News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bradley Anderson

Rackham Golf Club, Detroit Park District
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »

About 20 Detroit area supers have been getting together from time to time to talk turf, play golf, and enjoy the camaraderie. In our foresome we had Me, Dan Dingman from Grosse Ile,  John Cooney Tam O' Shanter, and Brian Schweihofer from Franklin. This month we played Rackham. WOW what a  great golf course!

Ross drawing in the club house. The first 5 holes were moved to make room for highway expansion.

Note the diagonal routing. Here we have a level rectangular piece of property on a north-south east-west axis. So if you route holes diagonally on this property you are really maximizing the effects of light and wind, and you never get the sense that you are playing in parallel hole corridors.

The terrain is fairly level.

John Cooney in fine form hitting from 3 tee.

Six green, which we all felt was probably original.

Taken from 7 tee. Typical of the trees at Rackham. This was the only hole that I felt the tree corridor was a little tight for what the hole offers in terms of options.

On 7 we begin to encounter our first of many center-line hazards. These gotta be original - but if this was a country club they would have all been taken out right?

Eight green. A really cool par three, elevated green with subtle contours.

The clubhouse in the distance - built by Albert Kahn.

The original greens are round and fairly simple; the internal contours are not at all bold like Oakland Hills or Grosse Ile, but very fun to play. This green (number 9) might have been rebuilt but it seemed to be original. The angle of the fairway definitely changed as nine fairway is now in what was once the driving range. That's right, in 1923 Ross designed a grass practice range on a public course.  :)

My favorite green on the course was number 12. From the fairway it looks like a small target but there is plenty of green to work with.

Many of the tees are at ground level. I love these kinds of tees that are basically part of the original grade.

Looking back at 14 green. Placed on a hillside and the grade of the green follows the hill pretty close. Look at how firm and fast the fairways are playing. You gotta get out and play this course to see the ball bounce and roll. Adam Hosler, the superintendent has this course playing just perfect.

Another cool center line bunker with a high lip placed just before the summit of a slight ridge. This section of the course is where you get the most terrain change. The Detroit Zoo is just off to the side of this hole. One of the things I love about these center line hazards is they obscure your view of where the ball lands. You hit your shot beyond the hazard and you don't see it land. So there is some element of surprise with this kind of feature.

Longish par three with center line fairway hazards that are laid out on a formal line. I don't think I have ever seen Ross lay out something this formal? Again, if this was a private club these probably would have been removed a long time ago.

Look at how the bunkers are in pyramid formation. Very cool hole.

The par five finishing hole to an uphill green guarded by trees.

And then we went to Memphis Smoke for ribs and beers, where we were joined by the distinguished Dr. Vargas.
Adam Hosler, our host superintendent is in the orange shirt.
Dr. Frank and Dr. Crum played on the course with us, and Dr. Frank was clearly the top player of the day.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:11:34 AM by Bradley Anderson »

Tom_Doak

Re: Rackham Golf Club, Detroit Park District
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
Bradley, 

What has happened at Grosse Ile ?  This spring it was rumored to be closing.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
Brad - you had it right at some point - I just looked through the pictures you put up.  Never thought I'd see Rackham featured on here.  I've spent a lot of time out there through the years.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
Bradley, 

What has happened at Grosse Ile ?  This spring it was rumored to be closing.

Grosse Ile is alive and well.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 11:40:50 PM »
Tom - That is a shocking rumor about Grosse Isle that I have never heard before and I am guessing, hoping, praying that you were (uncharacteristically) misinformed.

What a great group!  Franklin Hills, Essex (Ontario; scene of what I think might be the greatest Canadian Open of my lifetime); Grosse Isle... etc. ...  Along with Detroit Golf Club, Oakland Hills, Barton Hills, and Dearborn CC; Detroit is to Donald Ross as Westchester County is to Tillinghast.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 11:50:37 PM »
These are some very good pictures and some superb (and rather charitable) descriptions of Rackham.  I could not possibly count the number of rounds I played there as a kid.  It was where I broke 80 for the first time.  It is tremendously sad that they lost 1, 2, 3 and 9 (substantially) to the I-696 expansion.  The gorgeous old club house, if properly restored, would be even more of a gem than what is left of the course.

I communicated with Geoff Shackelford, who had been asked (I think by both sides!?!) to be a litigation expert when they threatened the closure and destruction of this little parkland jewel.  Geoff turned everyone down, but faithfully used his cyber-pulpit to advocate for the course.  I'm not sure if he ever had a chance to visit it.  He will no doubt enjoy these pictures.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »
For Chuck and the rest in the know - how highly regarded would this course be among its SE Michigan contemporaries (Franklin, etc.) had 696 not altered the course?  I am a native Michigander but have not played this course and am very intrigued.  Nice pictures!

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 01:51:32 AM »
It looks like I need to see Rackham again - its been a LONG time.  The course looks in good nick if these very good pix are any indication.  Any pix of the non-Ross holes?

Folks tell me that Grosse Ile is doing okay.  Sure, its a bit of a struggle, but things aren't dire by any means.  Which one is Dan Dingman?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mike Boehm

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 09:04:13 AM »
For Chuck and the rest in the know - how highly regarded would this course be among its SE Michigan contemporaries (Franklin, etc.) had 696 not altered the course?  I am a native Michigander but have not played this course and am very intrigued.  Nice pictures!

I never played it in its original confirguation, so I cannot directly comment.  But, it was well regarded enough that it hosted the USGA Publinks back in the 1960's.  I believe in addition to 696 altering the routing, the course also has been effected by varius bouts of Dutch Elm disease taking most of the substantial trees away from the course. You can, and I have, hit it anywhere at Rackham, and you're going to be just fine.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 10:04:47 AM »

I never played it in its original confirguation, so I cannot directly comment.  But, it was well regarded enough that it hosted the USGA Publinks back in the 1960's.  I believe in addition to 696 altering the routing, the course also has been effected by varius bouts of Dutch Elm disease taking most of the substantial trees away from the course. You can, and I have, hit it anywhere at Rackham, and you're going to be just fine.

Mike is completely correct.

The I-696 expansion robbed the course of a better sense of space, and the greatest hole loss, if my memory is correct was the 9th hole, which was a fine mid-length par four.  1 was a straightaway par 4 of modest interst and 2 was a shortish dogleg 4.  1 and 2 were not the best holes; they were among those most harmed by the loss of some of the 50 year-old elms.

Duncan Betts

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:25 AM »
thanks for the excellent thread.

While researching courses to play on my end of year trip to Detroit, this thread came up in a google search!

I'll be putting this down as one of the courses to play, and more importantly - another piece of Albert Kahn architecture to admire  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back