News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: golf vs. life
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »

In both it is good to score.

Anthony

BCrosby

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
Calling Dr. Katz. Dr. Katz, please pick up the white phone. Calling Dr. Katz.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »
Life ain't supposed to be fun.  As for golf, that is personal choice.  It can either be fun or misery...we individually make that choice each time we play.

Do you think that we individually make the choice to have fun with life each time we "play" or live a day?

Travis...maybe I need to think about this some more.  You will note that my original post answers your question.  And that answer is, no...life ain't supposed to be fun.  I believe we are sentenced to painful toil all the days of our lives.  So, based on this my initial reaction was, life ain't supposed to be fun.  But then I got to thinking, hey...aren't we supposed to rejoice in our sufferings because suffering produces perserverance; perserverance, character; and character, hope.  So, maybe we can strive to enjoy our painful toil and have "fun" with it.  Enjoy the journey, I suppose.  

Looks like I've got a lot of work to do on my daily life outlook.  Thanks Travis...as if I didn't have enough on my plate.  :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Walker

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 10:02:45 PM »
Travis, my good man and Phish fan.  Good God.

If golf is not fun, pick up a new activity!  There's thousands of things you could be doing with your time besides not having fun.

And if life is not fun, please go get some help.  Fun is simply a decision away.

Don't over think this!

That said, a good start for you would be to not compare golf and life, although my wife has often occused me of taking golf almost as seriously as life--but thankfully have never been accused of not having fun with either.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
Golf is supposed to be fun
Life is supposed to be fun

Why do we have fun at neither?

I have fun at both, but that's because golf is an indelible part of my life!

And I'm glad to see other Phish phans aboard!!  Listening to NYE right now!!!!  Halloween next!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
Fun is simply a decision away.

Exactly.

Stop being a miserable sod and don't take life (or golf) so seriously. People who make the decision to put a smile on their faces generally have fun.

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »
if you spend too much time deciding if you are having fun it won't be.People make this journey interesting.In proverbs or one of the books right by it ...vanity of vanities,all is vanity. but it sure is an interesting time to be alive.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 11:09:06 PM »
Apropos of nothing I figured I'd post the following paragraph (the first paragraph of chapter 1) in the book The Soul of Golf by P. A. Vaille.

NEARLY every one who writes about a game essays to prove that it is similar to "the great game, the game of life." Golf has not escaped; and numberless scribes in endeavouring to account for the fascination of golf have used the old threadbare tale. As a matter of fact, golf is about as unlike the game of life as any game could well be. As played now it has come to be almost an exact science, and everybody knows exactly what one is trying to do. This would not be mistaken for a description of the game of life. In that game a man may be hopelessly "off the line," buried "in the rough," or badly "bunkered," and nobody be the wiser. It is not so in golf. There is no double life here. All is open, and every one knows what the player is striving for. The least deflection from his line, and the onlooker knows he did not mean it. It is seen instantly. In that other game it may remain unseen for years, for ever.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

John Kirk

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »
Drawn in once again.

I suppose there are people who can be happy by simply "acting as if" they are happy.  There is some evidence to suggest this works.  But isn't it a bit presumptuous to suggest that this works for everyone?  Feigning happiness in lieu of the real thing seems a dishonest way to live.  Life has emotions, some happy, some sad.  I want it all.

Golf is a game that is best played.  Think about how an animal plays, setting itself into the "play" position.  The dog, ears erect, leaning forward with shoulders hunched, ready for its master to throw the ball.  The cat, twitching its legs with its nose forward, whiskers splayed and ears down, ready to pounce.

Golf has limitations as a game, played alone with a stationary opponent, the golf course, so the opportunities for playful interaction are limited.  Etiquette takes some of the fun away as well, transforming a game into formalized battle.

My dad was always in motion before a shot; at least one part of his body was in movement, a personal dance that took place before each shot.  It's a nice way to play the game.  I'm playful by trying different shots, and not concentrating on score every time.  Golf will never be as fun as ones where you chase a ball, or play together with companions; it just doesn't offer that kind of excitement.  Nevertheless, lay back your ears, crouch down to the ball in the play position, make your little dance and swing it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:28:36 AM by John Kirk »

John Kirk

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 12:23:43 AM »

....cause you worry to much about scores?...

