News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Naugler

Introduction...
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
Hello!

I just wanted to introduce myself to the board. My name is Stewart "Stu" Naugler and I have been a lurker since 2000. I'm a third generation golf course superintendent and fairly good amateur golfer. My dad made it to the sweet 16 in the Michigan Am and my grandpa qualified for a few major tournaments. I hope to follow in their footsteps but being a golf course superintendent hasn't been the best decision for my game.

I'm set to graduate from Michigan State's turfgrass program at the end of this month. I worked several years as an assistant superintendent before entering turf school and I recently completed an internship at the Cypress Point Club. I also had the privilege of working at the U.S. Open this past summer, along with a few other major championships over the years.

I have an endless collection of pictures from Cypress, Pebble, Oakland Hills, and just about every top club in Michigan.

I'm currently interviewing for a handful of assistant superintendent positions at top 100 clubs across the country. My ideal location is Chicago but I'm willing to move just about anywhere for the right position.

I look forward to sharing ideas and building relationships!

Top ten played-

1. Cypress
2. Pine Valley
3. San Fran Golf Club
4. Chicago Golf Club
5. Crystal Downs
6. Shore Acres
7. Mountain Lake
8. Valley Club
9. LA North (after recent renovation)
10. Oakland Hill South (difficulty)

My favorite architects are Raynor and MacKenzie. I spend much of my free time reading GCA books and studying old pictures/slides of golf courses.

Thanks, Stu

(attempted to insert some pictures but the icon didn't work)

Bill_McBride

Re: Introduction...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
Hello!

I just wanted to introduce myself to the board. My name is Stewart "Stu" Naugler and I have been a lurker since 2000. I'm a third generation golf course superintendent and fairly good amateur golfer. My dad made it to the sweet 16 in the Michigan Am and my grandpa qualified for a few major tournaments. I hope to follow in their footsteps but being a golf course superintendent hasn't been the best decision for my game.

I'm set to graduate from Michigan State's turfgrass program at the end of this month. I worked several years as an assistant superintendent before entering turf school and I recently completed an internship at the Cypress Point Club. I also had the privilege of working at the U.S. Open this past summer, along with a few other major championships over the years.

I have an endless collection of pictures from Cypress, Pebble, Oakland Hills, and just about every top club in Michigan.

I'm currently interviewing for a handful of assistant superintendent positions at top 100 clubs across the country. My ideal location is Chicago but I'm willing to move just about anywhere for the right position.

I look forward to sharing ideas and building relationships!

Top ten played-

1. Cypress
2. Pine Valley
3. San Fran Golf Club
4. Chicago Golf Club
5. Crystal Downs
6. Shore Acres
7. Mountain Lake
8. Valley Club
9. LA North (after recent renovation)
10. Oakland Hill South (difficulty)

My favorite architects are Raynor and MacKenzie. I spend much of my free time reading GCA books and studying old pictures/slides of golf courses.

Thanks, Stu

(attempted to insert some pictures but the icon didn't work)

Welcome Stu! 

It's all downhill after Cypress Point.  That's a nice list of favorite courses.

What do Chicago superintendents do between December 1 and February 28?

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
Thanks!

After December 1st you will find me working on equipment, preparing budgets, and doing other small prep jobs. My dad uses the winter months to relax, rethink, and refresh. After 40 years on the job he probably deserves to take it easy! Plus winter is the ONLY time we take family vacations.

-Stu

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »

Stu......Get ready for the "can you get me on.........".

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »
Welcome, Stu

You can get the pictures up by typing after. That's an impressive list, what was your take on playing LACC after the renovation?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 05:22:37 PM »
A warm-ish welcome from the west side of the state, Stu. I spent a few hours with your Dad doing association stuff a few years ago. I'm no longer a super....trying to find my way as a shaper. That may be an indication of my intelligence, by the way.

Welcome.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Welcome Stu! You already have a resume many of us dream about! :)

H.P.S.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
Welcome to the treehouse Stu! I look forward to your opinion on courses from a Super's perspective combined with your impressive best played list and also being around championship venues during some big tournaments. To me it sounds like a knockout GCAer's resume.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:28:03 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Joe- Ask me in ten years and I'll have a better answer for you! I'm guessing you made the best decision for you. I know I would love to get into the construction end of the business someday...

