News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: 2011 Kings Putter - Battle at Bandon
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »
Lou Duran showing his form at Pacific Dunes 12th.

Reef Wilson doing the same.

I had a great time and a big thanks goes out to Bill and other captains for organizing a very successful King's Putter. The camaraderie was second to none and good time was had by all. You know things are good when you get pelted with rain and hail and everyone was still all smiles at the end of the round.

Based on these pics, care to guess who was giving strokes?  Hint: it ain't the tall, athletic bloke with the swing to die for!

Ditto Richard's comments.  It is always a pleasure to renew old acquaintances and make new ones.  Great fun!

Reef Wilson

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
Lou Duran showing his form at Pacific Dunes 12th.

Reef Wilson doing the same.

I had a great time and a big thanks goes out to Bill and other captains for organizing a very successful King's Putter. The camaraderie was second to none and good time was had by all. You know things are good when you get pelted with rain and hail and everyone was still all smiles at the end of the round.

Based on these pics, care to guess who was giving strokes?  Hint: it ain't the tall, athletic bloke with the swing to die for!

Ditto Richard's comments.  It is always a pleasure to renew old acquaintances and make new ones.  Great fun!

Very flattered. Perhaps someday my scores will live up to the first impression my form makes. Great playing with you Lou and a great match.

As other have said it was a wonderful time and the adventurous weather made for a very memorable time. It was a treat to meet and play with so many great gentleman. Look forward to seeing what next year's KP develops into!

Reef

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »
Just to let everyone know a certain 7 handicap from Texas had another eagle at a KP; this time he jarred his second shot to #6 at Trails on Mon. morning. The fact that I didn't subsidize his post round libation for once was indeed considered a sucess! ;)
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Played and felt as good as I looked :P, and that was before any wine. Enjoyed reneweing friendships and starting new ones. Special shout out to BK who got me back, but unfortunately that didn't happen until Monday. And to John Kirk for making an outrageeous bid for the license plate man-cave wall plaque (seen earlier).

BFF Pete (Birdie Free Forever)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »
Just to let everyone know a certain 7 handicap from Texas had another eagle at a KP; this time he jarred his second shot to #6 at Trails on Mon. morning. The fact that I didn't subsidize his post round libation for once was indeed considered a sucess! ;)

Did he buy?

Is that the same guy who complains he's lost his game?!

For everyone who thanked me for organizing, thank you for coming, I had a ball. I had forgotten what a truly first class place Bandon Dunes is. Even in that weather.  :)

And the guys who don't get OM should just relax, that is one great course.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »

Did he buy?

I had to hustle to catch my shuttle to the NB airport, so he was spared again! Not only is his game still good, but he has impecable timing too. 8)
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Lou_Duran

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »

Did he buy?

I had to hustle to catch my shuttle to the NB airport, so he was spared again! Not only is his game still good, but he has impecable timing too. 8)

PeteL,

And here I thought you didn't kiss and tell!  ???  I really didn't whine all that much, but you have to admit, I did hit some God-awful shots.  And unlike many at the KP who had the great excuse of not having played much coming into Bandon, I had been practicing for over two weeks.  All for naught, but we did have an enjoyable time in arguably the best weather of my three trips to Bandon, playing the Trails in 3.5 hours on Monday a.m.

As a world-class cheapskate, my timing has indeed been impeccable at the KP: at Sherwood drinks were included in the price; at Bandon no one was around to celebrate.  I have always found the custom rather strange.  Wouldn't it make more sense for the field to buy the lucky golfer a drink?

In any event, I don't recall Bill McBride buying me a drink after feathering his driver for an ace on Stevinson Ranch's difficult 16th.  And after a glacial round where I lost my cool and match to the irrepressable Thomas of Huckaby, I could have used a stiff one!

BTW, I agree regarding OM.  It's a blast as well as very unusual.  I can't pick a favorite out of the four, though Trails and its bewildering greens has made a very strong impression.  I've played PD some 7-8 times and I've yet to par 17.  In fact, the last three holes, each very strong, make for one of the most vexing, not-so-enjoyable closing stretch in golf.   

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Lou - Congrats on the eagle! Did that come before or after you had a confrontation with the course marshal? Did you really threaten to "spend my money elsewhere" in the future?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
Lou, I bought a round for the house at Stevinson. Where were you?  I was amazed there were guys ordering soda pop; I would have had a single malt!

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »
Let me also thank Bill for setting up a great 3 days of golf and camaraderie and also for my round with him at BD on Friday afternoon. 

By biggest walkaway from this event (not my first trip to Bandon) was what a great quartet of complementary courses they have built.  All are ajoy to play but they remain really distinct.  I'm not sure how I would split ten rounds there, but pretty certain that I'd split eight 2-2-2-2. 

Great meeting so many GCAers there.  If you are on the fence about attending an event, try to make it happen.  The longstanding members were beyond welcoming to us first-timers.

And definitely want to second Will's thought here.  This was my 2nd event ... played in the Dixie Cup in October ... but a lot of new faces for me yet felt instantly welcomed by everyone.  You know you are with kindred spirits when no one complains about the weather.

