News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Are there Dye,Nicklaus.C&C, or Doak templates out there?
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »

Where?

AG

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Are there Dye,Nicklaus.C&C, or Doak templates out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
Anthony,

This has been discussed here before. Coore and Crenshaw have used a boomerang-type green design, wrapping around a little bunker at front centre, on numerous occasions. #8 at Sand Hills and #12 at Chechesse Creek, for example. There are more (drawing a blank). I even think the 5th at Friar's Head, minus the bunker, is a version of this green design.  
jeffmingay.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
Anthony,

This has been discussed here before. Coore and Crenshaw have used a boomerang-type green design, wrapping around a little bunker at front centre, on numerous occasions. #8 at Sand Hills and #12 at Chechesse Creek, for example. There are more (drawing a blank). I even think the 5th at Friar's Head, minus the bunker, is a version of this green design.  

The toilet seet green.But how about holes?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Huh?  :)
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
Anthony,

The toilet seet green.But how about holes?

Anthony:

The green in question has nearly always been deployed on a short par-4 ... 8th at Sand Hills, 5th at Friars Head, back nine at Colorado Golf Club, 2nd at East Hampton, and some others.

Maybe that characterization of the green will embarrass Bill into not using it anymore!

I have built about six Redans and three Eden holes, and three different holes similar to the 13th at Crystal Downs [long par-4 with two-tiered green that falls away].

As for any templates of my own, one of the holes I built at Streamsong is based on the sixth at Pacific Dunes, and so is my redesign of the seventh hole at North Shore C.C.  Guess it's time to put that one out to pasture now.  There are several holes at Streamsong that would make decent templates for somewhere else -- the par-3 fifth, the short par-4 sixth, the par-4 eleventh, the par-4 eighteenth [which is vaguely reminiscent of the 18th at Stonewall, now that I think about it]; but I'd rather come up with a similar number of new potential templates on the next course, instead of reverting to these.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »
I've only played one course by any of these architects.  However, on that course (Renaissance Club) the hole that screms out to be a template is the 10th.  Not the best hole on the course (it's not as good as the two holes that follow) but a great approach shot, made all the better by being a par 5 so it can be a long approach for the player trying to reach in two or a wedge for the more conservative.  From anywhere but the extreme LHS of the fairway the green is hidden by a ridge that runs left to right from front left to back right of the green.  Fade in a long iron/wood or hit your wedge far enough.  The timid wedge or long shot without the right shape is dead.  A great use of the ridge and a hole that demands thought as to how it's played.  It isn't a template but it could (should?) be.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
off topic - better on another thread.
Peter
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:18:21 PM by PPallotta »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »
What is the average number of or total square footage of bunkers on their courses?
 ;D
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back