, Tilly. They are dishonored with each year that passes and they are not installed. Again, stop complaining about this issue and DO SOMETHING!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »

Tom

As usual you do not read what people write

When and where did TB invent the island green?  Do not know, you have all the answers so you tell me or perhaps you would like to re-read my comment noting that I was referring to - that of “a Jack of All Trades, But was he a Master of any” – the key was ‘that of’

It’s not a question of who is better than another, it is just believing that this individual works should be recognised – it’s that old thing the eye of the beholder as there is nothing wrong with the others it’s that we are talking about Tom Bendelow. 

You do not agree, well its only opinions so live with it.

Melvyn

Tom MacWood

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 06:20:50 AM »
The problem is not that Bendelow is not in, or Tilly, Colt, Flynn, Maxwell, and many etcetera's. The problem is the PROCESS for their even being considered.

Every architect may qualify through the "Lifetime Achievement" category ONLY. Typically the members of this very small committee are more concerned over whether the person they want to honor is alive and what political gain may be made. How can anyone even begin to rationalize why any living president of the U.S. needs to have been honored for their "lifetime achievement" to the game when you compare what even mediocre architects have accomplished throughout their careers?

The HOF is NOT interested in a separate architect's wing. Of course that would only make sense to have one so why not do it? As I was recently told, "There is no interest in having one at this time."

The ONLY way that Tilly, Flynn, Thomas, Maxwell, Thompson and even Mr. Bendelow will ever get in is if we who care about the architecture of the game and who appreciate its overriding historical impostance to it start making real noise. Let's be honest, there are some VERY influential people who are members of GCA.com. It's time you manned up and spoke up to whomever you can and DEMAND that the greats of the game be honored, way overdue as it might be.

What a lovely gesture was made to put Chirkinian in the hall. Unfortunately he didn't live to see it happen, yet honestly, his only real "lifetime achievements" in the game of golf was putting a blimp in the air with a camera and having scores tabulated based upon relation to par. Other than that what else did he do? Yet he was a craftsman and master at what he did and deserved to be honored for it. Guess what, he was! That is why he was put into the TELEVISION BROADCASTERS hall of fame! He was recognized by his peers already.

Compare that to a man like Tilly who has how many courses ranked in the latest top 50 classics by GolfWeek? CB Macdonald is in; compare the numbers of courses ranked today between he and Tilly. Yet one is in and the other isn't? He wrote more articless about golf than ANY writer currently in the Hall. He was the editor of at least 4 different newspaper and golf journals. His photographs were published continuously from his first one of Old Tom Morris in 1898 until the last one shortly before he suffered his heart attack in 1940 that would lead to his death. His 2+ year PGA Course Consultation Tour probably kept the PGA of America from going bankrupt and out of business in the Depression. Without that little organization there would NEVER have been a PGA tour itself.

Yet the "Lifetime Achievement Committee" would rather see entertainers such as Bob Hope and Bing Crosby and Dinah Shore and so many others not truly deserving placed in honor above a Tilly.

I'm sorry for Mr. Bendelow, and Thomas and Maxwell and Flynn and yes, Tilly. They are dishonored with each year that passes and they are not installed. Again, stop complaining about this issue and DO SOMETHING!

Are you trying to claim Tilly deserved induction before CB Macdonald? CBM won the the first US Am so he could have gained access via the lifetime achievement category or veterans category. The veterans category recognizes past professionals and amateurs, and CBM had a distinguished amateur career. His resume of designs, including arguably the first great course in America, his mentoring Raynor & Banks, his book, and his over all influence on golf architecture in America are hard to argue with.

If I was to rate which persons associated with golf architecture, and the sport overall, who are most deserving today it would be 1.HG Hutchinson, 2.Colt, 3.Tilly. TB would be well down the list, you let him in and you better let in about 25 or 30 more.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:52 AM »

Tom

As usual you do not read what people write

When and where did TB invent the island green?  Do not know, you have all the answers so you tell me or perhaps you would like to re-read my comment noting that I was referring to - that of “a Jack of All Trades, But was he a Master of any” – the key was ‘that of’

It’s not a question of who is better than another, it is just believing that this individual works should be recognised – it’s that old thing the eye of the beholder as there is nothing wrong with the others it’s that we are talking about Tom Bendelow.  

You do not agree, well its only opinions so live with it.

Melvyn

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought there was a reason you brought up the inventor of the island green in relation to TB (by the way who invented the island green?).