Thanks to all for some great fun.

John Kirk

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
For your amusement, I thought I would post my ten round breakdown.  I'd play 4 or 5 at Old Macdonald and 3 or 4 at Bandon Trails, leaving one round in ten at the other two courses.  That's because I haven't played the newer courses as much.  What a place!

Congratulations, certain 7 handicapper from Texas.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »
Lou - Congrats on the eagle! Did that come before or after you had a confrontation with the course marshal? Did you really threaten to "spend my money elsewhere" in the future?

Thanks, Mike, but it was all luck as I had a mostly blind shot and didn't even have the pleasure of seeing the ball hit the green.  It was a 9-iron shot that just happened to go in; not executed much differently than several other short irons I hit that either ended up short, long, or in bunkers after veering off the various slopes on the green complexes.  In my three rounds on the Trails, I was in 17 greenside bunkers!

Your round, at Pacific Dunes as I understand, is the one which deserves the accolades.  Thank God you stiffed me on Friday at Bandon Dunes, or I may have dragged you down to my level.

Regarding the so-called "confrontation" with the marshal, the first I heard about it was from David Elvins at dinner on Sunday night who asked me if it was me in our group who had made a marshall cry.  So, for the record, this is the honest-to-God not-so-short version of what actually happened.

As it is painfully known to most participants in these events, us GCAers talk a somewhat different game than we play.  In most cases, the bending of reality is harmless in that it doesn't impact how others enjoy the game (e.g. hopping on carts while proffering that they are the ruination of the game; taking advantage of comp rounds as "guests" of raters while opining that "free" rounds are improper at best, corrupting at its worst; endlessly waxing poetically on the virtues of sophisticated strategies when playing ability is limited to keeping the ball within the correct zip code, etc.).  Slow play, however, is a problem, though at Bandon it was mitigated more so than in past events.

So, with this in mind, my group- the second in the final match at Pacific Dunes, I think- was being "encouraged" (some would say hounded) from the first tee box to play fast and keep up.  I can't think of a single time we got behind, yet, throughout the front nine, we were continually "helped along" by any number of very nice marshalls.  No big deal; I didn't take it personally and actually appreciated that they were trying to move the play forward.

On the 9th tee, again waiting for the group in front of us, I tried to make small talk with a super-senior marshall.  He was mostly dour and  uncommunicative, other than to tell us that we were playing the lower green and to move along.  He then proceeded to stand less than 10' directly behind me, well within my vision and unncecessarily encroaching in my space.  I hit a passable drive to 9-iron distance and made par.  No big deal; no further consideration to what had taken place.

Again waiting on either 10 or 11 tee, another marshall, this one a very young man, comes up to me and says something about the speed-of-play.  Now, among my many faults is the desire to share the "wisdom" of my advanced years (some would say pontificate) with young people, particularly in golf, so I tried to explain to this young man that we are in position, that we've been reminded of the need to keep up throughout the round, and that though the job of marshalling is a difficult one, it required some finesse and discretion.  I then told him what transpired on the 9th tee, and did make a comment that people who come to Bandon and spend $400 to $500 per day may just decide to take their money elsewhere if they feel they're being treated unfairly or disrespectfully.

I stand by what I said, the tone, and the manner I said it.

I did comment to someone in the KP group that I am unlikely to return to Bandon in the Spring, but, so long as the resort doesn't go crazy with the rates (they are already higher than my comfort zone, but the courses are that good), I'd likely come back some day in the early fall.

My foursome that morning included Reef Wilson, Mike Hendren, and Richard Choi.  If they have anything to add (or subtract) from my comments, they may do so without fear of incurring my wrath (as if that strikes fear in anyone).

And that is the end of story.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:18:00 PM by Lou_Duran »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
I was sitting in the clubhouse at PD. There were five groups off before the Kings Putterers. The first played in 4:01. The fifth played in 4:32. Its hard to play fast with slower groups in front.

Dan Grossman

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
Lou - I share your frustration with the marshalls.  I was at Bandon in January over MLK weekend.  The marshals seemed to be ever present, but focused on the wrong things.

5 of us played an afternoon round at OM where we teed off at about 1pm and were hustling to finish the round before dark.  The weather was HORRIBLE (raining non-stop and blowing 25 mph) and we were about the only people on the course.  We teed off as a 2 some and a 3 some.  When we got to #8, we decided to play as a 5 since there wasn't anyone out there.  The marshall "found" us on #17 and got somewhat upset with us, despite the fact that it impacted absolutely no one.

The next day on Pac Dunes in the afternoon (worse weather), the marshall tried to talk us out of finishing while we were teeing off on #9.  He was indicating that we would never finish in time due to darkness.  We did finish without issue, we think he just wanted to go home since the course was deserted (due to weather).

The next morning, we had 3 groups teeing off in the morning at B Trails.  For some reason, there was a "random" group slotted between our first and second group, with the third immediately following the second.  We teed off on #1 and played out.  By the time we were walking down #4 fairway to our tee shots, the group following us (the random group) was just walking off #3 tee!  they continued to fall even farther behind and were 2 to 3 holes out of position.  Of course, when our second group behind these folks complained to the marshall, the marshall indicated that they were on pace and wasn't prepared to give them a warning. Our group played in 4 hours and it took the group behind us almost 5, it was atrocious.

