News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Southern NJ Golf This Weekend
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »
I've only been back in Upstate a week, but I'm already sick of the cold.  I know there had been some discussion about golf in early March in Southern New Jersey.  I don't know what conditions are like there, but what are some thoughts on doing another GCA gathering this weekend in Southern New Jersey?  Anybody interested? I'm thinking either Friday or Saturday...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:34:00 PM by JNC Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Joe Bausch

Re: Southern NJ Golf This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:05:03 AM »
Which executive golf course are you thinking of?  I can likely do either day, maybe leaning slightly toward Saturday.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:23 AM »
Come on Joe, open up, invite the guys to Galloway - it would be nice if they would let some GCA guys on the course as it is really good. 

I will tell you about a sleeper course in south Jersey that Matt Ward turned me on to which I think is a whole lot of fun - Sea Oaks. check it out.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:56 AM »
I'd be in for Saturday but can't on Friday.  

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »
John Lyon:

With the latest warm up, a bunch of Philadelphia and central NJ courses are bound to be open. Probably a bit closer for you.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
What Philly or Central NJ would you recommend we play?  I don't mind the drive to the AC area, but it would be nice to get closer.

Saturday sounds like a good day.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
SCC opens back up today.  I can call and see if all the snow is gone.

Mark

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 08:47:04 AM »
What Philly or Central NJ would you recommend we play?  I don't mind the drive to the AC area, but it would be nice to get closer.

Saturday sounds like a good day.

I'm unavailable - but if Mark's offer can hold, I recommend you take that.

Sev K-H Keil

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »
I played Galloway this weekend and --- considering the time of the year --- it was in great shape.

I'm not sure whether I can make it again this weekend, but I'm always happy to send GCAers, just PM me.

Also, if some of you would like, I can host a little GCA outing this spring... While I'm not a Fazio fan per se, GNGC is an absolute gem.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:58:10 AM »
Wow, Schuylkill and Galloway both sound like great options, thanks gents.  What say others?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:08:55 AM »
Its 43 dollars to play this weekend.  I called the golf shop and the snow is pretty much gone except for a few small areas in the trees.  I will go out on a limb and offer this suggestion.  If we know that Galloway is in good shape, I suggest we give Schuylkill a few weeks to tidy up and head up there in the middle of March.  Thoughts?

Mark

JNC Lyon

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
I would love to play Schuylkill, and it is fairly close to where I am.  However, I agree that if Galloway is in good shape and we are able to play there, it would be a better choice for this weekend.

Imagine that, I'm picking a Fazio over a Ross!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
JNC, et al:

Couple of suggestions for those inclined to believe what I write matters.

Check out the George Fazio Ocean County at Atlantis in Tuckerton (exit 58 GS Pkwy) -- in fact, as Jerry K alluded to -- head over tope Sea Oaks which is the same exit and just minutes off the GS Pkwy.

If you need another public option -- Buena Vista (Gordon design off Rte 40 and minutes west of AC) is a decent alternative.

No doubt the opportunity at GN is a very solid choice for those who have never been.

Enjoy ...

p.s. I may hop over and play that fun executive layout that's nearby !

JNC Lyon

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28:49 AM »
Matt,

I'm always interested to hear what you have to say about Jersey golf.  Buena Vista sounds like a good option in terms of classic layouts.

Work on the wedge game before heading to the Bay! ;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
JNC:

All jokes aside -- George Fazio's work at the former Atlantis -- now called Ocean County at Atlantis -- I believe was his first or very early efforts in designing -- may have been done when he was the pro at PV.

The layout at Atlantis is quite interesting -- especially holes like the downhill par-3 6th. Gets little attention because too many of the CCFAD types in the AC area draw more play because of their 24/7 publicity.

Buena Vista is good but Atlantis has the better consistency ... just realize turf quality will be so-so depending upon how they have fared this winter. Need another choice -- try Vineyard at Renault -- just north of AC and nicely done layout.

I will most certainly work on my wedge game before returning to the Bay !

Enjoy ...

p.s. Don't forget Sea Oaks too !

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 11:30:33 AM »
I was joking around with Joe about Galloway but it is always nice to get an invitation (I don't live in the area and not available) - I would guess that the cost would be substantially higher than the others but we are talking about a really top notch modern.

archie_struthers

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »

Hey guys , if you want to play Greate Bay this weekend  I think I can get you a competitive rate LOL The golf course is quite good and has lots of Willie Park (1923-25 ???)  left.  It's very playable ...and challenging ! Looks easy , plays hard

After golf you can eat there or have a choice of three excellent bars right around the corner with exceptional food ...   Charlies  ( chiciken wings et al )  Anchorage  (super burgers )  or Gregory's  (taco's )   .    I can't play Saturday but might be able to slip over for a cold draft afterwards
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:13:03 PM by archie_struthers »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »
Thanks for the invite Archie, Greate Bay sounds and looks cool as well.

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »
 Friday is the orchestra ( I'm a renaissance man!) so Saturday is great. We should  take Archie up on his offer particularly if he will include an educational session.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
Friday is the orchestra ( I'm a renaissance man!) so Saturday is great. We should  take Archie up on his offer particularly if he will include an educational session.

How are you going to convince him to drive all the way to the diner in Newtown Square?

John Shimony

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
Saturday works for me.  Weather channel says high of 54 with 30% chance of showers. 
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Michael Blake

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
OK John L,

I'm beginning to worry about you.

You have the rest of your life to enjoy golf course architecture and fun times with GCA'ers, BUT, you only have 3 months left as a 21 year-old college student before you graduate.  As much as I enjoy playing golf with you, I am pleading with you to stop taking three day weekends down here with us 30-50 year olds...only until you graduate.

Enjoy your final months of college!  You don't get that time back.

Just some friendly advice.   :)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
Mike,

Don't worry, I enjoy college plenty.  This trip should only be a one-day, so I still have a couple days to whoop it up.

Interestingly, many folks have told me to make all these trips now because I'd have no time after college.  My solution: make some trips now...and later as well.

I'm also a serious golf addict.  Do you know a good rehab facility?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
JNC, et al:

Greate Bay is a fun layout and used to be the site for the LPGA when in town.

Ir's too bad the original Stone Harbor doesn't have the famed "jaws" hole around any longer.

Talk about a discussion item for any 19th hole !

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
Mike,

Don't worry, I enjoy college plenty.  This trip should only be a one-day, so I still have a couple days to whoop it up.

Interestingly, many folks have told me to make all these trips now because I'd have no time after college.  My solution: make some trips now...and later as well.

I'm also a serious golf addict.  Do you know a good rehab facility?

JNC-Rehab is for quitters.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back