The HOF is reserved for the greats of the game, or at least it should be in my opinion. If you open the flood gates to architects with less than stellar resumes you dumb down the achievements of people who deserve to be in, like OTM.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »

Wow Tom,  I am humbled by your comment re Old Tom

Is this the same Tom MacWood we have all learnt to love and hate or are you an imposter who has hacked into his computer to spread mischief?

Melvyn

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:31 AM »
Tom,

Once again you show that you simply don't understand what was written. In fact, your response shows that you also have no idea as to why CBM is in the Hall of Fame.

"Are you trying to claim Tilly deserved induction before CB Macdonald?" In my opinion YES. Tilly did far more in his golf career than CBM did. As architects one can argue that they are equals at a minimum and contemporaneous ones at that. I refer you once again to examine the latest list of the top 50 classic courses by GolfWeek and count how many designs each has.

"CBM won the the first US Am so he could have gained access via the lifetime achievement category or veterans category. The veterans category recognizes past professionals and amateurs, and CBM had a distinguished amateur career." CBM was NOT inducted through the Veteran's Category. He was inducted through the LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT category. In my opinion winning the first US Amateur is wonderful but as a singular accomplishment is certainly not worth entry into the HOF as a player.

"His resume of designs, including arguably the first great course in America, his mentoring Raynor & Banks, his book, and his over all influence on golf architecture in America are hard to argue with." I'm not arguing with them as he well deserves being in the Hall of Fame. I think it is every bit as unthinkable and a disgrace that a man with his resume was forced to wait until 2007 before inducting him. However, Tilly's resume of courses is more impressive both in scope and longevity and design career. Did you know that between 2000-10 14 national or major championships were held on Tillinghast golf courses. How many were held on CBM's? Look it up and compare. He wrote a fine book, but are you trying to compare that against Tilly's 40+ years as a golf writer, golf editor for numerous publications and two books? Tilly wrote so much more than any other architect about golf architecture that it is an absurdity to make the comparison. And by the way, Tilly mentored a number who would go onto distinguished careers as architects in their own right. For example, one of those who worked for/with him he helped set up in his own own practice by GIVING HIM three of his own commissions! I'll let you figure that out for yourself. Whereas CBM's legacy is singular to architecture (I'd argue as to his overall playing career) Tilly really did help save the PGA of America from going bankrupt during the Depression, his photographs were used hundreds and hundreds of times to illustrate both his and others articles in the major golf publications of the day. Tilly's legacy to the game eclipses CBM's in many areas, yet even that is not my point.

Tilly, Maxwell, Thomas, Flynn, Bendelow and other architects all  SHOULD HAVE GONE IN TOGETHER with CBM in the very FIRST induction ceremony and that there should also be a separate category for golf architects. My point was never about comparing who is the "best" but recognizing that architects have been ignored from the very beginning of the Hall's creation and this is both an insult and a dishonor to its purpose.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:29 AM »

Wow Tom,  I am humbled by your comment re Old Tom

Is this the same Tom MacWood we have all learnt to love and hate or are you an imposter who has hacked into his computer to spread mischief?

Melvyn

MM
The same person who wrote this about OTM in my recent essay: "Old Tom is one of the most important figures in the history of the game, and one of the most significant course designers of this early period. Not only did he lay out a large number of golf courses, he was instrumental in spreading the game at a most crucial time."

I think confuse my objection to you inflating or exaggerating his record with the idea is not deserving. His record stands on its own, he is most deserving, but he does need you blowing his design attributions out of proportion.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 08:25:24 AM »
Tom,

Once again you show that you simply don't understand what was written. In fact, your response shows that you also have no idea as to why CBM is in the Hall of Fame.

"Are you trying to claim Tilly deserved induction before CB Macdonald?" In my opinion YES. Tilly did far more in his golf career than CBM did. As architects one can argue that they are equals at a minimum and contemporaneous ones at that. I refer you once again to examine the latest list of the top 50 classic courses by GolfWeek and count how many designs each has.

"CBM won the the first US Am so he could have gained access via the lifetime achievement category or veterans category. The veterans category recognizes past professionals and amateurs, and CBM had a distinguished amateur career." CBM was NOT inducted through the Veteran's Category. He was inducted through the LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT category. In my opinion winning the first US Amateur is wonderful but as a singular accomplishment is certainly not worth entry into the HOF as a player.