Richard Choi

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
I will vouch for Lou that he addressed the issue in most calm and respectful manner. He also commended another marshall for discreetly telling us to move along (we were never really far behind from the group in front and we had to wait frequently at the tee).

I hardly noticed the marshalls as I was busy with my errant drives most of the times. But I think it is a pretty good rule that marshall should stay out of the tee box when players are teeing off.

Mike Benham

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »

Brushtee Rich -

You didn't get a chance to play with Pete, he was armed and ready for your game with his own assortment of Martini tees:

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Richard Choi

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2011, 03:41:24 PM »
Only an animal would use a Martini tee...

Mike Benham

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »

The difference between the best and worst course at Bandon is pretty slim, in my book.  I think sometimes we tend to underrate at least one of the courses.  Playing them under tournament conditions, or least friendly match conditions with pride at stake, was both fun and demanding.  I was tired for...wait a minute, still tired because of grinding so hard.

Anyone that has had the pleasure of playing golf with John, knows that he is exceedingly thoughtful with course strategy and shot selection, and pretty darn successful at execution of the shot. 

A very competitive match, and the winner of the Best Player Born in Menlo Park / Palo Alto between Sept 1958 and Jan 1959 is still not settled.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:25:44 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Matt Bosela

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »

The difference between the best and worst course at Bandon is pretty slim, in my book.  I think sometimes we tend to underrate at least one of the courses.  Playing them under tournament conditions, or least friendly match conditions with pride at stake, was both fun and demanding.  I was tired for...wait a minute, still tired because of grinding so hard.

Anyone that has had the pleasure of playing golf with John, knows that he is exceedingly thoughtful with course strategy and shot selection, and pretty darn successful at execution of the shot.  

A very competitive match, and the winner of the Best Player Born in Menlo Park / Palo Alto between Sept 1958 and Jan 1959 is still not settled.

Great photos Mike.

I had the pleasure of playing two rounds with John and was on the losing end of both.  One of the highlights of the week for me was watching the great interplay between John and his good friend Kelly (shown in the photos above), who acted as his caddy for the event.  They'd discuss the club and shot trajectory and almost without fail, John would pull it off.

It was truly fun to watch.  I'll add more about my experience a bit later...I've been struggling to find time since getting back...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:33:32 PM by Matt Bosela »

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
"A very competitive match, and the winner of the Best Player Born in Menlo Park / Palo Alto between Sept 1958 and Jan 1959 is still not settled."

No overtime?

You could have used "best looking Born in Menlo Park / Palo Alto between Sept 1958 and Jan 1959 " as a tiebreaker.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:51 AM »
Lou - evidently your marshaling "student" was unappreciative of your efforts on his behalf. It seems your seminar was shared down the marshaling line to not so glowing reviews.  ;D

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2011, 01:00:36 PM »
Rich Goodale is back to musing at http://richmusings.blogspot.com/

Lou_Duran

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »
Lou - evidently your marshaling "student" was unappreciative of your efforts on his behalf. It seems your seminar was shared down the marshaling line to not so glowing reviews.  ;D

As they say, no good deed should go unpunished.  Bandon might try being more careful with who they place in contact with its customers.

E.g.- I watched a waitress go apoplectic in near tears when one of our guys left breakfast without signing his bill (I had her put it on mine which calmed her down).  I saw a starter nearly have a stroke because our group was not ready to go on time- problem was that the resort misplaced our third's golf clubs and weren't there when he was.  I was met at check-in on Friday with a stern admonition that I was expected the night before, and when I replied that I could provide E-Mails verifying my date of arrival, it took some time (and no apology) for the receptionist to get my account straightened out.

I do appreciate you bringing this matter to everyone's attention.  In its brevity and being on-point, it seems that yours was the better 'seminar' and I will be a good student by keeping my propensity to tell in-check going forward.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2011, 08:44:42 PM »
Here are a few KP IX shots from my own personal collection...

Santodomingo, Jenkins and Choi on the 14th hole at Bandon Crossings

Choi on Bandon Crossings bench

Duran, Zuckerman and Fleisher teeeing of at Bandon Trails

One of the coolest benches on the planet, on the walk between the 2nd and 3rd holes at Bandon Trails
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

By biggest walkaway from this event (not my first trip to Bandon) was what a great quartet of complementary courses they have built.  All are ajoy to play but they remain really distinct.  I'm not sure how I would split ten rounds there, but pretty certain that I'd split eight 2-2-2-2.  

I totally agree.   Secondarily, my belief that Bandon Dunes is a notch below the other three courses was confirmed.    I was pleasantly surprised by the support I heard for Bandon Trails which I believe to be the equal of Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald.  I would split 10 rounds 3-3-3-1 with Bandon Dunes serving as a warm-up.  I hope to back up my opinion with more details when time permits.

Kindest regards,

Brushy
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:36:36 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back