News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Chambers Bay - Project Updates
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »
Put me in the camp as "Like" for that new bunker on 18.

Its a short par 5 as it is, why not put a little extra something something in there to spice it up.

P.S.  I'm guessing at least a handful of pros will find it in the Open after hitting a wayward tee shot and forced to layup.

Commie, ;)

Short par 5? 604 is not short in the PNW no matter what time of year.

In Kalen's round there, he hit a 4 iron 3rd shot to a pin in a bowl that allowed his ball to roll close enough for him to birdie. How is a par 5 with a 4 iron third a short par 5? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »

Its a short par 5 as it is, why not put a little extra something something in there to spice it up.

P.S.  I'm guessing at least a handful of pros will find it in the Open after hitting a wayward tee shot and forced to layup.

Commie, ;)

In Kalen's round there, he hit a 4 iron 3rd shot to a pin in a bowl that allowed his ball to roll close enough for him to birdie. How is a par 5 with a 4 iron third a short par 5? ;)

That's why I play in hacker grudge matches with you instead of on tour....duh!!   ;D

That was my only birdie of the day.....a bit too late though.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »

Kalen,

Have you not learned from the website that designing for tour pros is the wrong way to go?
Are you not the "Sandman" that is famous for not being able to escape a very tame bunker?
Would you not think that if they were going to put a deep bunker there, that it should have been akin to the bunker in front of the 5th green that even you can escape backwards from?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Essig

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »
Rich,

I would totally agree on that 1st part.  From what I've read and seen, these tweaks are indeed like shipping a hot fix/semi-annual updates, as opposed to the 1.1 and 1.2 type changes that have occurred at EH.

P.S. I do love the new bunker, but understand i'm in the massive minority on that one.  Its quirky, and I love quirk in almost all its forms.
DITTO... Agree with every word!!!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
With apologies to Dr. Seuss, do I like this? oh no I do not:

It's clumsy.
It will only come into play for the mid to high handicapper who won't be able to get out.  Always a treat having to pick up on the last hole.  
It sets a dangerous precedent to tinker with the golf course.
The clean edges don't fit with rugged/jagged lines that are the golf course's visual strength.
Looks like what happens with you give a man with too much time on his hands a machine that stands idle.

As a heretofore unabashed supporter of Chambers Bay, I think it's awful.

The only redeeming quality is that even Dustin Johnson will know he's in a bunker.

Mike

Man trap.  A bunker inthe middle of the pro's layup zone is always a good thing because it may pset them. A bit Leary of the slopes of the grass
leading to the sand, it seems like a ball will likely be propelled to the front or back edges, leaving a very difficult recovery. If it can be said that every course has an easiest hole, this will be the hardest hazard, on the penultimate shot.

William_G

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
Glad to see Richard Dhoi is alive here.

There is no doubt that I will avoid that sand trap/bunker/invagination on 18 at all costs if I care at all about my score.

Look forward to playing CB in 2012.
It's all about the golf!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

It's clumsy.
It will only come into play for the mid to high handicapper who won't be able to get out.  Always a treat having to pick up on the last hole.  
It sets a dangerous precedent to tinker with the golf course.
The clean edges don't fit with rugged/jagged lines that are the golf course's visual strength.
Looks like what happens with you give a man with too much time on his hands a machine that stands idle.

As a heretofore unabashed supporter of Chambers Bay, I think it's awful.

The only redeeming quality is that even Dustin Johnson will know he's in a bunker.

Mike

Man trap.  A bunker inthe middle of the pro's layup zone is always a good thing because it may pset them. A bit Leary of the slopes of the grass
leading to the sand, it seems like a ball will likely be propelled to the front or back edges, leaving a very difficult recovery. If it can be said that every course has an easiest hole, this will be the hardest hazard, on the penultimate shot.

I believe that this bunker does not fit in with the rest of the course but they wanted a bunker that was a real hazard for the pros. I think they should grow the grass up on the sides so some of the shots get hung up and actually cost you a stroke. That type of hazard would require a pro to chip out. A pro will have no trouble hitting the green from the bottom of this bunker.

If the bunker does not work out, they can just fill it back in with sand.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »

Commie, ;)

Driver - Driver - 4-iron.  That ain't no short hole.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »

Mike - for you - with appologies to The Open Dr. Suess

Chambers Bay was good but
it was too easy to play.
So we sat in the clubhouse
On a typical cold, wet day.