"His resume of designs, including arguably the first great course in America, his mentoring Raynor & Banks, his book, and his over all influence on golf architecture in America are hard to argue with." I'm not arguing with them as he well deserves being in the Hall of Fame. I think it is every bit as unthinkable and a disgrace that a man with his resume was forced to wait until 2007 before inducting him. However, Tilly's resume of courses is more impressive both in scope and longevity and design career. Did you know that between 2000-10 14 national or major championships were held on Tillinghast golf courses. How many were held on CBM's? Look it up and compare. He wrote a fine book, but are you trying to compare that against Tilly's 40+ years as a golf writer, golf editor for numerous publications and two books? Tilly wrote so much more than any other architect about golf architecture that it is an absurdity to make the comparison. And by the way, Tilly mentored a number who would go onto distinguished careers as architects in their own right. For example, one of those who worked for/with him he helped set up in his own own practice by GIVING HIM three of his own commissions! I'll let you figure that out for yourself. Whereas CBM's legacy is singular to architecture (I'd argue as to his overall playing career) Tilly really did help save the PGA of America from going bankrupt during the Depression, his photographs were used hundreds and hundreds of times to illustrate both his and others articles in the major golf publications of the day. Tilly's legacy to the game eclipses CBM's in many areas, yet even that is not my point.

Tilly, Maxwell, Thomas, Flynn, Bendelow and other architects all  SHOULD HAVE GONE IN TOGETHER with CBM in the very FIRST induction ceremony and that there should also be a separate category for golf architects. My point was never about comparing who is the "best" but recognizing that architects have been ignored from the very beginning of the Hall's creation and this is both an insult and a dishonor to its purpose.

If you just look on their individual course resume you might have a point, but CBM's individual accomplishments and overall impact on the game far outweigh Tilly's.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
Tom,

I am not looking to argue, but that is a very broad and unsupported statement you just made. "If you just look on their individual course resume you might have a point, but CBM's individual accomplishments and overall impact on the game far outweigh Tilly's."

I have to call you on this one. Exactly what did CBM do other than his design work that "FAR OUTWEIGH TILLY"S" overall impact on the game? In all I cited I didn't even include a number of other areas in which Tilly had a profound impact. For example, Tilly was there at the Taplow Room when the PGA of America was formed in 1916. He supported it and aided it throughout his career. In fact, he was also there at the FIRST MEETING where the PGA as an organization was proposed. This was at Shawnee the week of the 1913 Shawnee Open. You can either wait for the book to read the chapter titled "Shawnee - The Cradle of the PGA" or you can look up the various articles that talk all about this. Fred Corcoran wrote an article titled "The Cradle of the PGA" which was published in the PGA of America magazine in 1938 prior to the PGA championship being held at Shawnee.

I have no problem with you stating that it is SIMPLY YOUR OPINION, but I think you need to provide some basis for it when you make a statement such as you did.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:44:11 AM by Philip Young »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
* Founder of Belmont CC, one of the first golf clubs in America
* Laid out the first 18-hole course in America
* Won the first US Amateur (runner up two previous unofficial Ams)
* Competed in the British Am
* One of the founders of the USGA
* On the first R&A Rules of Golf Committee (18 years on that committee)
* Contributed numerous articles on the game/architecture including his famous artilce on the ideal golf course
* Laid out the first great golf course in America - NGLA
* Darwin called him the first great golf architect in America
* Laid out Lido, which was considered along with PV and NGLA, one of the three great modern designs
* Designer of another dozen + top flight early courses
* Mentor of Raynor & Banks
* Influenced numerous other architects including Tilly, who incorporated CBM prototypes in his early designs
* Author of Scotland's Gift
* Often referred to as the Father of American Golf
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:29:25 AM by Tom MacWood »

Kevin Drum

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
I have been listening and learning and while his accomplishments are incredible at a time when the game didn't know its future in the states -I didn't really suggest he should be in for building the 600 courses by itself, but I thought it was a no brainer because of the 600 times he sold the game in those communities and I wondered what the game would be today IF HE DIDN'T DO IT ! I came to the simple 19th hole conclusion it would have been much worse off and is better for it. And then I took the giant leap from there that he should be in the HOF. You all are much more knowledgeable than me - but my premise is based on the fact that if he didn't do what he did - how would the game be today and I don't think it would be where it is today and my premise is as simple as that!

