News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: BARNBOUGLE DUNES: A hole-by hole pictorial!!! (12th hole posted)
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2011, 12:02:09 AM »
If you tire of playing approach shots to this green you're tired of golf.

Terry Thornton - our very own Samuel Johnson!

Kyle: The second of three great short par fours? I thought it was the third great short par four we've encountered by this point in the round?

Quite right. I stand corrected.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Leo Barber

Re: BARNBOUGLE DUNES: A hole-by hole pictorial!!! (11th hole posted)
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2011, 04:06:15 AM »
In my two rounds at Barnbougle in December, I was in the perfect place to hit the big fade 3-wood with my trusty old persimmon club.  The first time, I knocked it about 15 feet from the hole.  The second, I cut it just a hair more, and thought it was even better ... and I never found the ball!  It must have gotten just off the green to the right and down into an animal hole or something.  The grass wasn't really that thick, I could not believe I lost it when I thought I'd have an eagle putt.

Tom,

On one occasion whilst playing the 11th, one of our four "lost" a cleanly hit drive to the middle of the fairway - clearly observed by all in the group.  After the trip I was reading the excellent Barnbougle Dunes story "the beginnings".  In the last paragraph on pg 19 the following is written which may offer some explanation for the loss of apparently perfectly hit shots on this hole in particular.

"While working alongside the eleventh hole, countless balls were hit in the direction of the fairway, only to be quickly confiscated by neighbouring crows.  If your tee shot on the eleventh should meet the same fate, follow the birds to their hiding place and you are sure to discover a stash of hundreds of shiney Titleists"

Kyle Henderson

Re: BARNBOUGLE DUNES: A hole-by hole pictorial!!! (13th hole posted)
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
13th hole overview

The first par 3 of the back side plays downhill with the prevailing breeze and allows for shots that land short and run onto the green. My first attempt of this shot hit the flag stick before coming to rest 6 inches past the hole. My second attempt, just a yard left of my first, fed more than 40 feet away from the hole.

From ground level, the overall back-to-front slope of the green is apparent.

Upon closer inspection, one can perceive the enthralling/harrowing slopes set to challenge their flat stick aptitude. As relayed to our pantheon by the owner, Tom Doak’s inspiration for this putting surface was the notorious (NLE) MacKenzie green at Sitwell Park.

Even after reaching the green, it’s a steep hike to this devilish back pin position (note where balls tend to collect low and left).

Looking across the green from the right side, one can see several options for accessing the various hole location possibilities.

Do not miss long!!!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:48:35 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Benny Hillard

Re: BARNBOUGLE DUNES: A hole-by hole pictorial!!! (12th hole posted)
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
Awesome Pics Kyle.

I love this green.
Everytime I've played barny we always seem to spend extra time on this green messing around.
I like the many different pin positions here and with the use of the surrounding slopes this can be a very exciting hole to watch.

I wonder if anyone dislikes this green and why?
I am a massive fan.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »
All I will say is it was a fun putt from the front of the green to the back rightish area where the pin was placed on that Friday morning.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of downhill par 3's, but without question this one's pretty cool.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Scott Warren

« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »

That pretty much sums this hole up for me!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »
Really Scott?

Scott Warren

« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:54 PM »
Yeah, loved it. Looking at pics before the trip, it's one green I wondered if I might find it a bit over the top, but I thought it was genius.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
OK, thought the face meant you did not like it. If you had two or more like this, it would be over the top. But BD may be the only place that TD gets to build one like this. Plus, it is a McKenzie template..so you have to love it!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:39:17 PM by Bill Brightly »

Scott Warren

« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »
Sorry, that pic is a screen grab from the (perhaps not as universally well-known as I thought) Lonely Island song called Jizz In My Pants! So yeah, I loved it.

I agree completely that there is only room for one green like that on a course, just like there can be only one Alpha Male in a tribe!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
We played it with a back pin, and I accidently overclubbed, hung it right, and then shut my mouth as the ball rolled way right up the hill, then back towards the pin, broke left just inside the edge of the back bunker... disappeared for a while on the back right tier, then reappeared on the crest of the huge swale, and headed for the hole, missing the cup by inches!  My playing partners were yelling and screaming! On the replay, I asked my partner what he was hitting, told him to add one and aim way right...he doubted me but I insisted. Exact same thing happened!