Pretty funny.

Numbers are fun.

Ben Sims

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 04:12:58 AM »
That which you manifest is before you.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 07:25:47 AM »
Both are supposed to be full of ups and downs, fun and challenges aren't they? Both are certainly not easy all the time but I'll be damned if I'm not going to have fun along the way......
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 07:30:36 AM »
Anyone that plays golf but doesn't have fun doing so is wasting part of their life.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
Travis, my good man and Phish fan.  Good God.

If golf is not fun, pick up a new activity!  There's thousands of things you could be doing with your time besides not having fun.

And if life is not fun, please go get some help.  Fun is simply a decision away.

Don't over think this!

That said, a good start for you would be to not compare golf and life, although my wife has often occused me of taking golf almost as seriously as life--but thankfully have never been accused of not having fun with either.
Thanks guys,

Been playing since I could walk, beein livin since I could breathe. Been having fun at both for awhile - but naturally there have always been times where I need to work hard to stay afloat and happy at both. But hey, I'm breathin at the end of the day.

Nice! I liked the nye show but I'm deep into the oldschool never listen to anything past 2000 (which is rather snobish i know, but i have been listening to some 2010 and the 1/1/11 shows - cause they finally started to bring it!)

check 8/13/1997 from Star Lake Ampitheatre, Pa. First set is a crazy dance-fest 19 minute Gumob, a 150 since last played bust out of the Talking Heads cover CrossEyed and Painless. And a crazy second set with a scortchin ghost->Izabella

Travis Dewire

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
Apropos of nothing I figured I'd post the following paragraph (the first paragraph of chapter 1) in the book The Soul of Golf by P. A. Vaille.

NEARLY every one who writes about a game essays to prove that it is similar to "the great game, the game of life." Golf has not escaped; and numberless scribes in endeavouring to account for the fascination of golf have used the old threadbare tale. As a matter of fact, golf is about as unlike the game of life as any game could well be. As played now it has come to be almost an exact science, and everybody knows exactly what one is trying to do. This would not be mistaken for a description of the game of life. In that game a man may be hopelessly "off the line," buried "in the rough," or badly "bunkered," and nobody be the wiser. It is not so in golf. There is no double life here. All is open, and every one knows what the player is striving for. The least deflection from his line, and the onlooker knows he did not mean it. It is seen instantly. In that other game it may remain unseen for years, for ever.

Do you believe that quote?

I completely disagree with what he is saying

Travis Dewire

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 08:59:13 AM »
Drawn in once again.

I suppose there are people who can be happy by simply "acting as if" they are happy.  There is some evidence to suggest this works.  But isn't it a bit presumptuous to suggest that this works for everyone?  Feigning happiness in lieu of the real thing seems a dishonest way to live.  Life has emotions, some happy, some sad.  I want it all.

Golf is a game that is best played.  Think about how an animal plays, setting itself into the "play" position.  The dog, ears erect, leaning forward with shoulders hunched, ready for its master to throw the ball.  The cat, twitching its legs with its nose forward, whiskers splayed and ears down, ready to pounce.

Golf has limitations as a game, played alone with a stationary opponent, the golf course, so the opportunities for playful interaction are limited.  Etiquette takes some of the fun away as well, transforming a game into formalized battle.

My dad was always in motion before a shot; at least one part of his body was in movement, a personal dance that took place before each shot.  It's a nice way to play the game.  I'm playful by trying different shots, and not concentrating on score every time.  Golf will never be as fun as ones where you chase a ball, or play together with companions; it just doesn't offer that kind of excitement.  Nevertheless, lay back your ears, crouch down to the ball in the play position, make your little dance and swing it.

John,

You enjoy nature a lot correct? And the beautiful landscape that a golf course can provide seemingly never breaking from the indigenous forests from around it? Even by yourself going playing golf, you wouldn't have fun out there, in THAT?