-
* Founder of Belmont CC, one of the first golf clubs in America
* Laid out the first 18-hole course in America
* Won the first US Amateur (runner up two previous unofficial Ams)
* Competed in the British Am, but I thought i
* One of the founders of the USGA
* On the first R&A Rules of Golf Committee (18 years on that committee)
* Contributed numerous articles on the game/architecture including his famous artilce on the ideal golf course
* Laid out the first great golf course in America - NGLA
* Darwin called him the first great golf architect in America
* Laid out Lido, which was considered along with PV and NGLA, one of the three great modern designs
* Designer of another dozen + top flight early courses
* Mentor of Raynor & Banks
* Influenced numerous other architects including Tilly, who incorporated CBM prototypes in his early designs
* Author of Scotland's Gift
* Often referred to as the Father of American Golf

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
Kevin,

Don't sell either yourself or your ability to judge greatness short. Bendelow had a wonderful career at a time when the game exploded on America and there were very few capable of designing anything of quality whatsoever. He deserves his spot in the Hall.

That is why all who believe that golf course architecture is a specific and most important part of what defines golf and its greatness as a sport should do all that they can to pressure those at the Hall of Fame and on the Lifetime Achievement Committee to honor those who should be rather than "notable dignitaries" simply because they can put bodies into seats in Florida for a ceremony.

DMoriarty

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:58 AM »
Phillip,

Your post number 32 has left me dumbfounded.   I always knew you were a big fan and supporter of AWT, but come on!  His legacy eclipses that of CBM in many areas?    Wow    

1.  Your comparison of their accomplishments of in architecture is inapt.  You always seem to forget that CBM was an Amateur architect who never accepted a penny for his work, and was thus involved in comparatively few courses.   But his few golf courses revolutionized golf course design in America.  Surely you must realize that Tillie and about everyone else benefited immeasurably from his efforts.    

2.  Likewise, you further load the deck with your emphasis on "scope" and "longevity."   What sort of longevity do you expect out of a old man who never took a penny to design courses?   How many courses do you expect him to have created?  CBM was an old man in comparison and he stopped designing much earlier.  Do you really expect him to have designed courses in the early 1890s that could host a US Open today?   Is that a realistic expectation?

3.  Your claim that they were "contemporaries" takes more than a little fudging on your part.   CBM designed his first course in America the better part of two decades before Tillie designed his first course. Despite Tillie's self-promotion of Shawnee a few years later, I don't think you'd find too many, other than perhaps Tillie, who would have considered AWT a contemporary of CBM when CBM came up for the concept for NGLA, or when CBM was designing and building it in was designing and building it NGLA in 1906-1909.

4.  You claim that CBM's legacy is "singular to architecture."   Have you ever read anything about golf in America pre -1900?  Have you ever heard of the USGA or ever wondered how it got its start?  Check it out, you might find that CBM had a bit to with that.  Doesn't this count for anything?  Have you ever heard of the rules of golf?  CBM wrote them.  At the very least, CBM was one of the most significant of the founders of golf in America, and he had a tremendous impact on golf in the two most important early centers here, Chicago and New York.   Doesn't that count for anything?

There is more, but really, why bother?    

Tillie was an impressive designer and writer, no doubt, and very important in his own right.  But to compare his accomplishments to golf in America to CBM's?  As I said, I am dumbfounded.   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:17:19 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Sean_Tully

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 02:11:50 AM »
 I have always been fascinated by Bendelow and feel that the "18 stakes on a Sunday" deal sells him short. He was a tireless promotor of the game. He ran tournaments. picked the hickory for the shafts of the spaulding clubs, laid out courses, taught a college course on the design of golf courses, and a number of other things for sure.

Here is a sampling of what I have on him.

Sean

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 03:46:49 AM »
David,

Consider what you just wrote when speaking of “inapt” although I would have chosen the word “inept” to better describe your argument.

You stated “Your comparison of their accomplishments of in architecture is inapt.  You always seem to forget that CBM was an Amateur architect who never accepted a penny for his work, and was thus involved in comparatively few courses.   But his few golf courses revolutionized golf course design in America.  Surely you must realize that Tillie and about everyone else benefited immeasurably from his efforts.”

If we are talking about quality of work as well as the quality of that work, what possible difference does it make as to whether he was an “amateur” or a “professional” architect? We’re discussing quality not amount of money made. Sorry to disappoint you, but Tilly’s courses ALSO had a profound impact and definitely revolutionized golf course design in America. The same holds true for how both other architects and players benefited from his designs.   

“Likewise, you further load the deck with your emphasis on "scope" and "longevity."   What sort of longevity do you expect out of a old man who never took a penny to design courses?   How many courses do you expect him to have created?  CBM was an old man in comparison and he stopped designing much earlier.  Do you really expect him to have designed courses in the early 1890s that could host a US Open today?   Is that a realistic expectation?”

