News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Dallas/Fort Worth
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »
Michael,

The time period you are asking about is probably the most volatile time in this region known as tornado alley. You will see it all, hail the size of golf balls, thunder that will shake your house and lightning that will light up the night sky. The wind will howl and the rain will fall. There will also be some very nice warm days to play golf.  Its kind of hard to plan outdoor activities and you will need to be flexible. The weather does change quickly though, it may be beautiful in the morning and then rain like hell in the afternoon.

Enjoy. :)

Jed Peters

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
Michael:

Check your email.

Jed

Carl Nichols

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »
I played Pine Dunes and Tangle Ridge during the last week of March last year and enjoyed both. 

The former is definitely worth a trip if you have the time -- fun layout, good (sand-based) conditions, no housing.  A very good deal. 

The latter--which I played on Jeff Brauer's very helpful suggestion--was also good, with some really good holes, and is also a very good deal.  IIRC, it could've used another couple of weeks to dry out and have the grass grow, and there's some not-super-attractive housing around the course. 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »
The public side has made great strides recently in and around the Dallas area but if one can access the private ones mentioned it will certainly add a good deal more on that side of the equation.

Joe Grasty

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
I live in Carrollton, a Dallas suburb.  I can't help with the private courses, as I've not been on any of them other than Stonebridge Ranch.  The Pete Dye course at Stonebridge is great fun, though, if you can talk your way on.

I like all the Jeff Brauer courses in the area, among them, Indian Creek (Creeks Course), Tangle Ridge, Trails of Frisco, West Ridge, Ridgeview Ranch, and my favorite, Cowboys Golf Club.  Cowboys is a bit pricey without one of their periodic $99 coupons, but that includes all the food and non-alcoholic beverages.

I play Coyote Ridge a lot, but it's not a great course, though well maintained and usually firm and fast.

Try also Tenison Park (Highlands) in Dallas, lots of fun, but very busy.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
When you are talking about DFW weather, don't forget the wind that time of year.  But, as said, there are many great golf days as well.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Go check out Cedar Crest, site of the 27 PGA.

Michael Baldwin

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »
I second the recommendation for Cedar Crest.  It's hard to beat at $27 to walk on the weekend.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »
I second the recommendation for Cedar Crest.  It's hard to beat at $27 to walk on the weekend.

The views are just as good as the ones at Dallas National too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back