A green that reminds you that golf is a game.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:01:33 PM by Bill Brightly »

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2011, 10:41:38 PM »
guys, I also love this green for not only the fascinating putts away from the 'obvious' target line, but also the number of different shots you can play and can be played by your fourball.

BUT

I would be interested to hear a little more from the DG about WHY you can only have one green of this type in 18 holes - Sitwell's was the Home hole, why coulnd't there be four greens in this style (but different) scattered throughout the routing?
I would have thought that the group here would agree that there is more than one at Ballyneal?

To me the important requirement for this type of green, is that there are smaller zones within the larger green total, at least after one or two plays, the golfer on the tee can then make a decision on what shot type to select to give the best opportunity to get closest to this pin.

for this green in particular, if the pin is either back right or back centre, I am generally quite confident that from almost anywhere on the putting surface, a two putt is easily achievable.
@theflatsticker

Bill Brightly

« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
First of all, the DG needs to know that Brett is one crazy Australian that thinks he can find alternative routes to almost any pin if there is enough slope for him to work with...I watched him shoot away from the pin several times at Lost Farm and laughed when the ball finally started heading back to the cup like he planned...So while I do not doubt Brett can two putt from anywhere, I sure would struggle on many long putts from the "wrong" section.

But Brett, the mounds that define the segments on this green are SO severe. I bet a significant % of non CGA geeks think this green is goofy. It is so unusual, I just don't think the golfing public would accept 4 of these... Doak certainly is known for tremendous movement on the greens, but this has to be at the top of his "wild" list (for lack of a better word.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:59:28 PM by Bill Brightly »

Mark_F

« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
I would be interested to hear a little more from the DG about WHY you can only have one green of this type in 18 holes -

Brett,

There are four iterations of this hole at B Dunes.  The second is like a cut-off version of it, and 10 and 17 have so many bumps in the putting surface they are a scaled down version of it.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:51 PM »
Mark - I agree, 5 has some flavour as well, and it is fun to watch putts trying to get over back and left ridges on 15 also.

- So why do people say glad "there is only one green like this" - "you can only have one green like this on a course"
?
@theflatsticker

Mark_F

« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »
Mark - I agree, 5 has some flavour as well, and it is fun to watch putts trying to get over back and left ridges on 15 also.

- So why do people say glad "there is only one green like this" - "you can only have one green like this on a course"
?

Brett,

Simple variety, and variety of demand.

Ballyneal would be an interesting creature to have a look at - If all - most? - of the greens have so many rolling contours, wouldn't that get a little tired?

As much as I defend the 3rd and 9th greens at St Andrews Beach, one of each of them is enough.  It's as much fun trying to conquer greens like the 4th, 5th or 8th there, or the 3rd and 6th at B Dunes.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
There have to be people on this board who don't like that green because it is too quirky and sometimes leaves you with an impossible shot.  Speak up, men.  I know that Mike Keiser doesn't like it much; you can take his side in our debate.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
There have to be people on this board who don't like that green because it is too quirky and sometimes leaves you with an impossible shot.  Speak up, men.  I know that Mike Keiser doesn't like it much; you can take his side in our debate.

Funny statement from a guy who has said in the past that there's always a way to get the ball to the hole on that green.  Or am I confusing your comments on this hole with those you made about the 4th at Lost Dunes.

Count me on the "love" side.  The back ledge pin placement is brilliant, as was the middle right pin on Sunday.  Any hole that asks for you to use your imagination is a winner.  I would imagine a front pin when its blowing down wind would be a tough play, most likely leaving a devilish slider from the back of the green.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »

?

Brett,

Simple variety, and variety of demand.

Ballyneal would be an interesting creature to have a look at - If all - most? - of the greens have so many rolling contours, wouldn't that get a little tired?

As much as I defend the 3rd and 9th greens at St Andrews Beach, one of each of them is enough.  It's as much fun trying to conquer greens like the 4th, 5th or 8th there, or the 3rd and 6th at B Dunes.

Ballyneal has a handful of "knarly" greens.

The 6th is small and approached from a longs ways out, yet still features some big internal undulations and falls away drastically at the front and flanks.

The 7th, with its famous “E” shape, is sloped considerably from left to right (spine to fingers), with the rear finger much higher than the front.

The 8th is also tiered and has a hump that must be traversed between the short left and long right sections. Anything off line can easily feed off of the green.

The 12th is split into four sections, each of which gathers shot to the respective hole locations, if one makes a decent attempt. Poor attempts will often find the player putting again from nearly as far as their first putt.