David, his having been an “amateur” had NOTHING to do with how many courses he designed. He designed the ones that he wanted to. The fact is that he could have gotten many, many more commissions but chose not to take them. That also means nothing in this comparison. That he chose to do less work than Tilly during the same years that Tilly was working was his decision and shouldn’t be held against Tilly in this comparison. I agree with you. Any courses that he might have designed in the 1890s certainly could not have hosted the U.S. Open today. Then again, courses that he designed AFTER 1911 could have yet how many majors have been held on his courses from and DURING that time period? How many were held on Tillinghast courses during that same time frame? The comparison is ludicrous in Tilly’s favor. That certainly speaks to the QUALITY of Tilly’s designs.

“Your claim that they were "contemporaries" takes more than a little fudging on your part.   CBM designed his first course in America the better part of two decades before Tillie designed his first course. Despite Tillie's self-promotion of Shawnee a few years later, I don't think you'd find too many, other than perhaps Tillie, who would have considered AWT a contemporary of CBM when CBM came up for the concept for NGLA, or when CBM was designing and building it in was designing and building it NGLA in 1906-1909.”

Once again David you completely ignore the facts. CBM and Tilly were contemporaries and the fact is that the VAST majority of courses that CBM worked on were AFTER 1911 when Tilly opened Shawnee. Tilly wrote of “Charlie” as a friend, and equal and… get ready for it… a contemporary. Let’s see, CBM died in 1939 and Tilly in 1942. Sorry, but by your same logic you would not consider Tom Doak with 25+ years designing golf courses, a contemporary of Rees Jones. Go ahead, explain how they aren’t. You can’t because they are and so CBM & Tilly were contemporaneous as designers for the MAJORITY of their careers.

“You claim that CBM's legacy is "singular to architecture."   Have you ever read anything about golf in America pre -1900?  Have you ever heard of the USGA or ever wondered how it got its start?  Check it out, you might find that CBM had a bit to with that.  Doesn't this count for anything?  Have you ever heard of the rules of golf?  CBM wrote them.  At the very least, CBM was one of the most significant of the founders of golf in America, and he had a tremendous impact on golf in the two most important early centers here, Chicago and New York.   Doesn't that count for anything?”

I didn’t mean to downplay his role in the founding of the USGA and the other things within that organization that you cite, rather I was more referring to Tilly’s role as one of the founders of the PGA of America as well as how important his PGA Course Consultation Tour from 1935-37 was in saving the organization without which we would not have the PGA Tour as it is today. In addition, Tilly also worked with the USGA Green Section from its founding and the years following.

“There is more, but really, why bother?” I know you believe that, but there really isn’t. By the way, could you answer this for me? If I am “inapt” in my comparison of their architectural careers, why don’t you use that same phrase with Tom Macwood? After all, he AGREED WITH ME in post #34 when he stated, “If you just look on their individual course resume you might have a point, but CBM's individual accomplishments and overall impact on the game far outweigh Tilly's.”

Imagine that, Tom Macwood agreeing with me! Stating that my statement about Tilly’s resume as a designer surpassed that of CBM! Oh how “INAPT” he must be!

Of course he did provide a list of reasons why he still believes CBM ‘s “individual accomplishments and overall impact on the game FAR OUTWEIGH Tilly’s.” That claim is beyond absurd as well. So let’s deal with it in this one rather long post for this is silly to argue over.

Tom wrote, and I admit that I’ve changed the ORDER of his list so that I can deal with several at a time:

“Founder of Belmont CC, one of the first golf clubs in America. Laid out the first 18-hole course in America. Laid out the first great golf course in America – NGLA. Laid out Lido, which was considered along with PV and NGLA, one of the three great modern designs. Designer of another dozen + top flight early courses.”

These were covered quite well above in my response to David. In addition, there are more than 55 Tillinghast courses that have hosted either major or national championships. NOT 55 majors or national championships, but 55+ DIFFERENT COURSES. (I can’t give the exact number because I am on my laptop and not at my desk on my main computer).
“Won the first US Amateur (runner up two previous unofficial Ams). Competed in the British Am.” Winning the first US Amateur and being runner-up in two others was a big accomplishment. By the way, how many players competed in it and how great was the quality of the field of players? I am NOT degrading his accomplishment by those questions, but rather simply placing the accomplishments listed in a proper historical perspective. For example, one might argue that Tilly’s finish as 2nd low amateur in the 1910 US Open was a bigger accomplishment than either of CBM’s “runner-up in two unofficial amateurs.” Tilly was setting course records as far back as 1898 and winning amateur tournaments into the early teens. Overall the differences in their realistic playing accomplishments weren’t very much. By the way, Tilly was actually scheduled to play in the 1913 British Amateur but decided not to go for unknown reasons.