I look forward to meeting you if you still attend our association meetings! Do you know Bathum and Tedhams over there on the west side?

Alex- I will post some more thoughts on LA North once I get home tonight. The renovation was truly one of the best I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:44:05 PM by SNaugler »

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
Hi Stu & welcome.  I'm new here too.

Met a few supers last year traveling the world and a couple northern hemisphere guys had done exchanges down under for a couple of months during summers which seemed like a cool idea.

Enjoy GCA!

Michael
@Pure_Golf

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »
Thanks again guys!

This is a test to see if I can post photos...

The doctor's masterpiece....

The heart and soul of the point-

The beauty that attracts people to the point-

I basically have 20 different views of every hole. Let me know if you'd like to see anything in particular!

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:08:36 PM by SNaugler »

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
welcome Stu....if I understnad correctly, you are currently a Chicagoan, as am I

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:40 PM »
Alex- I was stunned when I first saw the newly renovated North course. I played it once as a teenager and then again just after the renovation. The difference is remarkable! Gill Hanse and Jim Wagner really got it right. I love Tom Doak's work, C&C, Smyers, but I'd have a hard time not recommending Gill for a major renovation project (depending on who the original architect is). Mr. Hanse took the course back in time and now it really has that Thomas classic feel to it. They reworked a few holes but the feature I love the most is the bunkers. The bunkers have a classic natural rugged look to them now. Which makes the course flow much better into the natural terrain. With the agronomic improvements Russ Myers made and the added length, I believe this course is ready to host a U.S. Open.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
Paul- I'm hoping to be a Chicagoan soon! I was born and raised in the suburbs of Detroit. I currently live in East Lansing, MI but I hope to join my girlfriend in Chicago very soon.

JR Potts

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
You looking anywhere in particular in Chicago?

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
Ryan- Yes I'm down to two clubs in the Chicago area. I probably shouldn't post details until after I hear back from them. The interview process went really well and I will know on Wednesday if I got my top choice. I was looking for clubs that are hosting major national tournaments in the next five years.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »
I was just offered my dream job this morning! I will let you guys know once everything's confirmed.

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »
Another Spartan success story.  Stu, congratulations on your current and future success.  If there is anything this fellow alum can do for you, don't hesitate to ask.  As a heads up, Joe Hancock is really smart, he just doesn't look like it.... :)

Go Green.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
I was just offered my dream job this morning! I will let you guys know once everything's confirmed.

Congrats Stu, looking forward to hearing the story. Also be careful when dealing with your fellow alum JC. He's known to do all sorts of weird things on the golf course like cause sparks to fly.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
Hahaha thanks guys!!!

Us Spartans have to stick together! Let me know if you want to catch a game or get a quick 18 in!

I truly appreciate it!

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »

Congrats Stu, looking forward to hearing the story. Also be careful when dealing with your fellow alum JC. He's known to do all sorts of weird things on the golf course like cause sparks to fly.

The only sparks flying when I play are between the cart girl and me.

Stu, will you be gone by July?  I'm from Okemos originally and will be back visiting family then.  I've not played Akers in 5 years and I want to have a reason to play there again to confirm that it still sucks!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Richard Choi

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
Welcome. Now GTFO my court!

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
Hahahaha akers!! I've broken par on east just about every time I've played it (no big accomplishment... trust me). I will be in Chicago by April 1st, but I would love to catch a round in Chicago or just about anywhere you'd like in Michigan on a weekend.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »
I promised myself I wouldn't talk MSU/UofM sports on this board Richard. I do love how UofM grads are basketball fans all the sudden (my girlfriend is a UofM grad....). See you on the football field!

Thanks!

JC Jones

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
Stu,

It never ceases to amaze me how 2 wins and the same record in the Big Ten for the first time in 15 years has somehow changed the last 30+ years of our program's dominance and yet 3 years and a better record in the Big Ten in football has done nothing to "close the gap."  If being as good as Michigan State's worst year in 15 years is considered a "great" year for UofM then I feel better about our program than I did before this year.

The only thing Richard has going for him is that unlike 99% of Michigan fans, he actually went there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back