News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Great Par-three courses as part of clubs
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
Tom Doak -

I play the Cliffs Course at the Olympic Club 2 or 3 times a month. Many mornings it is pretty much empty. Weekday afternoons, especially Thursdays and Fridays, play picks up quite a bit. On weekend afternoons, the course can get very busy, with many groups of parents and children playing.

DT    

Dan Kelly

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »
Sutton Bay has a fun par three course that is tough - just tees and greens placed in scrubland. It is a nice way to enjoy the twilight of a long summer day.
[/quote6

Or to begin or end a too-short autumn day -- 9 plus 36, or 36 plus 9.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

mike_beene

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
anyone played the one at Shady Oaks?It looks like good land and the fact that Hogan practiced there instead of the range is special.The little course at Pebble is fun but really just a pitch and putt.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
Tom,

Didn't you do a short course or some consultant work on a lighted par 3 at Shawnee?  I thought I read you had some involvement in that.  I may be totally off.  :-)

Tony:  Whoops, forgot about that.  It is really more of a pitch and putt, as with some of the Coore & Crenshaw par-3's ... most of the holes are under 100 yards.  But, you might gather that I didn't spend a lot of personal time on that one.  My associates Don Placek and Eric Iverson did a lot of the work, although the resort finished the last 3-4 holes in house instead of bringing us back.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 10:08:19 PM »
The Little 9 at Shady Oaks is great, there are 8 par 3's and 1 par 4.  Its also neat to see where Hogan used to hit balls. 
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Bart Bradley

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »
Grandfather has an absolutely lovely 18 par 59 course...

Here is my review on GCA.com:  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=45569.0

And my favorite hole:

Bart

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »
Bart:

It looks a bit like one of your pics of Fontainbleu!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:46 AM »
The Little 9 at Shady Oaks is great, there are 8 par 3's and 1 par 4.  Its also neat to see where Hogan used to hit balls. 

I thought I remembered a really short par 4 in the middle of the course.

Anton

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
No problem Tom.  You get a pass on forgetting that one.  :-)

I plan on taking my family up that way this summer to play the par 3 course under the lights.  I have heard it is quite fun for the family.  But on the website they give you full credit for the design so add it to your credentials.   ;D
“I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted”

Rick Phelps

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Tom D.,
Did you spend any time on the par 3 course at Cherry Hills while you were working there?  I haven't been out on it, but have heard that it is a fun track with some great "Maxwell" greens. 

Rick

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 11:36:48 PM »
Tom D.,
Did you spend any time on the par 3 course at Cherry Hills while you were working there?  I haven't been out on it, but have heard that it is a fun track with some great "Maxwell" greens. 

Rick

Rick:

I didn't get out there while we were working.  Eric Iverson says it's pretty difficult, lots of 60- and 80-yard shots to tiny greens with bunkers around them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back