“One of the founders of the USGA. On the first R&A Rules of Golf Committee (18 years on that committee)” Again, Tilly was one of the founders of the USGA, his role in the 1935-37 PGA Course Consultation Tour and how it both kept the PGA from going bankrupt and also provided an amazing amount of work for numerous architects, course workers and golf professionals at a time when they were all begging for work. On top of that he worked with the USGA Greens Committee from the founding of that and throughout the 1920s. 

“Contributed numerous articles on the game/architecture including his famous article on the ideal golf course.” Sorry Tom, but this is simply plain insulting that you would consider CBM’s writings to even begins to approach Tilly’s. If one accepts that CBM wrote “numerous articles” as you put it, then in that same comparative vein Tilly wrote entire ENCYCLOPEDIAS on every possible aspect of design, golf clubs, fiction, poetry, advice, answering questions as well as being an EDITOR of numerous newspapers and magazines.

“Darwin called him the first great golf architect in America. Often referred to as the Father of American Golf.” That certainly was nice of Darwin to call him that. Then again, who was the editor of Golf Illustrated who declared Tillinghast to be “The Dean of American-Born Architects?”

“Mentor of Raynor & Banks” That he was. Tilly mentored a number of well-known architects from that time period as well, among them Lees and Low.

“Influenced numerous other architects including Tilly, who incorporated CBM prototypes in his early designs.” You are flat out WRONG! Tilly wrote that he completely disagreed with CBM’s design philosophies and that the two often engaged in friendly arguments about it throughout their lifelong friendship. You are flat out wrong on this.

“Author of Scotland's Gift.” A great book. But then again both “Cobble Valley Stories” and “The Mutt” were and still are considering great works of golf writing. I’ll take two books over one…

Now both Tom and David will not be swayed by anything I wrote and that is fine. I respect their belief’s in how high a pedestal they want to place CBM. I only commented on this thread in the beginning because there are a lot of passionate lovers of golf course architecture who can’t understand why golf course architects are continuously overlooked in the recognition of those whose greatness to the game deserve an immortalization of this sort. I once again urge all to DO SOMETHING positive about trying to correct this oversight for all those who deserve to be memorialized.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 06:59:27 AM »
Tilly was one of the founders of the USGA? Please elaborate.

Tilly mentored Lees and Low? Are you familiar with their backgrounds? Please elaborate.

Specifically when did Tilly write that he completely disagreed with CBM’s design philosophies? Wasn't that much later in his career? Did Tilly incorporate CBM prototypes into his early designs?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:36:10 AM by Tom MacWood »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »
Tom,

In my tired state of mind I wrote "USGA" instead of "PGA" which is exactly the opposite of what I wrote earlier in my comments answering David. I wrote, "I didn’t mean to downplay his [CBM] role in the founding of the USGA and the other things within that organization that you cite, rather I was more referring to Tilly’s role as one of the founders of the PGA of America as well as how important his PGA Course Consultation Tour from 1935-37 was in saving the organization without which we would not have the PGA Tour as it is today." That is also why I followed my mistaken "USGA" with, "his role in the 1935-37 PGA Course Consultation Tour and how it both kept the PGA from going bankrupt and also provided an amazing amount of work for numerous architects, course workers and golf professionals at a time when they were all begging for work."

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, I am familiar with their backgrounds. Are you? How else would you describe their working FOR TILLY as construction managers? Tilly aided both of them when they started out on their own. For example, in late November of 1919, Tilly had visited Midwick in Los Angeles. There he designed new greens for them changing them from sand to grass. He contacted Low who was about to go down to his "normal winter work" as a professional in Florida. Low agreed to a contract to oversee the construction of these greens "sight unseen" (from the contemporaneous newspaper accounts of the time) and changed his plans immediately and went out to the coast. Tilly designed grass greens for a number of other California courses that winter and Low stayed and oversaw the construction of them. Low would leave his post at Baltusrol and go out on his own as a designer a short time later.

Tilly wrote of his disagreements with CBM and his design philosophies a number of times and not ONLY late in his career. By the way, why do you ignore that one which you are aware of in which he also clearly states that he disagreed with him and argued with him in a friendly manner throughout their careers? I guess he was just old and rememberring it incorrectly?