I would be prettttttty happy to be able to go out and hit different shots like you, not even worrying about score. I played in college, and I have played maybe 5 rounds in the last 3 years - you guys really dont know what you have untill its gone. Quit for awhile and stay away - then you can tell me its not fun. But for me, I've been having more fun off the golf course with golf, than I was having on the course with golf, at the time I began to hang up the sticks from competition. I like your dad's swinging motion before he hit. Sure seems like a great way to relax onesself before executing the shot

I totally totally agree about the animal quote. We are biologically progammed animals after all, and the instinct of "play" is too difficult for the human consciousness to grasp. I was reading a Max behr article on the site and this is the quote:
"The actual opponent in golf is nature, the human opponent being merely a psychological hazard" - I think this is very very true.
In Bobby Jones biography by Keeler - he frequently, frequently, mentions how Bobby, in match play, took awhile to learn that he was playing, still against old man par, and not his opponent.

I do not think it is presumption to say that we make ourselfs happy. How else are you happy? Because you have done this today, you own this car, live in this part of the country, are in this position in life, etc. When everything is stripped away, what is left? You, yourself, and the Self. Relying on external attachments to find happiness, willl not be long lasting. True happiness is found within. What do you think John?

Trav

John Kirk

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
Travis,

I think you are misinterpreting my comments, almost as if you expect that I am not having fun.  Fun and happiness and play are all a bit different.

Golf is not a very playful game, but it is fun and it brings joy and happiness to those who play it.  I dismiss the notion that human beings don't have the instinct to play.  Personally, my knees and ankles are too tender and brittle for me to be as physically playful as I'd like to be.  I'll stand by my comment that golf resembles more of a test, a formalized form of battle, than other games, and this has limitations in the amount of joy it can bring.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
I disagree with the premise.

Life is not about being happy, but rather about being good.

Golf is not about being good, but rather about being happy.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »

Do you believe that quote?

I completely disagree with what he is saying

I don't necessarily agree with it, but your reaction is fascinating. Would you be willing to write a rebuttal to it? BTW, it was published in about 1905-ish
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mac Plumart

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:12 AM »

Bogey

Bogey...I agree with you on this.  I wonder if people who are experiencing dissatisfaction with life (or golf) have it backwards.  Just wondering.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »
There is a growing school of thought--with which I am coming to agree--that the reason golf is not fun is that we play the wrong tees.  When it is calculated, the Tour pros are at least 1300 yards longer for a whole round than the average amateur.  Therefore, when we play at 6800 yards that equates to 8000+ for the pros--and they probably wouldn't have much fun at that distance either.  One of the  joys of golf is having a reasonable birdie putt, and I would argue that at the yardage that most of us play, we have too few birdie puts in a round.
Of course, there's more to golf than just that--camaraderie, the joy of nature, some exercise, etc.  But getting the right yardage for play can enhance all that.  I think the dumbest comment that anyone can make about golf is to head to the back tees, "so we can play all the course." 

John Kirk

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »

Bogey

What?  We have to talk.  Define good.  When you say good, do you mean righteous, or successful?  If you mean righteous, define righteous.  Once again, I'd ask the reader to devolve a bit, and see how other animals behave, because humans tend to complicate things.

There's a problem with this thread, because life is everything, so much more than "supposed to be fun."  Golf, on the other hand, is supposed to be fun.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »

Both are pretty much what you make of it.  If one is an utopian searching for cosmic justice, he will be disappointed.  Most of us know people who have the world handed them in a platter and are consistently miserable.  Many of us also know individuals who seem to have a bullseye painted on their back- modern day Jobs- who take all that life throws at them in stride and are a joy to be around.  It is hard to be a malcontent and enjoy anything, particularly golf.  Ed Foreman and Zig Zigler have much to say on this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1eVSWtZYM    

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
Calling Dr. Katz. Dr. Katz, please pick up the white phone. Calling Dr. Katz.

I believe he hangs out in the Lounge these days.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Adam Clayman

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
I'd replace Bogey's "good" with Decent.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back