News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Giles Payne

I just spotted this -

http://tinyurl.com/6kews77

With all the talk of speeding up the game and making it more attractive for youngsters, do you think that this a way forward? Should we give added value to birdies and eagles or is pure stroke play the only way?

David Harshbarger

Re: Here's one for traditionalists - do you think it will take off?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »
Playing 9....good.
Double pins....eh, maybe.

For kids, I think US Kids Golf has it right.  Focus on Fun and Play.  Put in short tee markers so that they and adult beginners have an official course at 1100 or 1900 a 9.  And again, play and have fun.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Adam Lawrence

Re: Here's one for traditionalists - do you think it will take off?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »
Powerplay has been around for a few years (I know the guys involved) and was relaunched in a blaze of publicity on Wednesday after a big new investment.

I think it's a great TV format for professional golf. But as a format for regular golfers I can't see it. When the overwhelming majority of players are just overjoyed to be on the green in regulation, then what's the point of the black flag? Too random.

Although if it takes off at pro level then I think there's a good GCA angle - to get good spots for the black flags you need interesting greens.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back