Bruce sat there with Bobby,
they sat there those two.
And the USGA said,
“How we think there is something to do!”

Too wide are your fairways
Nothing to catch the ball.
So they sat in the clubhouse.
They redesigned all….

I had more but thought I best stop....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »

Commie, ;)

Mark,

I'm fairly short off the tee.  And I went...

3w, 5w, 5 iron into 18 on the day we played it.

Sean Leary

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »

Commie, ;)

Mark,

I'm fairly short off the tee.  And I went...

3w, 5w, 5 iron into 18 on the day we played it.

From which tee?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »
Jones did not build that bunker on 18, it is not his idea.  That is NOT a Jones contribution...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Sean Leary

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »
Jay,

Define build?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »
I propose the following name for the new bunker in the 18th fairway:  Brazilian.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

William_G

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 11:52:21 PM »
I propose the following name for the new bunker in the 18th fairway:  Brazilian.

hahaha, 2nd that!
It's all about the golf!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
Sean,

We played the Sand tees.  The cards says its 514 from there.

Sean Leary

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
KB,

The back tee is almost 100 yds back from there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
KB,

Understood, but I have nowhere near the distance compared to the big boys.  I hit a pulled 3w 200 yards, then popped up my 5w 175 yards, and then hit a 155 yard 5 iron.  These guys hit all of those clubs at least 50-60 yards longer than that.

With the fast and firm conditions and prevailing tail wind, do you really think most of those guys won't be doing 320-330 off the tee during the Open?  (The bigger hitters doing 350-360).  Many will easily be getting home/greenside in 2 and most of the rest won't have much more than 75-80 yards in for thier approach.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 12:19:48 PM »
KB,

Understood, but I have nowhere near the distance compared to the big boys.  I hit a pulled 3w 200 yards, then popped up my 5w 175 yards, and then hit a 155 yard 5 iron.  These guys hit all of those clubs at least 50-60 yards longer than that.

With the fast and firm conditions and prevailing tail wind, do you really think most of those guys won't be doing 320-330 off the tee during the Open?  (The bigger hitters doing 350-360).  Many will easily be getting home/greenside in 2 and most of the rest won't have much more than 75-80 yards in for thier approach.

If all that you say is true, then what good is a pot bunker 120 yards short of the green?
Why would anyone put a pot bunker there on a "short par 5"?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
KB,

If all that you say is true, then what good is a pot bunker 120 yards short of the green?
Why would anyone put a pot bunker there on a "short par 5"?

To punish the short hitters, those who don't hit a good 2nd shot, or are considering layup after finding a bunker with the tee shot.

For the medium and longer hitters who find the fairway, it won't even be in play for them.

OR

If the winds switch and its in thier face off the tee, then that bunker would wreak havoc for all but the bubba watsons and phil micklesons.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »

I'll post details, only cause your asking Garland.  ;)

I hit a mediocre drive out left of the bunkers.  Then a solid 3 wood, which left me about 170 in to an elevated green.

I then hit a 4 IRON, effect for Garland, to 4 feet and made the birdie putt.  Too little too late though!!  :'(

Methinks ginkgo biloba is the prescription for you. ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »

I hit a mediocre drive out left of the bunkers.  Then a solid 3 wood, which left me about 170 in to an elevated green.

I then hit a 4 IRON, effect for Garland, to 4 feet and made the birdie putt.  Too little too late though!!  :'(

So I was off by a club...big D!  Either way the result was the same.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »

I think Sean's point is that you hit three long clubs to get home on a 514 yard hole, because at sea level the ball doesn't go as far. Although it probably does go farther at Chambers Bay from run than anywhere else in the Pacific northwest west of the Cascase Mountains, a 600+ yard par five is not a short par five.

Sean Leary

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »

I think Sean's point is that you hit three long clubs to get home on a 514 yard hole, because at sea level the ball doesn't go as far. Although it probably does go farther at Chambers Bay from run than anywhere else in the Pacific northwest west of the Cascase Mountains, a 600+ yard par five is not a short par five.

Precisely. I am not saying it isn't reachable, I am saying its never a short par 5. Especially since the last bit is uphill....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back