"Did Tilly incorporate CBM prototypes into his early designs?" NO! Did Tilly build holes that were of the same type as holes thet TILLY HAD SEEN AND STUDIED DURING HIS OWN TRAVELS TO SCOTLAND from 1895-1901, but not that often. That is why there are few Redans, etc... in his resume of courses. If he had been influenced by and a disciple of CBM as you claim they would be found all over his courses... they aren't. From the very beginning Tilly designed holes based upon what he believed the ground he was working with offered him. He was always his own man with his specific beliefs and philosophies in golf course architecture whichdiffered from CBM's.

Now, how about admitting that CBM's career did not "FAR OUTWEIGH" Tillys? Those are your words and not mine and came after you admitted that "If you just look on their individual course resume you might have a point..." when I wrote that Tilly's course resume was every bit as impressive and in some areas even more so than CBM's.

Again Tom,  my purpose is NOT to debate who was better, more influential or why I believe it so and disagree with you. It is to encourage all on the site to do what they can and speak to whomever they know who might have influence to encourage the "Lifetime Achievement Committee" of the World Golf Hall of Fame to induct the deserving golf course architects who have been overlooked for far too long and that includes Bendelow.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:50:01 AM by Philip Young »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
Can't we just agree that CBM and Tilly were both great architects; that they both deserve to be in the HOF (if you're going to include architects); and that arguing about who was better or more important is a little like arguing about whether [insert names of two actresses/models from time period of your choice] was/is hotter?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
Carl,

I completely agree and so will no longer continue posts in that vein. I really am only interested in seeing if we can motivate those on the board to begin speaking about this issue both privately and publicly and doing what is within their ability that they can. There are far too many architects being lost to time simply because those that should validate their accomplishments haven't...

DMoriarty

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »
David,

Consider what you just wrote when speaking of “inapt” although I would have chosen the word “inept” to better describe your argument.

Thanks for the insult Phillip.  Way to keep it above the belt.

Your incessant drumbeating for AWT is too much, as is your manipulation of the "facts" to support your fluffing. (Comparing years of their deaths as a gauge their periods of contributions? Why not just look at the timing of their contributions?  CBM was much older and his contributions started in the early 1890's.)  

I don't care about quantity of courses designed, nor do I care much about bout how many courses of a designer's courses hosted a major championship, nor do I accept these as barometer's of importance to golf design.   Nor do I care about your misrepresentations regarding CBM's influences on AWT.  (Ever here of the CBM's Cape hole?  AWT certainly had, and he incorporated its principles into many of his designs.)  

What I do care about is impact on the game of golf in the US.  I can think of very few if any who have had the impact CBM had on the game of golf in the US.  And I mean all aspects of the game, from the very introduction of the game here, to the creation of the USGA and the Rules, to the instillation and preservation of many of the Scottish ideals, to the revolution here in the creation of quality golf course design based upon those ideals.   CBM was on the leading edge of all of this.

When it comes to impact on the game of golf as a whole, any such comparison between AWT and CBM is downright silly, and the more you try to justify it by counting courses and aggrandizing AWT's accomplishments, the sillier it gets.   Had CBM never designed a course he still would have done more for the game.  But he did design a course.  A few in fact.  And those courses revolutionized golf design in this country, much to the benefit of AWT and those who followed.

Carl Nichols,

I agree that both were great architects but to limit CBM's accomplishments to his course design is selling CBM well short when it comes to his impact on the evolution of the game in this country.   It would be a little like saying that Thomas Jefferson's greatest contribution to the country was his architecture.

All that said, before Phillip brazenly stated that "it would be a crime if Bendelow made it before Colt or Tilly" and that  AWT should have made it before CBM, and that AWT's legacy to the game "eclipses" CBM's, this thread was supposed to be about Bendelow.  

Returning to the original topic, I don't think we can deny that Bendelow and his contemporaries had a tremendous impact on the game of golf in America, if for no other reason than that they were the "Johnny Appleseeds" of the game, spreading it far and wide and exposing the masses to its pleasures.   Not sure if that makes them great course designers, or if it provides a basis for distinguishing between the various early professionals who were thusly engaged, but it makes them damn important to golf and thus worthy of recognition and further study.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:55:34 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
David,

It is you who went below the belt with your refering to me as you did. please stop the hypocrisy.

