News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

It's been years since I've played there.  I used to go on an annual golf trip with a bunch of fun guys back in the day.  We always enjoyed ourselves, but I can't say that I remember much about the courses we played at Innisbrook.  EXCEPT the Copperhead course, which was always a great test of golf.  Watching the Transitions Championship this weekend on television, I'm reminded what an excellent Florida golf course it is.  Larry Packard is the architect who laid it out, but we never talk him up here abouts. 

I'm no architect and not really a player, so here's a quote from Jerry Pate, who is both of those things, from Yahoo Sports:

Many Tour players regard The Copperhead course at Innisbrook Resort as one of their favorite courses on Tour. It is a very well-routed and strategized golf course that fits comfortably into its site. That is why it is so well-received.

Larry Packard, a landscape architect by education and early professional experience, originally laid out the Innisbrook Resort master plan and the Copperhead Course in the early 1970's. Packard's experience in landscape architecture led him to believe in the economical and efficient creation of spaces for human interaction. This core value carried over into his prolific golf course architecture career. Packard designed or renovated approximately 200 courses.

The economically planned Innisbrook Resort and its Copperhead Course are perhaps the crowning achievements of Packard's career. The resort incorporates the clustered development of condominiums throughout the development. This planning technique allows for fewer roads, a smaller network of utilities, and less impact on the natural landscape. The result is less development and operational costs, and a more open and pleasing landscape to experience. The golf course is exceptionally routed to maximize the subtle natural landforms. The features were gently shaped into the topography with curvilinear, free-flowing lines. Nothing was over-created or over-dramatized to wow golf course raters or to create a spectacular photograph for a magazine cover.

It is a shame that during golf development's boom over the last thirty years we -- golf industry professionals, developers, and the golfing public -- tended to glorify the dramatic, the expensive, and the over-built courses instead of the beautifully and honestly crafted courses such as Larry Packard's Copperhead Course at Innisbrook.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

Copperhead is a very good Florida golf course with some nice holes. I played it a couple times when on a golf trip about ten years ago. I can see why the pros like it so much... Everything is right on front of you in terms of strategy.
H.P.S.

Gary Slatter

i got to play it for 3 weeks a few years ago, loved the course.  Forces you to play a shot off every tee, you can't just bomb it.
Glad to see the resort has new management.  Great place to stay and play on your way to World Woods.  Better condition in the spring and summer.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Matt_Ward

Terry:

What I really loved about the course was that it was nicely set-off the main hwy - believe it's Rte 19. Once you get away from that beehive of frantic activity the golf dimension is quite good. Innisbrook has more of a NC-look than FL.

mike_beene

it looks hilly for Florida.I saw a lot more mid to long irons used than most weeks on tour.Also  it doesn't drag the water in to play too much.

Matthew Rose

It certainly doesn't look all that Florida, which in my mind isn't all bad.

This course is interesting in that the water seems to be used as more of a driving hazard, perhaps a strategic hazard, than your run of the mill course. I see a lot of lakes framing the corners of doglegs but I don't see huge lakes fronting the greens, save for one par-3 on the back.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Terry Lavin

I read somewhere that Larry Packard is still alive and kicking at age 98.  Both he and his designs have some real longevity!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back