Finally, the 15th green is cambered heavily from right to left, with lots of internal ripples.

Barnbougle’s greens are more “tame” overall, but an excellent balance of challenge and forgiveness can be found on both courses.

For the record, Ballyneal is still my favorite course, and Barnbougle Dunes is nearly as good.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:37:30 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

Re: BARNBOUGLE DUNES: A hole-by hole pictorial!!! (14th hole posted)
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
14th hole overview

A reachable par 5 with wind, the 14th takes golfers to the most easterly point on the golf course. The diagonal carry from the tee is longest down the starboard side.

Long drives can run past the foursome seen ahead and be caught up on the rough-covered mound beyond...

...while bold drives down the right side will open up the green for a long approach attempt.

The inland side of the 14th hole hosts this lovely and distinctly Tasmanian lagoon.

Players that cannot reach the green in two must be careful not to put their second shot into the marram grasses along the left.

The spacious green is open to running shots.

After putting out, take a minute to peer across the estuary at Lost Farm’s 5th green. This would be a good place to spend an hour or two with an easel and some oil paints, for those so inclined.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:59:21 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2011, 03:05:02 AM »
This hole always takes a beating in people's reports on the course, but I have always really liked the tee shot.  It tempts you to drive too far to the right ... if you choose the line where you just barely make the carry, you may well roll out of the fairway to the right.  And if you play safely to the left, you may well go through the fairway into the bunker or other troubles on the far side.  But if you pull it off, you have a chance to knock it on in two.  I think I hit a 7-iron into the green on my last try with the typical westerly wind at our backs.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2011, 03:24:58 AM »
Sitting, as we speak, in the Lost Farms restaurant looking out over a setting sun on this wonderful complex.  Played Dunes today and tip my hat (deeply) to Tom and clan for a complete grand slam.  Enjoyed it even more over the last time I was here 4 years ago.

Lost Farms tomorrow and the day after.

Not sure of my exect geography but a question for all.  Dig a hole from Bandon Dunes Oregon through the center of the earth and out the other side, what do you have??  Bandon Dunes, Tasmania!

Barnbougle is becoming more and more like Bandon.  That may change greatly if Richard S. decides to let Greg or Jack build the third course here on the exposed sand bluff.  I hope Keiser talks Richard into a more thoughtful designer (Weiskopf?  Ogilvy/Clayton? Urbina?).  How about the first Doak/Coore collorborative effort.  Richard just laughs when I press him.

All in the treehouse should try to get here.  It may well best most everything on our planet including the greats in Ireland and Scotland.

JC

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »
Tom,

Now you tell us!  ???   When I played it last year with a howling tail wind, I took the tiger line down the right only to find the ball in the scruff right with some really nice little trees around.  Those bunkers sure seemed to be calling out, saying: hit it over here and challenge me, challenge me and you'll be rewarded.  Sadly it was a siren song.  The green was well within reach, if I'd had a lie and a swing.  Nice subtlety.

This hole always takes a beating in people's reports on the course, but I have always really liked the tee shot.  It tempts you to drive too far to the right ... if you choose the line where you just barely make the carry, you may well roll out of the fairway to the right.  And if you play safely to the left, you may well go through the fairway into the bunker or other troubles on the far side.  But if you pull it off, you have a chance to knock it on in two.  I think I hit a 7-iron into the green on my last try with the typical westerly wind at our backs.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »
Thought off the tee it setup pretty well to the eye.  Both for the immediate ridge of bunkers and then into the green for the approach.  Pretty cool.  I liked how the hole turns and then comes back up.  Feels a little double dog.  Just good topography here.  Liked the approach too eventhough I didn't do too well on this one. 

The driver has to be dead on here, and if you're not feeling it ... much better to go 3W given the risks of an off driver.  Unfortunately, in my book going 3W off the tee on a par 5 just feels lame.  So although it tempts ... it can be punishing even if you don't take the aggressive line.  Personally, I would have liked to have seen a little more of an opening to the left fairway for those not inclined to challenge but would still like to use driver.  I think if you try to be safe to the left with driver ... you're still liable to get into deep doodoo.  At least that's what I observed from several players during our 3 rounds. 

You also get a good look at the 15th's landing areas about 1/2 of the way down the fairway, which gives you an opportunity to see what the blind approach from the left will look like.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Scott Warren

« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
I saw plenty of tee shots here wind up in the exposed sand dune on the left, about 30 metres past the bunker, and of those balls I don't remember too many making par.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back