News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Jansen

Portmarnock
« on: March 11, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
I am looking to help out a good friend with some advice... he is looking to play Portmarnock during a stay in Dublin.  The day he can play they are hosting a member event on the championship course but was offered a round on another corse they have ... I believe he mentioned it as the the Blue 9 holes and Gold 9 holes (something like that). 

Has anybody had the experience of playing these and whether they are worth the time... or should he look to other courses in the area.

Thanks again.

David_Tepper

Re: Portmarnock
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »
He should probably look to find another course, perhaps the Island, a bit further north of Dublin than Portmarnock.

http://www.theislandgolfclub.com/

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:48:57 PM »
I agree with David.  Another alternative is Royal Dublin, which is very close to downtown Dublin but IMHO not as good as the Island. 

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
The Gold 9 is the third nine, played it a couple of weeks ago. It's enjoyable.

I'm not sure which of the other nines is the Blue 9 but it's one of the nines on the main course, so he'll enjoy those as well.

So he's getting one of the nines from the main course and the third nine, so it's definitely worth his time.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:40:05 PM »
The Island is the most enjoyable course around Dublin.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:35:26 AM »
As Padraig says, the Blue is the back nine of the main course with some of the better known holes (14 & 15 especially) whilst the Yellow is the third nine which is arguably of the same quality as the other two nines, if slightly less balanced in routing and scale. It does have some of the best holes on the links though: The 2nd (which was the original 6th on the main course) and the 6th are cracking par-4's whilst the 4th is the only genuine driveable short 4 in the 27 with the added bonus of some rare big dunes... The only thing letting down the yellow nine is the last couple of holes and then only a little...

The Island is an enjoyable round and a very good course. It has high dunes and some quirk. It has some weak points also. If you are playing dunes courses the rest of your trip, Portmarnock would offer an alternative version of links golf but you can't go wrong with either. The Island has some fantastic holes.

Jim McCann

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:00:51 AM »
Mike:

I'm surprised nobody has nominated Portmarnock Hotel & Golf Links as an alternative venue.

The Top100golfcourses website actually ranks it higher than either The Island or Royal Dublin
and you will part with a green fee substantially lower than that charged to play the other two.

It's also right next door to the 27 holes at Portrmarnock and is an excellent test of links golf.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »
If I were to choose I'd play the suggested 9s at Portmanock, the Island, Protmaenock Hotel, Royal Duvlin in that order. Regardless what you choose you will have an enjoyable day. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:44 AM »
I agree with Jim.  The course at the Links Hotel is very good. One of the most underrated links and a great value.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
The back nine at the main course is definitely worth a play.  Portmarnock exceeded all expectations from a golf perspective.  The jets were tiresome but what a great experience. 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
Mike,

One more option is The European Club about 50 minutes south of Dublin.  I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned it yet given that The Island probably about a 30 min drive from Dublin.

Mark

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »
I really liked Portmarnock and would play there.
There is a stretch of excellent holes on the back that are a must see.

If he has the time:

The Island Club is one of my absolute favourites anywhere.
It's close by and there are some magical short fours on that course.

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 10:51:12 PM »
Mike,

One more option is The European Club about 50 minutes south of Dublin.  I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned it yet given that The Island probably about a 30 min drive from Dublin.

Mark

IMO anyone willing to drive from Dublin to Brittas Bay to play TEC really ought to spend the same time heading north to Drogheda to play County Louth instead (and then enjoy a nice dinner with the 60-70 euros they've saved).

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 12:53:48 AM »
I think the Island or Royal Dublin are reasonable local alternatives. However neither are in the same league or even close with Portmarnock. I like County Louth an easy hour up the road. The truth is redo your trip and find another time to come through dublin for Portmarnock is a special course.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »
It's been about ten years since I've been to the Dublin area and as a result I can't really remember specifics about the courses I played, just 'general impressions.'  I remembered loving TEC.  Does it not get love from the GCA community?

Mark

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
Mark,

It's one of the few top courses that gets strong feelings of many colours on here.

An exploration of that polarising nature could be interesting if we could ever keep the bloody thread on topic (which I strongly suspect we couldn't :)).

I will only say that for experiencing what I feel to be authentic links golf - the shots, the uneven lies, the ground conditions etc - Baltray is IMO a better choice than TEC.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 10:19:08 PM »
Sorry Scott, but Baltray is which course?

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
Sorry Scott, but Baltray is which course?

Baltray is County Louth GC.

The Island is one of my favorite courses in Ireland, probably becuase it was my first course just off the plane in 1990 and the members treated us like royalty. A more recent visit 2 years ago  revealed a still fun (though in many ways on the front nine changed) course but a very different experience with the modern large American style clubhouse.

I was really impressed with the Portmarnock Links course--it was the biggest surprise on my trip to Ireland 2 years ago. Some very solid golf holes, especially on the back nine.

If it was my call I'd play The Island or Portmarnock Links and see Portrmarnock GC in full on another trip.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Daryl David

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 12:30:42 AM »
This is a tough one.  I love the Island, but if your friend only has the chance for one round in Dublin area, I would do the Yellow and Blue nines at Portmarnock.  The blue is the strongest of the three 9s and the yellow is a lot of fun.  There are a couple of holes that could easily supplant ones on the Red.  The combination of the golf and getting to visit such a wonderful club as Portmarnoch just barely nudges out the Island in my book.

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
It's been about ten years since I've been to the Dublin area and as a result I can't really remember specifics about the courses I played, just 'general impressions.'  I remembered loving TEC.  Does it not get love from the GCA community?

Mark

Mark

Scott applied for a country membership and is still waiting to hear.(insert one of those winking emoticons)

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back