Tilly did design a number of Cape holes, but NOT because he was influenced by CBM. He based his own examples of Redans, Capes etc... (and there really aren't as many as you state) on HIS OWN EXPERIENCES playing them, photographing them and DRAWING THEM! He made numerous sketches of holes everywhere he went including on his trips to Scotalnd from 1895-1901.

By the way David, if you had even bothered to actually read what I wrote you would see that I stated that Tilly and CBM should have gone into the Hall of Fame TOGETHER in the first class. You brazenly accuse people of "manipulating the facts" and "changing what others have written" yet that is EXACTLY what you just did. Again, stop the hypocrisy.

Anyway, this is simply you and Tom deciding to argue for the sake of arguing. Enjoy your last word as i'm sure it is coming. This was mine...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:06:14 PM by Philip Young »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Can’t we accept that each contributed to the game in their own way. How can we judge them, what right have we to judge them.

They both gave to the game, but how do we define that one gave more than the other. Yes I expect we can dissect our greats and ask questions, but those questions will just not be answered, certainly not to the degree that some may want.

I find the interesting years in America are from the 1870 to the early 1890’s, as not well documented yet courses were appearing in the USA, certainly down South.

Guys there is more information to learn from the earlier years that have not come to light,from the odd gossip or reference in an old paper.

These guys you are talking about are just some of the greats in our game, let’s give them both the credit they each deserve and remember not to forget the  others including TB

Melvyn
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:09:56 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »
Phil
You obviously don't know Low and Lees' background otherwise you would have never made such idiotic statement. Lees had 25 years of experience prior to meeting Tilly. He was involved in two of the most revolutionary projects in golf architecture history - Royal Mid Surrey and Lido (under JH Taylor and CB Macdonald). He contributed a chapter to HG Hutchinson's Golf Greens and Grrenkeeping (1906), the first book devoted to design, construction and maintenance. Low was involved in renovating Dyker Meadow (a very high profile course at the time) around 1900, and with renovations at Ekwanok, Baltusrol and Miami prior to hooking up with Tilly. Both had more experience than Tilly when the three hooked up, if anyone had influence it was them on him.

Comparing Tilly being in the room when the PGA was formed in 1916 with CBM being a signatory on the original USGA document of formation in 1894 is ludicrous. Comparing the historical importance of the PGA with the that of the USGA is equally ludicrous. Was Tilly ever a member of the PGA, much less an officer of the organization?

I'm sure seeing CBM use prototypes had no impact on Tilly, he came up with the idea on his own, nor did his working with Peter Lees during that time (right after Lido) have any impact.

I believe you are in need of some objectivity and historical perspective.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:30:09 PM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »
David,

It is you who went below the belt with your refering to me as you did. please stop the hypocrisy.

Referring to you as I did? What are you talking about?  Am I not allowed to comment on your claims, and point out my disagreement with them?  Do you even know what "inapt" means?

Tilly did design a number of Cape holes, but NOT because he was influenced by CBM. He based his own examples of Redans, Capes etc... (and there really aren't as many as you state) on HIS OWN EXPERIENCES playing them, photographing them and DRAWING THEM! He made numerous sketches of holes everywhere he went including on his trips to Scotalnd from 1895-1901.

Of course he did.  He probably never even noticed what CBM had done at NGLA, Lido, or Merion.  And I suppose he just happened to come up with the name "Cape Hole" on his own, too?  Independently of CBM?   Yeah, right.  

By the way David, if you had even bothered to actually read what I wrote you would see that I stated that Tilly and CBM should have gone into the Hall of Fame TOGETHER in the first class. You brazenly accuse people of "manipulating the facts" and "changing what others have written" yet that is EXACTLY what you just did. Again, stop the hypocrisy.

I pretty much wrote what you said verbatim.   Besides, your portrayal of the contributions of the two as equal is only slightly less absurd than your claim that AWT's legacy eclipses that of CBM's.  

Anyway, this is simply you and Tom deciding to argue for the sake of arguing. Enjoy your last word as i'm sure it is coming. This was mine...

So I guess then what you wrote above was your last last word?  Will this one soon become your last last word, too?  Thus making your last last word your last last last word?  Pretty soon you'll have more last words that AWT has Championship hosting courses.  I guess that will make you a better poster.  

I can't speak for Tom, but in my case it is the desire to tell it like it is, along with me tiring of you and others constantly trying to build up your heros by diminishing the accomplishments of others.  

Why don't you just let it go, and let this thread be about Bendelow?  Why did you have to throw in that Bendelow shouldn't get in before AWT?  

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:30:03 PM by DMoriarty »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back