News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Starting Thurs., 8/18/10 - Get To Know Martin Toal
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 05:06:37 AM »
Tony - I know you know but... in my opinion:

Aside from Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Christy O'Connor Jnr,  the two most well known golf architects in the eyes of the Irish public are (by a distance) Pat Ruddy and Eddie Hackett.

Jeff Howes, Harry Colt and Alister MacKenzie would probably come in tied sixth, a long way back.

As for George having his eyes set on me, I'd rather achieve something tangible before laying myself open to the vultures.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 05:36:28 AM »
Martin,

Did Keith Wood play too much like a back and not do enough of the dirty work expected of a hooker?

Will tell me you’re joking.  I understand Keith is now a confirmed golfer and should you ever meet him on the links – well let’s just say I think you’re lucky he is always a gentleman OFF the Rugby field.

Martin good to see you posting on here.  My grandfather was from Cookstown and no doubt when you were a student you helped keep the family solvent with the odd purchase from Tohill’s.

Have you played Malone and Royal Belfast and  Belvoir?  You could make a case for some of Colts finest work being in Northern Ireland if you include Portrush and RCD.

[/quote]

Martin,

Keith Wood's wife and in laws are good friends of my family. My golf club had a get together one Boxing Day a few years ago and Woody was playing behind me I was walking down 18 and he hit hit drive off the 17, which was parallel to the 18th, nearly hit my head. I mockingly had a go at him for nearly killing me! He thought I was being serious and his father in law was pissing himself laughing! Great bloke though.

I have a collection of Scotty Cameron putters - 4 of them and am looking at selling them. A Newport ie3, A Santa Fe (both gun metal and over 10 years old), a mallet and futura putter.

Have you played Kncok Golf Club in Belfast - one of my mates used to play there and I have just recently heard they are moving to a new course and 9 holes are to be lost for housing development.

Portrush or County Down?

Cheers
Ben

Martin Toal

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010, 05:49:17 AM »

Martin,

Keith Wood's wife and in laws are good friends of my family. My golf club had a get together one Boxing Day a few years ago and Woody was playing behind me I was walking down 18 and he hit hit drive off the 17, which was parallel to the 18th, nearly hit my head. I mockingly had a go at him for nearly killing me! He thought I was being serious and his father in law was pissing himself laughing! Great bloke though.

I have a collection of Scotty Cameron putters - 4 of them and am looking at selling them. A Newport ie3, A Santa Fe (both gun metal and over 10 years old), a mallet and futura putter.

Have you played Kncok Golf Club in Belfast - one of my mates used to play there and I have just recently heard they are moving to a new course and 9 holes are to be lost for housing development.

Portrush or County Down?

Cheers
Ben

Ben

I would happily play either, but RCD is my favourite course on the planet.

I have played Knock, but it was a long time ago, no more recent than about 1992. I worked for 2 years in Castle Buildings next door and had an office overlooking the hole that runs alongside the road between the two. I am not surprised it is being taken over for housing. It is pretty prime real estate. 

If you have some original Camerons, you will sell them easily enough, even if they show a bit of wear and tear. The TeI3 with the logo on the sole (1996 model) is worth more than the one with the logo on the face.

Scott Warren

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »
Martin,

Is the sole stamp one also the one without elastomer around the insert?

Martin Toal

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2010, 06:19:37 AM »
Martin,

No. The TeI3 logo was on the sole of the putter originally. Then Scotty Cameron noticed that on TV that was an omission, so it was switched to the face of the putter where it was more visible. I think all the elastomer insert putters are face stamped.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 06:46:44 AM »
Martin,

No. The TeI3 logo was on the sole of the putter originally. Then Scotty Cameron noticed that on TV that was an omission, so it was switched to the face of the putter where it was more visible. I think all the elastomer insert putters are face stamped.

Martin

I have had a look for the teI3 putter in my garage albeit a bit rusty. I have the one with the copper like elastomer with the teI3 logo left of it. I remember there was a later version with a white band around the elastomer insert. This is like the Antiques Roadshow  ;D what impact would that have on the price of my SC? The Santa Fe was purchased at a similar time.

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:25:14 AM by Ben Stephens »

Martin Toal

Re: Starting Thurs., 8/18/10 - Get To Know Martin Toal New
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
Here is the intro Martin sent me, I think you'll find it very interesting.

About 2 weeks ago, I went to my doctor with problems breathing which had been getting worse for a few weeks, and I was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy - basically my left ventricle is buggered, as we say over here. I am now waiting to see if modern pharmaceuticals will do me a good turn or not. I really hope they do. I had been in the US a couple of weeks before seeing the doctor and struggled with the de-oxygenation of the pressurised cabin, so I may not be travelling long haul again. We'll see. For the time being any local golf needs careful planning and good luck. I played on Sunday and a few of the hills were hard going. I will give up before I rely on a buggy.

Just a quick update for my GCA buddies.

Now more then 6 months after being diagnosed, things have improved rather nicely. I was diagnosed in August, and in November, as part of the workup, had an angiogram. That was an interesting experience and not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. Better still, the cardiologist observed an improvement in the old ticker while performing the procedure, and my arteries proved to have survived my Irish diet.

Now a further 4 months on, the old ticker has improved further, to the point of being more or less normal. The cardiologist was very pleased and speculated that this may have been an acute event which has now passed.

So, no excuse for bad golf this summer.

Regards and thanks to those who sent me get well messages. They worked!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:35:26 AM by Martin Toal »

George Pazin

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »
Congrats on the good news, Martin, thanks for updating everyone.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back