News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Another Introduction...
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Mark Saltzman and after years of reading the boards on GCA, I am excited to begin contributing.  I am a stock trader from Toronto, Canada, a 2 index and a proud new GW rater (does that mean I have people who don't like me already?).

I am a member at Bigwin Island GC (Lake of Bays, Canada), National Pines GC (Barrie, Canada) and the CC at Mirasol (Palm Beach Gardens, FL).

Seems like the thing to do is to list my top 25 played (in no particular order), so here goes:
Merion
Oakmont
Victoria National
Pete Dye GC
Harbour Town
Pasatiempo
Sea Island (Seaside)
Kiawah (Ocean)
Wolf Run (Indiana)
Cascata
Bethpage (Black)
Bandon Dunes
Pacific Dunes
Walton Heath (Old)
Sunningdale (Old)
North Berwick
TOC
Carnoustie
Royal Aberdeen
Old Head
RCD
Waterville
Lahinch
PGA Catalunya (Spain)
Barona Creek
Pebble
Bigwin Island (my home course)

...and I must admit I played these courses before I developed any interest in course architecture, but when I played them, I just didn't get why they were considered to be so great (a few more CGA'ers likely won't like me now)...

Aronimink GC
Medinah (No. 3)
Cataraqui GC (Kingston, Canada)
Valderrama

Anyways,

Hello All!

JR Potts

Re: Another Introduction...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
Yes, it means that I don't like you....not because I may or may not be affiliated with a course on the list....I just think that anyone who starts off their first post with a slam of any golf course is a douche.

Welcome.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
Ryan, sorry.  Obviously not the response I was hoping to get after years of following the site.  I meant no offence.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »
Welcome.  Hopefully your intro gets a little more love than mine.  Glad to know there is someone else who doesn't see what all the hype about medinah three is

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
Welcome Mark

What are you favorite courses in Ontario?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »
Welcome!

You deserve a better welcome than found thus far.

JR Potts

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Welcome.  Hopefully your intro gets a little more love than mine.  Glad to know there is someone else who doesn't see what all the hype about medinah three is
...says the other guy who decided that it would garner him attention by coming on here and bashing golf courses for his first post.....

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »
Welcome Mark

What are you favorite courses in Ontario?

Hi Ryan,

My favorites are probably the obvious one.  Essex in Windsor, St. George's, The National, Bigwin Island, Muskoka Bay... and a couple of lesser known ones... Mad River Club, Wyndance, National Pines, Tarandowah (sort of a favorite) and Osprey Valley.
N.B. I haven't played too many of the classic privates in Toronto, but I presume they would be on my list

Matt Bosela

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »
From one Ontario native to another, welcome!

Ancaster is notable for its absence on your list - have you not had the pleasure yet or are you not a fan?

Bigwin Island is a heck of a lot of fun and likely one of the great golf experiences in our country.  Does one ever get tired of that gorgeous view off the 6th tee?  I could stay there for hours hitting balls and watching them fall out of the sky. 

Enjoy the site!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
I am not familiar with Ancaster.  Are you referring to Hamilton GC? If so, I have not played it but hear only great things. The only other course I know in Ancaster is Heron Point, which I like but wouldn't rank it among my favorites.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:09:07 PM »
Welcome!

Don't forget Redtail!

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »
Yes, it means that I don't like you....not because I may or may not be affiliated with a course on the list....I just think that anyone who starts off their first post with a slam of any golf course is a douche.

Welcome.

Where did he "slam" any golf course?  He said there were a few courses he didn't like but that he played them before he had any real understanding of golf course architecture.

When is he allowed to share his thoughts on a particular golf course?  His second post?  Third post?  Or maybe you just have thin skin and can't believe someone would have a different opinion than you. 

I assure you that anyone who jumps on someone's introduction thread and overreacts to their feelings about golf courses IS a douche.

Mark,

Welcome. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »
Perfect - then our feeling are aligned as I've always thought that people trolling this site for access are douches.

And yes, I usually try to get to know the people Im talking to, develop some credibility and get the feel for a group before I come out and potentially alienate  the members of a group on the first post (especially since he's acknowledged what he was doing numerous times in said post) then again, that's just me.  And, given the number and content of direct messages I've received, I'm not alone.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:56:36 AM by Ryan Potts »

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
My guess is you wouldn't care at all about his introductory post were you not a member of one of the courses he admitted to not caring for prior to any understanding of golf course architecture.  What is also interesting is that not liking a golf course that you like would "alienate him" from the "members of the group."  Are your opinions the standard for GCA.com?  Is it possible for two people to be friends and disagree on whether a golf course is good?  Do your friends know that your relationship with them is so absolute that they must agree with you on all things or run the risk of being alienated?

Congratulations on not being alone though, it must feel good to carry the flag for such a strong, silent minority.....

Mark,

You are not alienated from this group.  You are welcome and you are welcome to disagree with anyone on whether a golf course is good or not.  MOST of us enjoy hearing about people's opinions, whether they be the same or different.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JR Potts

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »
No, my issue is with this site degrading into what is now a hybrid of access-whoring and attention-whoring.  Who in the world starts their own thread and as their first post takes a (admittedly) critical and (admittedly) ignorant opinion of any golf course?  I can tell you who - two guys in the last week who I've called out.  I would call out anyone who does that whether it is a course I'm affiliated with or not.  It's bad form and certainly a strange way to make an introduction.  Some of those courses, including one I'm affiliated with, certainly yields itself to a lot of criticism and I think we've had numerous debates about it.  

And I think we all know that my comment that "I don't like you" was tongue in cheek....the douche comment is to be determined.

And Brian - it was an introduction thread - it wasn't a debate thread.

I'll be done now - good luck to all and I hope the newbies enjoy the site.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:49:25 AM by Ryan Potts »

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
Welcome to the site, Mark. Too bad you won't get one of Tom Paul's wild wild west welcomes because they're always good for a chuckle no matter if you've read that line once or 100 times. I suppose I could cut and past here, but it really needs to come from him for full effect. Check your PM in a minute.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »
welcome Mark: when I saw your name I thought you were the pro from Scotland.

Bigwin and National Pines - do you live north of Toronto?   I have not played the new Bigwin Inn courses, I sure was a fan of the old Bigwin Course.  Managed to play it 68 times one season when I worked on the island.  I enjoyed playing National Pines the first few years that it was open, good mixture of challenges. 
Medinah, Cataraqui and Valderama - I enjoyed playing them all, more than some people.

Mad River was a great course the day it opened - then they started to "improve" it by replacing bent with rye ("easier to chip") and other little things.  To me it has 15 really good holes and a few not so great, the uphill portion 13 to 15 were a strain.  Did you play Mad River through your work?  We used to get a lot from TSE there.

all the best from another hoser!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »
Welcome, don't let others passionate defenses stop you from sharing your thoughts at any time.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back